How do you figure out the context of a book?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
LadyBirdD

Post by LadyBirdD »

Hi y'all! I'm new LibriVox and I'm super-excited to get started on my first reading project.
I've passed the test and chosen the first bit of text to read. It's a piece of children's prose book.
I've taken on Chapter no 7 and it occurred to me I need to tackle the issue of context first before plunging into work.

I need to have a gist about what the book is about, the plot line, the characters, right? All the more if it's a dramatic work, I need to
have at least some insight into the characters, I guess. So, how do you guys handle this? Do you read book blurbs, literary interpretations,
or do you read a few selected chapters of a book as part of warming up or nothing at all?

I'd appreciate any insider tips before I get my feet wet reading for LinbriVox.

Thanks in advance. :D

LadyBirdD
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Usually I just jump in and don't bother with context. Usually the blurb in the first post is enough for me to know whether I want to record a chapter in that book (if the BC has provided one), and I just go from there.

However, you're welcome to do more research! I think reading a chapter or two before your assigned chapter is a good way to do it. It should get you into the flow of the story. And if you're not doing character voices (such that you read someone as a deep-chested bass, then come to find out they're a high-pitched tenor, or if you throw them the wrong accent), you should be okay for the most part. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

For the book you've chosen (Poor Blossom), you'd probably get enough of the context by reading the first and last chapter of the book. It's definitely a sad story, meant to garner sympathy for the sad plight of horses at the time.

I look forward to your reading!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
LadyBirdD

Post by LadyBirdD »

Thank you guys! This has been helpful.. I'm the type who likes to do some prep-work always but it's interesting to know some people
get right down to business when reading their chapters. It makes me more confident to put out feelers like this so I can review my options.

This exchange has certainly made me more relaxed about approaching the whole business around LibriVox recording,
Keep your fingers crossed for me, peeps! :D :clap: