Complete-[FULL] [POETRY] Motley, and Other Poems, by Walter De la Mare (1873 - 1956)-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Motley, and Other Poems, by Walter De la Mare (1873 - 1956)

Volunteers outside the USA: Walter De la Mare died in 1956. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.

• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/motley-and-other-poems-by-walter-de-la-mare/
From English poet Walter De la Mare comes an early collection of poems reflecting on loss, mortality, and universal questions. (Summary by Larry Wilson)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/68458

Deadline: Please submit your recording within ONE MONTH of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window bel-ow for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author

Keywords that describe the book: death, verse, English literature, rhyme, mortality

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

NOTE: ONE MONTH deadline for these short poems

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"[Poem title], by Walter De la Mare, read for LibriVox.org" by [your name] or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish.
• Then read the poem.
• At the end, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.

If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Motley, and Other Poems, by Walter De la Mare."

Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: motley_##_delamare_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. motley_01_delamare_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by silverquill on October 20th, 2023, 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I will also be DPL for this project
Sections 1,28,30,33,48 are preclaimed.
~ Larry
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Larry,
I'll MC this for you.
Have a good night!
-Amy

P.S.
May I have 7 The Quarry and 14 The Stranger?
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

alg1001 wrote: August 9th, 2023, 5:15 pm Hi Larry,
I'll MC this for you.
Have a good night!
-Amy

P.S.
May I have 7 The Quarry and 14 The Stranger?
Thank you so much, Amy!
MW populated and first assignments made.

We are ready for readers.

(PS I've added wording to make the deadline for these short poems just one month.)
~ Larry
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Great! I'll move you to Short Works. :)
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
kmemmons

Post by kmemmons »

I would like to read sections 2-6. Are you open to me using a british accent or would you prefer my neutral american accent?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

kmemmons wrote: August 10th, 2023, 10:32 am I would like to read sections 2-6. Are you open to me using a british accent or would you prefer my neutral american accent?
Thank you!
I've assigned these to you.

Please use whatever accent is most comfortable and natural to you.
~ Larry
kmemmons

Post by kmemmons »

Thank you. I will get started today.
kmemmons

Post by kmemmons »

kmemmons

Post by kmemmons »

kmemmons

Post by kmemmons »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you for these five recordings!
You have a wonderful recording voice and you know how to read poetry with expressiveness, that we don't always hear. :)

Just a few technical issues to address:

1. The silences at the beginning and end of all of these are too long.
At the beginning, just .05 - 1.0 seconds, and at the end just about 5 seconds. So, all of these need to be trimmed.

2. Optional: These are close to our upper limit in volume, so while you're making the edits, if you could amplify them down by about 2 dBs, that would be good. Also 5 and 6 could use some moderate noise reduction to cut down on the hum.

Just upload the corrected files under the same file name and post the link with new time here again, and I'll give them a quick check.

I think you might cut back on the input gain to get a better volume level.

I hope we will hear a lot more of your voice here on LibriVox. :thumbs:
~ Larry
kmemmons

Post by kmemmons »

Thanks, Larry. I'm getting a bit of road noice bleeding in from this room. I will record them again tomorrow in a different room and see if that helps and will adjust based on your recommendations.

And thank you for the kind words about my voice. Much appreciated!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

kmemmons wrote: August 10th, 2023, 2:00 pm Thanks, Larry. I'm getting a bit of road noice bleeding in from this room. I will record them again tomorrow in a different room and see if that helps and will adjust based on your recommendations.

And thank you for the kind words about my voice. Much appreciated!
No need at all to record them again!
Just trim the silences.

If you want to adjust the volume, that's fine, but they are certainly within our range.
~ Larry
kmemmons

Post by kmemmons »