[COMPLETE] Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I could take Chapter 3 if someone else is willing to PL it for me.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
victoriaalicebell

Post by victoriaalicebell »

Winnifred wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 10:48 am I could take Chapter 3 if someone else is willing to PL it for me.

Thanks,
I would love for you to take it, although I'm not sure who should PL. I don't have a whole lot of time to do it myself.
Thanks,
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

victoriaalicebell wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 11:11 am
Winnifred wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 10:48 am I could take Chapter 3 if someone else is willing to PL it for me.

Thanks,
I would love for you to take it, although I'm not sure who should PL. I don't have a whole lot of time to do it myself.
Thanks,
I could always post in the Proof listeners needed thread. It would just require modifying the template a bit. I'll look into that once I've recorded it. Or perhaps one of the readers here would be interested to do it?

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
victoriaalicebell

Winnifred wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 12:21 pm
victoriaalicebell wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 11:11 am

Thanks,
Thanks,
I could always post in the Proof listeners needed thread. It would just require modifying the template a bit. I'll look into that once I've recorded it. Or perhaps one of the readers here would be interested to do it?

Thanks,
Okay, whatever works is good with me. :thumbs:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Chapter 3 is now in the Magic Window and ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/northangerabbey_03_austen_128kb.mp3 (11:29). As I'm the DPL, I can't PL my own reading. Anyone out there interested to proof listen to it?

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Keight0

Post by Keight0 »

Hello, I have just uploaded Ch 14 :)
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/northangerabbey_14_austen_128kb.mp3

The length is 20:07.

Let me know if there is anything I can change!

Thanks!
-Kate
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Winnifred wrote: October 26th, 2023, 11:38 am Chapter 3 is now in the Magic Window and ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/northangerabbey_03_austen_128kb.mp3 (11:29). As I'm the DPL, I can't PL my own reading. Anyone out there interested to proof listen to it?

Thanks,
I'll do it now.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Winnifred wrote: October 26th, 2023, 11:38 am Chapter 3 is now in the Magic Window and ready for PL:

Thanks,
Nicely done! PL OK!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

KevinS wrote: October 27th, 2023, 6:11 pm

Thanks,
Nicely done! PL OK!
Thanks!
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Keight0 wrote: October 27th, 2023, 9:41 am Hello, I have just uploaded Ch 14 :)

Thanks!
-Kate
Hi Keight,

Your reading is enthusiastic and lively. I have a couple of corrections for you, and a couple of suggestions. First the corrections:
  • At 6:32, I hear “They dislike imagination without raising interest.” But the text reads “They display imagination without raising interest.” As this changes the meaning, you’ll need to correct it.
  • At 9:10, I hear “…may perhaps be brought to acknowledge that it is very well worth-while to be tormented for two or three days of one’s life…” but the text reads “…may perhaps be brought to acknowledge that it is very well worth-while to be tormented for two or three years of one’s life…” I think your listener might well be puzzled by this change, as it probably takes more than 2 or 3 days to learn to read!
  • At 13:37, I hear “Government, said Lord Henry,…” Please snip out that “Lord,” as Henry’s a clergyman, not a nobleman. :lol:
The three corrections above are essential to give this recording a PL OK.

For the suggestions, your reading is marred by a lot of small noises (clicks, mouth noises, and dull thumps). The thumps are, I believe, from you knocking against your mic or something near it. You can avoid those in future recordings by not moving about so much while you're reading, and not touching your mic. The clicks and small mouth noises could be remedied through use of the De-Clicker, a free Audacity plug-in that works more effectively than Audacity's built-in click remover.

You do have to download it (see https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/updated-de-clicker-and-new-de-esser-for-speech/34283 and look for the link at the bottom of the first post).

To install it in Audacity:
1. Download the De-Clicker.
2. Open Audacity, and go to Tools > Nyquist Plugin Installer.
3. Click Browse and locate your downloaded plugin.
4. Click Open and then OK and OK again.
5. Restart Audacity.

The plugin should now be available in your plugins list.
Source: ‪https://support.audacityteam.org/basics/installing-plugins‬‬‬‬‬

If it doesn’t show up in your Effects menu, you may have to enable it in the plugin manager:
1. Click Effects > Plugin Manager.
2. Scroll through the list till you find the De-Clicker.
3. Select it.
4. Click Enable.

To use it, highlight a section containing the offending click — it works best to select more than just the sound you want gone so the plugin has some kind of baseline of what is "normal," and can recognize what to remove. Apply it only to those areas that seem to have clicks in them, as it may overly soften the sound of your p, t, k, and b sounds.

I leave it up to you whether you want to try applying the De-clicker to this recording or not. It would improve the reading, but it's not essential.

