COMPLETE[LATIN] Select Fables of Aesop by H. Clarke - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Selectae Fabulae Aesopi, or Select Fables of Aesop, by H. Clarke

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/selectae-fabulae-aesopi-or-select-fables-of-aesop-by-h-clarke/

This 18th-century Latin textbook presents 202 Aesop's fables in Latin, "with an English translation more literal than any yet extant, designed for the readier instruction of beginners in the Latin tongue." There are fables here from the classical tradition, along with fables from the Renaissance author Abstemius and other neo-Latin sources. The book has the Latin and English texts in facing columns, with italic font being used to help students connect the Latin words in the left column with the English words in the right column. This LibriVox recording has been made with the Latin fables and English fables in separate files so that you can listen to the fables in Latin and/or in English as preferred. The fables in the book are numbered from 1 to 202, which will help those who want to look at the fable text while listening to the recording. The book was popular and went through many printings in both England and in the United States; this recording was done from an 1787 edition printed in Boston. (Summary by Laura Gibbs)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/fabulaeaesopisel00unkn/

Target completion date: 2023-12-25

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: el7F482M
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 81
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1732
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Laura Gibbs
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: https://LauraGibbs.net
[/list]

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales

Keywords that describe the book: fables, aesop, Latin language, abstemius

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Selectae Fabulae Aesopi, or Select Fables of Aesop. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Selectae Fabulae Aesopi, or Select Fables of Aesop, by H. Clarke. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Selectae Fabulae Aesopi, or Select Fables of Aesop, by H. Clarke. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Selectae Fabulae Aesopi, or Select Fables of Aesop, by H. Clarke."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: selectaefabulaeaesopi_##_clarke_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. selectaefabulaeaesopi_01_clarke_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by laurakgibbs on September 9th, 2023, 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

I put a note above about a prospective prooflistener; I wasn't sure if I should add that into the template as I did. In any case, I have lined up a prooflistener who is able to prooflisten to both the Latin and the English (he is an Aesop scholar).
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Yep, we need more Latin! I MC this one for you, Laura! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready! Is your DPL going to register in the LV forum? That would be the best so that I can make sure he is credited properly, and so that we have a record in the forum of what the results are on his proofing. I did shorten your file name a bit, it will make life easier for you.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

icequeen wrote: August 25th, 2023, 4:43 pm OK, your MW is ready! Is your DPL going to register in the LV forum? That would be the best so that I can make sure he is credited properly, and so that we have a record in the forum of what the results are on his proofing. I did shorten your file name a bit, it will make life easier for you.
Yes, exactly! We talked about it today, and now that I have this forum address to share with him, I will let him know that he should get signed up at the Forum. I am really excited to collaborate with him on this... there are lots of Latin projects we could do with me reading and him proofing! (I'm a recently retired Latin teacher, with time to spend on LibriVox at last!).

As you can see, I'll be dividing my time back and forth between this and the Nassau "Where Animals Talk" book which is going really well (my prooflistener there has been so prompt and encouraging too!).
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, that sounds like a plan! Once he gets registered, have him post in this thread. Then I can get into the workflow system, and we will be ready to have some fun! We will wait here in this forum until he can get here.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
HectorTapia

Post by HectorTapia »

Hello, Ann and Laura! My account is officially activated, woo.
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

YAY! I am really excited about this. Clarke's system of alternating the italic and non-italic Latin words and then the corresponding phrases in English is weird, but the more I read from it, the more I like it. I am so curious what you will think! Ann/icequeen will get you listed as the DPL and then we can go go go. :clap:
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

HectorTapia wrote: August 29th, 2023, 9:23 am Hello, Ann and Laura! My account is officially activated, woo.
Welcome to LibriVox, Hector! Glad to have you on board!

I have some homework for you before we can begin. Here are the instructions for accessing the workflow system, which powers our Magic Window (MW). You will need to access the MW for the first time. Please do that as soon as you can, and let me know if you have any problems.

Also, here is the Guide for Proof Listeners. This will let you know what we are looking for when we proof listen a recording. Feel free to ask any questions, it takes a little bit before a new proof listener feels comfortable in the job.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Thanks so much, Ann!

And Hector, for the Latin prooflistening, I'd like to ask for what is called "word perfect" prooflistening, where you are looking at the Latin text to make sure I did not actually leave out a word, etc.
For the English parts, feel free to just listen and see if it sounds good... although you might enjoy looking at the text for the English also since you can see the Latin side by side and maybe better understand the sometimes oddly phrased English by looking at the Latin, ha ha.

Logging on to the Magic Window can be kind of hinky at first; I remember it took me a while to get comfortable with that. I'll be updating the Magic Window as I add the files (now I feel like a Magic Window magician!), so if you ever get stuck, you can always just let me know in a post here at the forum what file(s) you've listened to, what problems you heard if any, etc. I'm trying to do a good job of prooflistening myself on this project, so hopefully it will all go smoothly, but if you hear anything that's off that I need to fix, definitely let me know.

Also, because I have to run noise reduction on every file because of the background noise in my place, I'm doing the File Validation for every file before I upload it to make sure I denoised properly, so you don't need to do that, unless you want to learn how that works (it's a really nifty program!).

I'll be doing the files in Latin-English pairs, so for now I'm going to upload the preface (file 0), plus the first English and Latin fables, which will be files 1 (English) and 41 (Latin). So you'll have to scroll on down the Magic Window to see the Latin files which come after the English ones. :-)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Since we are all on board, we can move over to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
HectorTapia

Post by HectorTapia »

Despite reading the instructions over and over, I cannot seem to work the Magic Window -- it will not allow me to edit the status of a section. That said, both audio files have been listed to and are ready to go!
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

I don't mind doing the Magic Window part, Hector: I remember I had to somehow recreate my password multiple times before I finally got it set up so I could log on to the forum AND to the Magic Window. It's weird magic, ha ha.

Please confirm which files are PL OK since you just said both files; I'm guessing you didn't scroll down to listen to the Latin maybe? There are the 3 files available right now:
there is the preface, file 0
English fables 1-5, file 1
Latin fables 1-5, fable 41

That's how I will work going forward, with 1 and 41, then 2 and 42 and so on, so you can listen to the Latin and English together!

I've got 2 and 42 ready to go also, and I'll upload them as soon as we can mark 0, 1, and 41 all done. :D
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

After we talked on Friday, I marked the preface (section 0) and English 1 (fables 1-5) as PL OK, and Latin 41 (fabulae 1-5) is ready for you to listen to... and I also uploaded English 2 (fables 6-10) and Latin 42 (fabulae 6-10), so those are both ready for your listening pleasure also. :-)
HectorTapia

Post by HectorTapia »

Sections 3, 41, and 42 are done! I had so much fun listening along! :mrgreen: