Amurath to Amurath, by Gertrude Bell - lt

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Amurath to Amurath, by Gertrude Bell (1868 - 1926)
Gertrude Bell was a renowned explorer and chronicler of the Middle East. In this book, she details a five month journey, spanning a period of turmoil and revolution. At times terrifying, at times exhilarating, her experiences show a fascinating and unparalleled view of a period of change in the region. (Summary by LynneT)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/52495

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_Bell (Gertrude Bell)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 10
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1911
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography

Keywords that describe the book: revolution, civil war, Middle East

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Note:
Please ignore all captions.
The chapters are long and have been divided over 2 sections. Where you make the break is up to you.

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of Amurath to Amurath. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Amurath to Amurath, by Gertrude Bell. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Amurath to Amurath, by Gertrude Bell."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: amurathtoamurath_##_bell_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. amurathtoamurath_01_bell_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: lynnet

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I could read the preface including the Arabic quote if you like.

Michael
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Kazbek wrote: September 4th, 2023, 5:58 pm I could read the preface including the Arabic quote if you like.

Michael
That would be great, but I was told the English version was a direct translation. Feel free to show off though 8-)
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Lynnet wrote: September 4th, 2023, 8:04 pm That would be great, but I was told the English version was a direct translation. Feel free to show off though 8-)
That's what I'm here for. :mrgreen:

Michael
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Hi Lynette
As you know, this is a special area of interest for me. May I DPL?
Paul
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

PaulWelford wrote: September 7th, 2023, 10:24 am Hi Lynette
Paul
Absolutely
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Lynnet wrote: September 7th, 2023, 10:48 am
PaulWelford wrote: September 7th, 2023, 10:24 am Hi Lynette
Paul
Absolutely
😊
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Should we be in Readers Wanted?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

PaulWelford wrote: September 10th, 2023, 3:00 pm Should we be in Readers Wanted?
Possibly :wink:
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Oh my gosh. This is such an amazing project (and she was such an amazing woman!), I can’t resist laying claim to
Sections 2 and 3,
ALEPPO TO TELL AḤMAR
and ALEPPO TO TELL AḤMAR continued.
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Owlivia wrote: September 10th, 2023, 3:15 pm Oh my gosh. This is such an amazing project (and she was such an amazing woman!), I can’t resist laying claim to
Sections 2 and 3,
ALEPPO TO TELL AḤMAR
and ALEPPO TO TELL AḤMAR continued.
Certainly.
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Section 2
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/amarathtoamarath_02_bell_128kb.mp3
39:26.43

There is every possibility that I have mangled the Arabic names beyond recognition. :(
Only a few pronunciations were discoverable online.
Corrections welcomed.

best,
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Owlivia wrote: September 19th, 2023, 4:56 pm Section 2

There is every possibility that I have mangled the Arabic names beyond recognition. :(
Corrections welcomed.

best,
Thank you.
Worst case scenario, you can ask in pronunciation help and someone may send you either an audio file or phonetic pronunciation. I’m no help in this matter, but Paul or Michael might have some idea
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Corrections welcomed.

best,
Hi Deborah
Beautiful reading overall of an, at times, beautifully written chapter.

You definitely haven’t mangled anything beyond recognition. Most of the names and some Arabic words could be improved in their pronunciation but a) you have a lot of leeway as there are lots of Arabic dialects b) I’m no expert but have lived in Arabia for over eight years so have picked up a lot c) it depends what standard you want to set yourself. If the standard is English speaker who isn’t quite right but is still understandable (standard PL) then you’ve passed already. If you want to be English speaker who more or less matches the way Arabic speakers would pronounce these words I can send you an audio file which will both correct these and stand you in good stead for any future passages as many of the improvements would be easy to apply to other words. However I would hesitate to re-record these as, if you’re like me, your voice never sounds the same when you come back to re-do a specific word and I’m therefore tempted to re-do whole sentences or sections and they’re not really bad enough to warrant that. Totally up to you. Happy to help either way.

Paul
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

PaulWelford wrote: September 19th, 2023, 9:01 pm

Corrections welcomed.

best,
Hi Deborah
Beautiful reading overall of an, at times, beautifully written chapter.

You definitely haven’t mangled anything beyond recognition. Most of the names and some Arabic words could be improved in their pronunciation but a) you have a lot of leeway as there are lots of Arabic dialects b) I’m no expert but have lived in Arabia for over eight years so have picked up a lot c) it depends what standard you want to set yourself. If the standard is English speaker who isn’t quite right but is still understandable (standard PL) then you’ve passed already. If you want to be English speaker who more or less matches the way Arabic speakers would pronounce these words I can send you an audio file which will both correct these and stand you in good stead for any future passages as many of the improvements would be easy to apply to other words. However I would hesitate to re-record these as, if you’re like me, your voice never sounds the same when you come back to re-do a specific word and I’m therefore tempted to re-do whole sentences or sections and they’re not really bad enough to warrant that. Totally up to you. Happy to help either way.

Paul
Actually I’ve just realised/ remembered by re-reading the post about the Arabic intro that Michael is probably a much stronger Arabic speaker than me so I will bow out to him if he wants to chip in.