Please make the corrections above, reupload the file for spot PL, and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Last edited by Winnifred on October 31st, 2023, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
victoriaalicebell

I've put chapter 27 and 31 in the MW. To make things simpler, I rerecorded chapter 27. :mrgreen:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

victoriaalicebell wrote: October 31st, 2023, 9:07 am I've put chapter 27 and 31 in the MW. To make things simpler, I rerecorded chapter 27. :mrgreen:
Hi Victoria,

Chapter 27 is PL OK. You still occasionally brush up against your mic, but there's less of it now. Something to watch out for in future recordings.

Chapter 31 needs a couple of fixes:
  • At 0:58, there are a few words missing. I hear “'Catherine would make a sad, heedless young housekeeper to be sure', but quick was the consolation of there being nothing like practice.” But the text reads “'Catherine would make a sad, heedless young housekeeper to be sure,' was her mother’s foreboding remark; but quick was the consolation of there being nothing like practice.” Please add that phrase in.
  • At 2:16, I hear “but they could not resent it; and they departed, …” but the text reads “but they could not resent it; and they parted, …” “Departed” suggests that they left together, which is the opposite of what they actually do in parting.
Only a couple more chapters to come! Nearly finished.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Keight0

Post by Keight0 »

Winnifred wrote: October 28th, 2023, 2:36 pm
Keight0 wrote: October 27th, 2023, 9:41 am Hello, I have just uploaded Ch 14 :)

Thanks!
-Kate
Hi Keight,

Your reading is enthusiastic and lively. I have a couple of corrections for you, and a couple of suggestions. First the corrections:
  • At 6:32, I hear “They dislike imagination without raising interest.” But the text reads “They display imagination without raising interest.” As this changes the meaning, you’ll need to correct it.
  • At 9:10, I hear “…may perhaps be brought to acknowledge that it is very well worth-while to be tormented for two or three days of one’s life…” but the text reads “…may perhaps be brought to acknowledge that it is very well worth-while to be tormented for two or three years of one’s life…” I think your listener might well be puzzled by this change, as it probably takes more than 2 or 3 days to learn to read!
  • At 13:37, I hear “Government, said Lord Henry,…” Please snip out that “Lord,” as Henry’s a clergyman, not a nobleman. :lol:
The three corrections above are essential to give this recording a PL OK.

For the suggestions, your reading is marred by a lot of small noises (clicks, mouth noises, and dull thumps). The thumps are, I believe, from you knocking against your mic or something near it. You can avoid those in future recordings by not moving about so much while you're reading, and not touching your mic. The clicks and small mouth noises could be remedied through use of the De-Clicker, a free Audacity plug-in that works more effectively than Audacity's built-in click remover.

You do have to download it (see https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/updated-de-clicker-and-new-de-esser-for-speech/34283 and look for the link at the bottom of the first post).

To install it in Audacity:
1. Download the De-Clicker.
2. Open Audacity, and go to Tools > Nyquist Plugin Installer.
3. Click Browse and locate your downloaded plugin.
4. Click Open and then OK and OK again.
5. Restart Audacity.

The plugin should now be available in your plugins list.
Source: ‪https://support.audacityteam.org/basics/installing-plugins‬‬‬‬‬

If it doesn’t show up in your Effects menu, you may have to enable it in the plugin manager:
1. Click Effects > Plugin Manager.
2. Scroll through the list till you find the De-Clicker.
3. Select it.
4. Click Enable.

To use it, highlight a section containing the offending click — it works best to select more than just the sound you want gone so the plugin has some kind of baseline of what is "normal," and can recognize what to remove. Apply it only to those areas that seem to have clicks in them, as it may overly soften the sound of your p, t, k, and b sounds.

I leave it up to you whether you want to try applying the De-clicker to this recording or not. It would improve the reading, but it's not essential.

Please make the corrections above, reupload the file for spot PL, and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Hi Winnifred, thank you so much for all your feedback!! And I apologize for my very slow reply! I have been in the process of moving to a new city! My recording is still on the desktop in my family's home, but I will be back there in about a week. I will try to get the recording before then, but I just wanted to let you know that I may not be able to get it fixed and re-uploaded for another week or so, but I will certainly do it then! Thanks for the help and patience!

-Kate
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Keight0 wrote: November 8th, 2023, 12:52 pm Hi Winnifred, thank you so much for all your feedback!! And I apologize for my very slow reply! I have been in the process of moving to a new city! My recording is still on the desktop in my family's home, but I will be back there in about a week. I will try to get the recording before then, but I just wanted to let you know that I may not be able to get it fixed and re-uploaded for another week or so, but I will certainly do it then! Thanks for the help and patience!

-Kate

Hi Kate,

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Keight0

Post by Keight0 »

Hello, I have uploaded an updated ch 14 at last!

new length: 20:07

I have fixed the words you pointed out and I tried the de-clicker too, so hopefully that makes it a little smoother! Please let me know if there is anything I can still improve, and I will get to it much quicker this time!

Best wishes,

-Kate