MAGIC MOUNTAIN (Vol 2) - Thomas Mann (Trans Lowe-Porter) - ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

The Magic Mountain (Volume Two), by Thomas Mann (1875 - 1955), translated by Helen Tracy Lowe-Porter (1876 - 1963)

Volunteers outside the USA: Thomas Mann died in 1955. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.

Volunteers outside the USA: Helen Tracy Lowe-Porter died in 1963. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Thomas Mann’s epic novel depicts a decaying, corrupted European society on the eve of the First World War. Set in a luxurious sanatorium high up in the Swiss mountains, we follow the destinies of a variety of exotic characters – members of a bourgeois elite drawn from all parts of Europe. Most suffer from consumption, dream of a cure - yet are at the same time squeezing as much pleasure and distraction as they can out of a situation ever-shadowed by sickness, pain, and death. Part surreal comedy, part grim tragedy, part allegory, and part novel of ideas, Mann’s novel is regarded by many as one of the key literary texts of the twentieth century. (Summary by Steve Gough)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/magicmountainder1946mann/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2025-01-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: EqYslIUC
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Mann (Thomas Mann)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_Mountain
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 48
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1927
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Steve Gough
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: Steve Gough
[/list]

Genres for the project: General Fiction; Literary Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Magic Mountian (Volume Two). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Magic Mountian (Volume Two), by Thomas Mann, translated by Helen Tracy Lowe-Porter. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Magic Mountian (Volume Two), by Thomas Mann, translated by Helen Tracy Lowe-Porter. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Magic Mountian (Volume Two), by Thomas Mann, translated by Helen Tracy Lowe-Porter."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: magicmountian2_##_mann_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. magicmountian2_01_mann_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Annise

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Looks good -I'll set it up ......
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

I would like to DPL unless you already have someone else in mind.
Christine
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Thanks so much all, and expect the first sections to start coming soon... also just to say in my haste to get the project through the launchpad I mis-typed the Magic Mountain title above (Mountian not Mountain), but don't know how to change it....!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You can't change the database so I have changed it where it matters,
Is the etext link correct for volume ?
Anne
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Yes the link is correct as the text includes both volumes.
Thanks Anne. I should post my first sections very soon. PS Is anyone confirmed as my DPL?
Best Steve
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: August 26th, 2023, 1:40 am Yes the link is correct as the text includes both volumes.
Thanks Anne. I should post my first sections very soon. PS Is anyone confirmed as my DPL?
Best Steve
Hi Steve, I am confirmed as your DPL and have access to the MW.
Best,
Christine
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Great, thanks so much Christine and I should have my first section up early next week.... best Steve
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Hi Christine
As promised, here is section 1. Hope you enjoy listening to it:
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_01_mann_128kb.mp3
Best Steve
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: August 28th, 2023, 3:58 am Hi Christine
As promised, here is section 1. Hope you enjoy listening to it:
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_01_mann_128kb.mp3
Best Steve
Hi Steve, I will PL this asap.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 1
0:17 please remove "Read by Steve Gough" as you say that in the end.
21:26- 22:32 please remove the severally repeated intros for this duration of the recording
21:26 missing text "A sword-swallower like that doesn't ..... I am not much up on the subject. But how can a " (page 351- spans two paragraphs) just before "person who isn't sound live out there..."
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Sorry Christine, unhappy with the tone and impersonality of your notes and actually you are wrong on your first point as I can identify the reader at the start as the rubric clearly states. Be a little more human please, of I should like a new PL, or will do it myself, this is a long and arduous labour of love for me in my mid-senties and I ca't afford the additional agro of dealing with 'line manager' style commentaries every week.
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

I have just checked those other curious mistakes you have identified and it seems my editing programme (or me) went mad in the very final stage of the process. I had actually proof-read & corrected the entire recording, but then at the very last very last added a slightly new rubric to the intro. Somehow, bizarrely, 2 of my intro sections moved into the body of the audio. The first time this has ever happened in many years of LV recording, and maybe it was the gremlins at work as, Christine, I still don't think we will work well together as at the very least you might have made a joke out of my hapless technical error!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi Steve, I sincerely apologize to have offended you and right off the bat! I did wake up this morning and was like, "I didn't tell Steve how enjoyable I found his reading" I really would like to listen to this for you and I can really feel the presence of the characters as you read. I myself am in my mid sixties and am not half so good a reader. May I keep on?
Christine
P.S. Please forgive my pickiness for the note about your name. I am a long time rule follower with a bit of OCD. Its fine if you want to keep that in. I hope you will never take my PL notes as law. You are the reader and BC and as long as it is all ok with the MC. I only noted that because you had other edits, otherwise I would not have.
Hoping to continue,
Christine
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Now I feel utterly contrite and remorseful! Your S1 notes caught me at the head of the day with a head full of life worries. So your apology very willingly and hurriedly accepted, Christine - now I just need to remove all that intro-garbage and offer up a nice clean and hopelessly faultless audio, which I should do tomorrow.
Best wishes Steve