[FULL]A Collection of Anglo-Saxon Poetry (The Exeter Book) - kit

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Codex Exoniensis (The Exeter Book) A Collection of Anglo-Saxon Poetry, translated by Benjamin Thorpe (1782 - 1870)
The Exeter Book (Codex Exoniensis). This book was presented to his Cathedral by Leofric, the first Bishop of Exeter, about the middle of the 11th century. It is preserved in the Cathedral Library at Exeter; the first leaves are missing, and the last leaves are injured; the handwriting of the MS belongs probably to the first half of the 11th century.<br><br>In the catalogue of Leofric’s donations to his cathedral, this volume is entered as 'one great English book on various subjects, composed in verse'.<br><br>The Exeter Book is the largest extant manuscript of Old English literature and containing approximately one sixth of the Old English poetry that survives.<br><br>The most striking characteristics of Anglo-Saxon Poetry are: inversion of phrase; redundance of metaphor; “parallelism,” or repetition in synonymous terms of the same act or idea. Both rhyme and alliteration are found in Anglo-Saxon Poetry, but rhyme is less generally introduced. The structure of the verse is trochaic; the line is divided into two halves by the Caesura, each half line having two stressed syllables, the, unstressed syllables varying in number; the half lines are associated by alliteration, one stressed syllable at least in each half line beginning with a similar consonant, or vowel. Usually the alliteration falls on the two stressed syllables in the first half line and the first stressed syllable in the second. (Summary by Marian Edwardes and Preface)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/cu31924013337617/page/n3/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of Codex Exoniensis*.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Codex Exoniensis - The Exeter Book. A Collection of Anglo-Saxon Poetry, translated by Benjamin Thorpe.
Section Title."

*Ex-own-ee-en-sis
Special notes:
  • Please only read the English translation.
  • If the text is missing (Marked by asterisks etc.), you can say "(Reader's) Note: The text is missing here. End of (Reader's) note" or (my favorite) "Here there is a lacuna in the text". For a long series, you could just say "Missing text" or "Lacuna" each time.
  • This text can be difficult. If you have problems, post in the thread for help.
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Codex Exoniensis - The Exeter Book. A Collection of Anglo-Saxon Poetry, translated by Benjamin Thorpe."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: exeterbook_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. exeterbook_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on March 15th, 2024, 3:12 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL 43 27-28
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I will DPL this.

Although I would prefer to call this project simply The Exeter Book, we'll use the subtitle as the title and I've put its common name in brackets so that it's searchable.

Sections:
  1. To Jesus Christ (414 words)
  2. To the Virgin Mary (690 words)
  3. On the Nativity (690 words)
  4. On the same (828 words)
  5. To the Trinity (138 words)
  6. On the Nativity (138 words)
  7. On the Nativity and Ascension (414 words)
  8. On the Ascension and the Harrowing of Hell (690 words)
  9. Hymn of Praise and Thanksgiving (552 words)
  10. Hymn in continuation of the foregoing (690 words)
  11. Poems on-the Day of Judgment, I.——III. (2346 words)
  12. On the Crucifixion (828 words)
  13. On the Day of Judgment, I.II. (1656 words)
  14. On the Crucifixion etc. (690 words)
  15. Of Souls after Death &c, I.II. (1380 words)
  16. Poem, Moral and Religious (276 words)
  17. The Legend of St. Guthlac Part 1 (3588 words)
  18. The Legend of St. Guthlac Part 2 (3312 words)
  19. The Legend of St. Guthlac Part 3 (3450 words)
  20. The Story of Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah paraphrased (1518 words)
  21. The Phoenix Part 1 (2484 words)
  22. The Phoenix Part 2 (3450 words)
  23. The Legend of St. Juliana Part 1 (2760 words)
  24. The Legend of St. Juliana Part 2 (3036 words)
  25. The Wanderer (828 words)
  26. On the Endowments and Pursuits of Men (828 words)
  27. A Father’s Instruction to his Son (690 words)
  28. The Seafarer (828 words)
  29. Monitory Poem (552 words)
  30. The Scop or Scald’s Tale (1104 words)
  31. On the Various Fortunes of Men (690 words)
  32. Gnomic Verses, I.——III (1656 words)
  33. On the Wonders of the Creation (690 words)
  34. Riming Poem (276 words)
  35. The Panther (552 words)
  36. The Whale (552 words)
  37. A Fragment (138 words)
  38. A Departed Soul's Address to the Body, I. (828 words)
  39. A Departed Soul's Address to the Body, II. (276 words)
  40. Deor the Scald's Complaint (276 words)
  41. Riddles Part 1 (2622 words)
  42. Riddles Part 2 (2622 words)
  43. Riddles Part 3 (2760 words)
  44. The Exile's Complaint (414 words)
  45. On the Day of Judgment (828 words)
  46. A Supplication (828 words)
  47. On the Resurrection and the Harrowing of Hell (966 words)
  48. Religious Poem
  49. A Fragment
  50. The Lord’s Prayer paraphrased
  51. Maxims
  52. Riddles (276 words)
  53. A Fragment (276 words)
  54. The Ruin (276 words)
  55. Riddles (2898 words)
Last edited by InTheDesert on September 5th, 2023, 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

great find ! This brings me back down memory lane to my university days where I studied Old and Middle English :9: fun times.

Are you planning on including the Old English text as well ?

Sonia
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Kitty wrote: September 5th, 2023, 2:00 am great find ! This brings me back down memory lane to my university days where I studied Old and Middle English :9: fun times.

Are you planning on including the Old English text as well ?

Sonia
Just edited the first post. Like in this one, we'll just read the English. There should be enough problems dealing with the runes in the riddles as it is...
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

InTheDesert wrote: September 5th, 2023, 2:05 amJust edited the first post. Like in this one, we'll just read the English. There should be enough problems dealing with the runes in the riddles as it is...
I guess you are probably right. Though I will probably use one of those poems and record them in the original OE for the multilingual project. My OE is a bit rusty but I may still be able to handle some short poem.

As for the title...is there a reason why you want to use the lengthy subtitle ? The title of this particular book edition is "Codex Exoniensis", why not go with that ? And in brackets you can easily put "Exeter book". The subtitle is more optional.

I would suggest as intro:
"Section # of Codex Exoniensis.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Codex Exonienis - The Exeter Book. A Collection of Anglo-Saxon Poetry, translated by Benjamin Thorpe.
Section Title."
Sonia
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Kitty wrote: September 5th, 2023, 2:10 am I guess you are probably right. Though I will probably use one of those poems and record them in the original OE for the multilingual project. My OE is a bit rusty but I may still be able to handle some short poem.
Be my guest!
Kitty wrote: September 5th, 2023, 2:10 am As for the title...is there a reason why you want to use the lengthy subtitle ? The title of this particular book edition is "Codex Exoniensis", why not go with that ? And in brackets you can easily put "Exeter book". The subtitle is more optional.
My thinking is that 1) It's much easier to pronounce "A Collection of Anglo-Saxon Poetry". I have a feeling that it will cause fewer problems. And 2) It's much clearer what it actually is. Codex Exoniensis is a name that scholar would know but the general public know it as The Exeter Book or don't know it at all so the subtitle clarifies the contents. But I will follow you preferences.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

InTheDesert wrote: September 5th, 2023, 2:14 amMy thinking is that 1) It's much easier to pronounce "A Collection of Anglo-Saxon Poetry". I have a feeling that it will cause fewer problems. And 2) It's much clearer what it actually is. Codex Exoniensis is a name that scholar would know but the general public know it as The Exeter Book or don't know it at all so the subtitle clarifies the contents. But I will follow you preferences.
But the popular Exeter Book title is in there as well, to clarify. I think there are more obscure books than that we already recorded ;)

Will be back with the MW soon

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, some amendments made in the first post and now your MW is ready to be filled in. Is it ok for you this way ? It looks very neat and to the point to me at least.

We will move to Readers Wanted once the MW is complete.

Sonia
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Kitty wrote: September 5th, 2023, 2:37 am all right, some amendments made in the first post and now your MW is ready to be filled in. Is it ok for you this way ? It looks very neat and to the point to me at least.

We will move to Readers Wanted once the MW is complete.

Sonia
Ready to go!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

InTheDesert wrote: September 5th, 2023, 3:08 amReady to go!
that was fast...ok off we go. And I will probably read one or two poems in your project as well :)

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

May I read section 8?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

alanmapstone wrote: September 5th, 2023, 3:55 am May I read section 8?
I wondered if we might see you here! Assigned.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

czandra

Post by czandra »

PL notes on s. 1:

:39 - fast; I hear vast
2:32 - had hidden lain, I hear it inverted (don't know if you want word-perfect here)

I'll record section 30.

Cz
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

czandra wrote: September 7th, 2023, 4:17 am PL notes on s. 1:

:39 - fast; I hear vast
2:32 - had hidden lain, I hear it inverted (don't know if you want word-perfect here)

I'll record section 30.

Cz
Marked and assigned, thankyou!