Need advice from a mod or something

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
AaronOb

Post by AaronOb »

Hello everyone I’m new here. I was referee to this website by the Michigan talking book library. I have retinopathy of prematurity making it very hard for me to read without assistance like using voiceover.
Why I’m posting here is I want to know if it’s ok to ask for help with putting newer books on audio that aren’t available due to being print on demand or pulp novels. They’d be for my own personal use. I believe it would fall under the Chafee amendment since this place uses volunteers and no money would extange hands and the files would stay with me.

L
In 1996, Senator John H. Chafee introduced an amendment to the United States Copyright Law that provides an exception to this rule for nonprofit or government organizations to create reproductions of copyrighted works in a form more accessible to people with disabilities that impact reading.
I’m kinda just looking for advice/help. Thanks.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't know if the Chafee amendment would apply, since we're not an official organization. We're not a registered nonprofit; we're a non-entity as far as any laws or regulations go. And we don't have a lawyer or any budget to defend against copyright claims. So if anyone volunteers to do it, they're assuming their own personal risks.

And if someone chooses to help, we wouldn't run any projects like this in our forum; it would all be between you and the reader(s) elsewhere.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Also, depending on the length of the novel, this could take weeks to complete even if you find a reader for you.

This would be one of the very few instances where I'd recommend a text-to-speech software / an artificial voice.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
AaronOb

Post by AaronOb »

Availle wrote: July 20th, 2023, 5:27 am Also, depending on the length of the novel, this could take weeks to complete even if you find a reader for you.

This would be one of the very few instances where I'd recommend a text-to-speech software / an artificial voice.
Hopefully this works as a reply. Unfortunately a lot of the books are only available in print and TTS won’t work dod them
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

Hello Aaron,

I hope you are feeling well today. I believe what you may use is called OCR Image to speech recognition, here is one of many links.

https://api.products.aspose.app/ocr/en/image-to-speech

You select browse on that page, and then select an image from your computer that you know has text in it, then select recognize.

It will take a few minutes and then it should try to read the text to you.

You may find a USB scanner for $5 at the local secondhand thrift or charity shop. You would place your book on it like a photocopier and then upload the picture to the site. I am sure you can get OCR on your computer too. OCR stands for optical character recognition. Image to speech.

It takes a few minutes to translate the image into text. You can right click and download the audio from the little audio bar which appears, or just listen in the browser. I do not know the limits it imposes on how much you can do at a time, and for certain it tracks people and will limit how much you get in total. That is typical behavior of these kinds of websites but it will get you familiar with the technology in general and how you will use it.

I am listening to a screenshot of your message right now.

The AI ladies voice says things a bit differently.
retinopathy becomes retino paty
prematurity becomes garbled
you are having trouble raiding without assistance the AI says, I'll come raiding with you Aaron, if I can be captain !
using vose over

It is a free and cheap translator that is for sure, but it's like all such things of the past, it's quirky and your brain will have no difficulty translating it's sillyness into something useful. I never could understand my blind friends computer terminals, they got used to them of course, and then turned up the speed to something astonishing which made it impossible for me to catch anything at all. Not that it mattered, takes me down memory lane. Good luck!
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

If you know someone who knows about linux and is not as busy as I am, ask them about OCR software. It's all free and would work offline in private for you. Software packages that do OCR on puppylinux include Gocr, ocrad and tesseract. There may be more, as that information is more than a decade old. It's no doubt better today than ever it was.