MAGIC MOUNTAIN (Vol 2) - Thomas Mann (Trans Lowe-Porter) - ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 13 is PL ok. I wish Mann would have kept calling him uncle and not switched to cousin. But maybe that was purposeful?
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Dear Christine, thanks for PL-S13 - and now here is S14 which concludes story of poor James Tienappel....
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_14_mann_128kb.mp3
(20.13)
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

PS on the uncle/cousin thing I confess I had not noticed!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: November 28th, 2023, 9:39 am Dear Christine, thanks for PL-S13 - and now here is S14 which concludes story of poor James Tienappel....
(20.13)
oh no!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

brownrottger wrote: November 28th, 2023, 12:44 pm
SteveGough wrote: November 28th, 2023, 9:39 am Dear Christine, thanks for PL-S13 - and now here is S14 which concludes story of poor James Tienappel....
(20.13)
oh no!
Oh, I thought he died on his short visit of "rescue". He may be back; one can't carry on forever being "extremely anemic". He has served to initiate a "turning point" for our hero, though.
MissValery

Post by MissValery »

I am sorry that this is off topic but I seem to be unable to send a private message to Steve. I actually just registered only to thank you, Steve, and of course those proofing your work 🙂. I find your reading of Mann so brilliant and on point, the fine irony in your voice is just perfect for Mann’s text. Thank you for making listening to this so enjoyable!
Best wishes
Katharina
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

You have made my day Katharina - made my month in fact! Not least because traversing volume two, like vol one, is a mammoth task for this seventy-five year old and it is so very reassuring to know that it is perhaps worth all the effort. NB most of the time I spend is in the editing as I make so many mistake when I do the readings - thankfully my background is in film-making so the editing process is something I love. Also thanks go to my wonderful proof listeners for both volumes - Anne and Christine - who have been such kind and supportive companions along the way.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's definitely worth the effort. most people seem to spend about 3 times as long editing as reading, more if the text is tricky. I'm waiting patiently to listen to volume 2.
I always smile when a newbie decides to read something long, it's hard to convince them that it is a major commitment even when you know what you are doing.

Anne
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Dear Christine - hope you are OK? Haven't heard back from you in recent days. Here is section fifteen (20.32), where we learn something of Naphta's dark history. I sweated a lot on this one as there seemed to be so many tricky pronunciations! :hmm:
Best Steve
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_15_mann_128kb.mp3
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: December 5th, 2023, 8:24 am Dear Christine - hope you are OK? Haven't heard back from you in recent days. Here is section fifteen (20.32), where we learn something of Naphta's dark history. I sweated a lot on this one as there seemed to be so many tricky pronunciations! :hmm:
Best Steve
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_15_mann_128kb.mp3
Sorry, I rely on notifications for my assignments. I can PL this today! :D Also, I forgot in my last post to include that Section 14 is PL ok. :oops:
Best,
Christine
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

You are a star, Christine. :D
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: December 5th, 2023, 9:07 am You are a star, Christine. :D
I'm joining your club. But, then, you are a SUPERstar. I wouldn't have anything nearly so great to listen to without you! :9:
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Superstar? You should hear all the swearing to myself on the audio out-takes when I get the words all wrong!!! :(
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: December 5th, 2023, 9:36 am Superstar? You should hear all the swearing to myself on the audio out-takes when I get the words all wrong!!! :(
Ohhh, same here!!! Also, about editing. It definitely takes me at least 10 times as much time to edit than to record. Sometimes I have to take out a chunk of several minutes length where I have said the same d____ word incorrectly 10 times!
Anyways, just finished Section 15. It is a marvelous piece of finished product and I am happy to know of Naptha's past. It really fits with his character! Section 15 is PL ok.
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

My experience exactly matches yours Christine, I sometimes fear I may never get the pesky word right as my brain seems to go into a dysfunctional loop.... thanks for the PL as always. Onwards (aargghh!)