MAGIC MOUNTAIN (Vol 2) - Thomas Mann (Trans Lowe-Porter) - ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: February 27th, 2024, 7:44 am Hello again Christine!
Here is section 26 (20.12) and the return of Joachim toward the centre of the stage (after a final round of verbal duelling by S and N). At last I say!
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_26_mann_128kb.mp3
Hi Steve,
I will be able to PL this today. Looking forward to it!
Best,
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Great job. A medical cliffhanger! Section 26 is PL ok.
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Thank you! I love the moments when Hans and Joachim cannot quite meet each other's eyes... so very poignant.... warmest wishes Steve
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Dear Christine, here is section 27 (23.50)
This section will speak for itself and I shall not spoil it for you, except to say that this is Thomas Mann at his best.
Very best as always
Steve
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_27_mann_128kb.mp3
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Dear Steve, Oh goodness, tears, tears. It is interesting how many viewpoints on death Mann is able to portray in such a few pages!
Great job giving them voice!
Best,
Christine
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Thank you Christine as always.
Yes it is so rich in its depiction of Joachim's passing and I confess I felt a bit choked reading it. I shall miss him and those large round innocent eyes!
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Dear Christine,

I have two links for you today because I decided to extend section 27 a few pages to the end of the chapter. It makes it a longish section at 34mins, but it means that the whole of Joachim's passing is contained in the same reading which I think is the better solution for the listener. I hope you will agree. In terms of your PL this means that the last ten minutes or so of the following re-uploaded S27 link are new and need checking (from 21.50 to the end)
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_27_mann_128kb.mp3.

Here is the second link - section 28 at 21.35 - and chapter seven begins at last!
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_28_mann_128kb.mp3

Very best as always

Steve
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: March 12th, 2024, 7:38 am Dear Christine,

I have two links for you today because I decided to extend section 27 a few pages to the end of the chapter. It makes it a longish section at 34mins, but it means that the whole of Joachim's passing is contained in the same reading which I think is the better solution for the listener. I hope you will agree. In terms of your PL this means that the last ten minutes or so of the following re-uploaded S27 link are new and need checking (from 21.50 to the end)
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_27_mann_128kb.mp3.

Here is the second link - section 28 at 21.35 - and chapter seven begins at last!
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_28_mann_128kb.mp3

Very best as always

Steve
Dear Steve, This is an excellent plan in my opinion! Both Section 27 and 28 are PL ok. Lovely listening!
Thanks for your efforts!
Christine
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Hi Christine, I can't tell you how much it means to have your continuing enthusiasm and support, I sometimes feel as if I am trudging through a whole mountain range of nebulous snow, especially now half way through Vol 2 (so near yet so far), but when I read your words I feel new energy and purpose!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: March 13th, 2024, 12:55 am Hi Christine, I can't tell you how much it means to have your continuing enthusiasm and support, I sometimes feel as if I am trudging through a whole mountain range of nebulous snow, especially now half way through Vol 2 (so near yet so far), but when I read your words I feel new energy and purpose!
OMG this is an epic undertaking! I can hear the effort and feeling that you put in to make this book come alive to the listener! Truly!
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

:D
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Dear Christine, here is Section 29 at 23.12.
Two new faces in the story! The return of Claudia, whom you will know well if you have visited Volume 1 - and a new character, Peeperkorn whom I awaited with trepidation as his personality is very idiosyncratic. In the end I adopted an understated voice for his dialogues because I did not want to fill volume 2 with too many shrill characters. I hope I made the right decision...
Very best as always
Steve
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: March 19th, 2024, 5:47 am Dear Christine, here is Section 29 at 23.12.
Two new faces in the story! The return of Claudia, whom you will know well if you have visited Volume 1 - and a new character, Peeperkorn whom I awaited with trepidation as his personality is very idiosyncratic. In the end I adopted an understated voice for his dialogues because I did not want to fill volume 2 with too many shrill characters. I hope I made the right decision...
Very best as always
Steve
Dear Steve, Looking forward to this today! I only know Claudia, so far, from Hans' ruminations over her chest xray :hmm:
Best,
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 29: The volume is 92.1 but the Librivox limit is 92.
I already don't like Claudia but maybe Hans made too much of his previous relation with her in his daydreaming. Regarding Peeperkorn, whom I also "dislike" at this point (maybe mostly because Hans does) is satisfyingly amusing with the voice you have given him which is perfect!
Thanks!
Christine
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

I will tweek down the volume post haste!
The Vol 1 Claudia is a pretty thoroughgoing Hollywood femme fatale, the crashing of the door behind her as she enters the dining room is one of the many tour de force moments in the first three hundred pages of the novel. As you may also have gathered the Hofrat is infatuated too - and has even painted her portrait (we learn he plays the artist on weekends when away from his surgery). The moment when Hans is suddenly confronted with Claudia's portrait, painted with crude, hamfisted passion, in Hofrat's apartment is another delicious moment from Vol 1.