Finding Volume Without Audacity - Working on a Chromebook

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KatLouise

Post by KatLouise »

Hi - I'm working on a Chromebook and using AudioMass online to improve and edit the recordings. I've got Checker downloaded as a Linux app (Audacity and Checker are unavailable in Chrome) - but I can't figure out how to make Checker "take" a file. It says "To get started, drag and drop some .mp3 files over the window" but when I try, it won't accept the files, which just bounce back into my docs folder.

Does anyone know a way to check volume using Chrome? I can check all the other specs except volume with the software I'm using.
God bless the hungry, thirsty, and unclothed. God bless the sick, the stranger, and the prisoner.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

In Checker, you should be able to go to File > Check Files (or in Windows, it's Ctrl-O as in "open file") and open files directly from Checker, rather than drag-and-drop. Have you tried that?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KatLouise

Post by KatLouise »

There is a "check files" action in the Linux version of checker, but it leads to dozens and dozens of file folders named "fonts" and "boot" and so on - each file contains dozens of files - so I can't find my .mp3 files that way. That "file cabinet" seems to be totally unrelated to the "downloads" on my Chromebook.
God bless the hungry, thirsty, and unclothed. God bless the sick, the stranger, and the prisoner.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You can't navigate to the folder in which your MP3s are?

Mine opens in My Documents (a Windows folder), but I would be able to navigate to wherever I have my MP3s.
KatLouise

Post by KatLouise »

Are you on a Chromebook, with a Linux version of Checker? I took a screen shot of the page of file folders it brings me to on my Chromebook, when I choose "File / Check Files" but I can't figure out how to upload it here. It's just a long list of Linux files, totally unrelated to what's been downloaded on my Chromebook.
They're called:
bin
boot
dev
etc
home
lib
and so on, just a long list of folders. Choosing any one of them ("lib" for example) brings up dozens of other files that don't have my .mp3 in them:
apt
binfront.d
d-bus=1.0
dpkg
environment.d
and so on and so on . . . it's Linux, so it doesn't really make sense.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

ChromeOS has a security sandbox feature that keeps you from accessing your files with a Linux app, unless you jump through an extra hoop. This is a one-time thing, if you always save the MP3 files in the same folder.

According to this article, you can open the ChromeOS 'My Files' app, right-click the folder where you saved the MP3 files, and select 'Share with Linux'.

Once you've done that, you can go back to Checker, use 'Check Files' again, and browse to the folder. Here are two possible ways to browse there:

You might be able to copy/paste this into the address bar:
/mnt/chromeos/MyFiles/
Then press Enter, and it takes you straight there.

Edit for this next part: judging by that list of folders, you might not have to find the up-arrow after all. Just open 'mnt' and continue from there.
If you can't paste into the address bar, you'll have to find the button to go up a level (usually looks like an up-arrow, sometimes with a right-angle at the base of it), and do that until you can't any more. Then, you should see a 'mnt' folder. Open that, open the 'chromeos' folder in that, and 'MyFiles' inside of that.

Whichever way you've used to get here, you should now see the name of the folder you "shared with Linux", and be able to open it to find your MP3 files.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
KatLouise

Post by KatLouise »

It WORKED, you wonderful Linux superstar hero!
Thank you so much. I made my "downloads" file "share with Linux" then went through the mnt/chromeos path just like you told me . . . and found the file.
Thank you. You're doing the Lord's work - I was about at the end of my rope.
:clap:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

:clap: