de-clicker behavior change [SOLVED]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

De-clicker has suddenly started behaving differently and I don't know why. Before it would simply cut out the clicks. Now it amplifies the marked range by several db. I have reset the de-clicker parameters to the defaults but that makes no difference. Off hand I don't see anything else that is set differently, but clearly something has changed. All suggestions welcome. I am using Audacity 2.4.2 on a windows 10 system.
Tom Penn
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Penumbra wrote: August 7th, 2023, 6:14 pm De-clicker has suddenly started behaving differently and I don't know why. Before it would simply cut out the clicks. Now it amplifies the marked range by several db. I have reset the de-clicker parameters to the defaults but that makes no difference. Off hand I don't see anything else that is set differently, but clearly something has changed. All suggestions welcome. I am using Audacity 2.4.2 on a windows 10 system.
How odd. I've been using it for a month or so now, and my De-Clicker is still doing the same thing it always did (removing the clicks without changing anything else). I'm using it on a MacBook running MacOS Ventura, but it should work the same way. I left it at the default settings as those seemed to work just fine.

I think the more significant difference is that I'm using Audacity 3.3.3. I wonder whether updating your Audacity might convince it to behave properly? You'd have to get used to the changes to the program since you last updated. But that's a guess on my part.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Mine's working normally and I'm also on 2.4.2. It doesn't auto-update, so somehow a setting got changed.

The very top option, is it set to "Apply changes"?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

Thanks for the responses. I have discovered that there is something mysterious/broken about the audacity .aup file that is causing the odd behavior. If I load the most recent .flac file everything works as expected. First time in 20 years I've had a mishap with .aup, but there it is. Thank you, Tricia, for suggesting that we save as flac, and thank you younger me for doing it now and then!
Tom Penn
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Glad you solved it, and that you didn't lose your work!

Today, I recorded a 23-minute section. I exported it to FLAC then restarted my computer. I don't know what happened - maybe I didn't wait for the file to finish deriving before forcing the shutdown - but when I opened up the FLAC, it was only 6 minutes long.

I made just as many stumbles and mistakes the second time recording it as I did the first, LOL!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart