[SOLO]The Adventures of Sammy Jay, by Thornton W. Burgess (1874 - 1965) - rap

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
victoriaalicebell

Post by victoriaalicebell »

redrun wrote: August 10th, 2023, 7:57 pm I'm afraid the upload might have failed, I downloaded them again but got the exact same files.
I've seen this happen a few times recently, where it tells you the upload succeeded, but it really leaves the old version there. So far, uploading one more time has done the trick.

If you're referring to the pauses in chapter 1, I do think it would sound better with them shortened, and if you have a listen to them together with what's around them - say, 1:59 to 2:27 - I think you'll agree. But it is your decision, as the BC. :D

Just as a heads-up, I'll be on tomorrow, but probably not Saturday or Sunday, so anything you upload those days will be PL'd on Monday. :mrgreen:
OK. I fixed the pauses. And reuploaded them.
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/adventuresofsammyjay_01_burgess_128kb.mp3 3:50
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/adventuresofsammyjay_02_burgess_128kb.mp3 3:37
Thanks,
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Alright! I heard the changes on chapter 1. PL OK! :thumbs:

Chapter 2 seems to have been the same version still. Not sure why that happens. To save some back-and-forth, I copied some silence into the beginning, uploaded, and downloaded again to make sure that the upload worked. You're welcome to check it if you'd like, but since that was the only change, I think I'm allowed to mark it PL OK. :thumbs:

For chapter 3:
  • The silences are perfect for chapter 3, at 0.5 and 4.7 seconds.
  • In this reading, though, there are some sounds that might be plosives, or perhaps thumps on a desk. The only one that's really a problem is in this sentence:
    @0:42: "Even Chatterer the Red Squirrel, who is always quarreling with him, admits that Sammy Jay is a handsome fellow."
    The thump happens at the 'q', and the mic turns its volume way down to compensate - it doesn't pick up much of your voice again until "admits". :(
I see two ways to fix it:
1. By re-recording the sentence - or just the missing bit, if you prefer - and splicing it in. I do this all the time for my readings.
2. With a little editing. It won't sound perfect, but I think it can be rescued. I could take a stab at it myself, or point you to an instruction video that should get you there.

What would you like to do?
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
victoriaalicebell

redrun wrote: August 11th, 2023, 10:10 am Alright! I heard the changes on chapter 1. PL OK! :thumbs:

Chapter 2 seems to have been the same version still. Not sure why that happens. To save some back-and-forth, I copied some silence into the beginning, uploaded, and downloaded again to make sure that the upload worked. You're welcome to check it if you'd like, but since that was the only change, I think I'm allowed to mark it PL OK. :thumbs:

For chapter 3:
  • The silences are perfect for chapter 3, at 0.5 and 4.7 seconds.
  • In this reading, though, there are some sounds that might be plosives, or perhaps thumps on a desk. The only one that's really a problem is in this sentence:
    @0:42: "Even Chatterer the Red Squirrel, who is always quarreling with him, admits that Sammy Jay is a handsome fellow."
    The thump happens at the 'q', and the mic turns its volume way down to compensate - it doesn't pick up much of your voice again until "admits". :(
I see two ways to fix it:
1. By re-recording the sentence - or just the missing bit, if you prefer - and splicing it in. I do this all the time for my readings.
2. With a little editing. It won't sound perfect, but I think it can be rescued. I could take a stab at it myself, or point you to an instruction video that should get you there.

What would you like to do?
Thank you!

Either work, but If you'd like I can rerecord. I will fix it soon.
Thanks,
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Alright, I'll be around for spot-PL this evening. :)
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
victoriaalicebell

redrun wrote: August 11th, 2023, 11:16 am Alright, I'll be around for spot-PL this evening. :)
Will do!
victoriaalicebell

redrun wrote: August 11th, 2023, 11:16 am Alright, I'll be around for spot-PL this evening. :)
Here it is:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/adventuresofsammyjay_03_burgess_128kb.mp3 4:17
Thanks,
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Alright, I can hear that part just fine now! Chapter 3, spot-PL OK! :thumbs:
victoriaalicebell

redrun wrote: August 11th, 2023, 6:07 pm Alright, I can hear that part just fine now! Chapter 3, spot-PL OK! :thumbs:
Thank you!
victoriaalicebell

Chapter 4 in the MW.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

For chapter 4, I think one sentence probably got cut by accident:
Should be about @2:08 - "Sammy Jay felt quite sure that Peter didn't know that Redtail was back yet."
victoriaalicebell

redrun wrote: August 18th, 2023, 1:42 pm For chapter 4, I think one sentence probably got cut by accident:
Should be about @2:08 - "Sammy Jay felt quite sure that Peter didn't know that Redtail was back yet."
OK. I will fix it later on when I have time.
victoriaalicebell

victoriaalicebell wrote: August 18th, 2023, 1:44 pm
redrun wrote: August 18th, 2023, 1:42 pm For chapter 4, I think one sentence probably got cut by accident:
OK. I will fix it later on when I have time.
Should be better now.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Chapter 4: PL OK! :thumbs:
Niceley edited, I wouldn't have know it had been patched back in. :D
victoriaalicebell

redrun wrote: August 25th, 2023, 5:24 am Chapter 4: PL OK! :thumbs:
Niceley edited, I wouldn't have know it had been patched back in. :D
Thanks!