[COMPLETE] Wonderful London - Anonymous-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Wonderful London, by Anonymous

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:https://librivox.org/wonderful-london-by-anonymous/
"Wonderful London, its lights and shadows of humour and sadness". (That's the full title of the book.) A collection of short essays, studded with conversation, on aspects of Victorian London life, seen through the eyes of a middle-class narrator.

NOTES:
1 A "ticket of leave" is a document of parole issued to convicts who can be trusted with a degree of freedom.
2 In Chapter three, a "cornopean" is a reed organ.
3 In Chapter twenty, "negus" is a drink made from port mixed with hot water, citrus fruit, spices and sugar.

(Summary by Peter Yearsley)

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/wonderfullondon00unkngoog

Target completion date: 2024-08-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: 0mnzThCf
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 41
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1878
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works; *Non-fiction/History/Modern (19th C); *Non-fiction/Social Science (Culture & Anthropology)

Keywords that describe the book: lodging houses, street people, musicians, servants, recreations, middle-class, lower-class, Victorian

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter # of Wonderful London. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." "Read by Peter Yearsley." "Wonderful London, Author unknown. Chapter Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of Wonderful London, by unknown author. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." "Read by Peter Yearsley." "Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Wonderful London, author unknown."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: wonderfullondon_##_anonymous_128kb.mp3 where ## is the chapter number. (e.g. wonderfullondon_01_anonymous_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Annise

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Peter Why on January 10th, 2024, 8:20 am, edited 12 times in total.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Hi Peter,

I'd like to sign on as DPL if you're in need of one.

Laura
Laura
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Laura, that will be a great help. I've not been able to think of any key words yet, so I'd be grateful if you could suggest any when we're up and running (or any ideas for a summary!). I have the first chapter recorded already. We just need our MC.

Peter
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll set it up back soon .......
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All your - nice to be one the same team :D

Anne
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Anne. I think it's going to be a fairly long run, with 41 chapters.

Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Laura, here's the first chapter: https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/wonderfullondon_01_anonymous_128kb.mp3
(26.37)

Chapter one: pdf pages 16-30

I'll fill in the details on the magic window later; I wasn't able to get it done just now.

Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Anne, could you set me up as the reader in the MW, please? I've tried, but I get a "loading" display for minutes, with nothing happening.

Peter
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Sorry Peter - senior moment :(
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Anne. These days, all of my moments are senior ones!

Peter
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Thank you both for having me along.

I'll try to think of some suggestions for keywords as we go along, Peter. Summaries have always been a weak point for me, so I don't think I'll be of much help there.

I really enjoyed listening to chapter 1.
There's a small repeat ~1:24 "at the rate of..."
Laura
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks for catching that, Laura. Chapter one edited and re-uploaded.

I enjoyed it, too. I'm looking forward to the rest of the book (I read cold - except for poetry and DRs - which does mean a fair bit of repeating while I'm recording, and lots of editing, but saves reading the book twice and possibly being bored when I make the recording!).

EDIT: It's going to be quite a miscellany, so we'll either need lots of keywords, or a few generic ones. The summary will probably not be much more than we have already, but there's months of recording to go ... which may lead to a revelation.

Pete
Last edited by Peter Why on September 2nd, 2023, 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Chapter 2 uploaded.
Peter
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Hi Peter,

Section 1 is good to go.

In chapter two there are several missing paragraphs ~3:26 after the one on page 32 of the pdf with text ending, "The police were well aware, or, if they were not, undoubtedly they should have been, since I was taken there, and told all about it, by a well-known clergyman of the district."

After that the recording skips to page 36 of the pdf with the paragraph, "It is because Lint-street in the Burrough seems to be so completely given over..."

All else was good.
Laura
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'm sorry about the mess I made of Chapter Two; I've no idea what happened. Luckily, I keep my aup files (three of them for this chapter), so I'm recreating the chapter. I'm afraid you're going to have to go through much of it again.

My apologies.
Peter