OPEN[PLAY]Porgy, by DuBose and Dorothy Heyward - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Porgy, by DuBose Heyward (1885 - 1940) and Dorothy Heyward (1890 - 1961)

Volunteers outside the USA: Dorothy Heyward died in 1961. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Dorothy Heyward, an American playwright, worked with her husband DuBose to dramatize his book Porgy about the inhabitants of Charleston's Catfish Row (published in 1925 and available here at Librivox). The Heywards insisted upon an African American cast, and the play premiered on Broadway in 1927 and ran for over a year before going on tour. The play which we present here was later adapted into the opera Porgy and Bess with music by George Gershwin.
(Summary by ToddHW)
A Porgy and Bess touring company just played the operatic version in the city near me (Charlotte) and I thought the original might be interesting to have in our catalog. This will be the 750th project I have been involved in at Librivox in the last 12 years.

I am sorry that it is not PD for those outside the US and hence am allowing multiple roles if in different acts.

Our DPL is ej400!! Thank you!!

Gender neutral.

Good luck speaking in the written out dialect for some of the characters. At least the "s"s all look like "s"s in this script and not "f"s as they have in some of our other play scripts....

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b4097847

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

Genres for the project: Plays/Drama

Keywords that describe the book: Crime, poverty, persecution

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of Porgy, by DuBose and Dorothy Heyward. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Porgy, by DuBose and Dorothy Heyward."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: porgy_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. porgy_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: porgy_#_heyward_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. porgy_1_heyward_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: toddhw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
AgnesRobert

Post by AgnesRobert »

I notice that annie has so few lines that if I work very hard at it I may be able not to make the dialect too bad (and if it is bad send it back to me as many times as you want)

so may I please be Annie
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
AgnesRobert

Post by AgnesRobert »

hello, feel free to give notes on anything you like with these (I am so far out of my depth here, and would like to do this as well as possible. I don't know how to make this one better by myself input much appreciated)

annie 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/porgy_annie_1.mp3 (0:26)

annie 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/porgy_annie_2.mp3 (0:18)

annie3 - was pretty sure I was supposed to do the song by all, but not completely sure, so I did it. also not sure I said do' (door) right, but I failed at thinking of any other way to read it (as with everything just tell me if I did it wrong)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/porgy_annie_3.mp3 (2:19)

annie4 - it was hard to make decisions in this one as she is described as quiet and sedate and one line here said to say read as if the women had practiced that line to tell the horrible people, but then this is also a hugely traumatic thing happening that I am sure touches on constant like traumatic things that are done in this neighborhood by the same people even, and I just don't know that I found the right balance here

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/porgy_annie_4.mp3 (1:23)
AgnesRobert

Post by AgnesRobert »

well, while saving and printing out pages for from the place where this script is for another thing, I noticed a search function. a very obvious search function :shock: . so I went back to Porgy to make such I had not missed anything in my three look throughs for my lines there to reassure myself. and instead I found a line on page 31 and on 133 that I did not record. I am sorry, I'd kinda like to add them in after some general feedback on this and not before if that is alright with you. If you would rather I add it in before you listen to them, Ill understand, just let me know.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. I like your voice. Nicely done.

(One problem with using the search function to find lines is that these old scripts often have typos or changes in the spelling of character names from place to place.)

Some PL comments. (I'm not as good at listening as most people which is why I always advertise for a separate DPL on my projects.) I think I want more recorded than I asked for....

Act 1:
@0:25 could you add the chanting on p28 so I have many voices to mix together?

and then you have a line missing from p31 (you already caught this): "What dat?"

Also, could you add the chorus on p43: "Oh, I gots a little brudder in de new grabeyahd / What outshine de sun, / An' I'll meet um in de Primus Lan' "

and the choruses on p44,

and, for p45, add a couple "Allelujahs" and "Yes, Lord" as well

--------------------------
Act 2 is already PL OK!
-------------------------
Act 3:
@0:12 missing line on p131; also on p133

The lines on p137 are just perfect, repeating the extra lines where the text just has "etc" - thank you!

@2:15, there is a missing line on top of p148

------------------------
Act 4:
@0:05, could you add the (unlabeled) chorus lines on p157, please? Also Women's Voices at bottom of p159 and top of p160, and The Singers on p162.

Thanks, Todd
AgnesRobert

Post by AgnesRobert »

shall do, thanks for the notes
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Hi Todd,

This looks like fun. May I have Sportin' Life?

I really enjoyed the movie, and the play seems fun too.

And yes, this is a lot easier to read that the stuff you usually give us. Also, having the character names in the top of each line sure makes it easier to find.

Thanks,

Wayne

P.S. In the character credit, should I say "Sporting Life" or "Sportin' Life", to be more in character? :mrgreen:
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.
Kalamareader wrote: August 24th, 2023, 10:39 am In the character credit, should I say "Sporting Life" or "Sportin' Life", to be more in character? :mrgreen:
Oh, be in character always!

Thanks, Todd
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

ToddHW wrote: August 24th, 2023, 1:48 pm Thank you.
Kalamareader wrote: August 24th, 2023, 10:39 am In the character credit, should I say "Sporting Life" or "Sportin' Life", to be more in character? :mrgreen:
Oh, be in character always!
Thanks, Todd
Well, here are Sportin' Life's lines:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/porgy_sporting_1.mp3 1:52
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/porgy_sporting_2.mp3 2:08
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/porgy_sporting_3.mp3 :27
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/porgy_sporting_4.mp3 5:56

A couple of things:

I kind of felt like the Serpent in the Garden. :shock: :(

And as to the pronunciation of the name Scipio. In two of the states I have lived in, Utah and Oregon, there are towns named Scipio and Scio respectively, and in both cases, the 'c' is silent. Also, that pronunciation is permissible for Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus the Roman General, so that is how I pronounced it the one time it came up. :mrgreen:

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. I will PL shortly (since I have no DPL yet).

When I do the stage directions, I will make sure to use the silent 'c' as well when I mention his name.

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

EDIT: Annie PL OK. Thank you for these extra lines!

Todd
AgnesRobert

Post by AgnesRobert »

ToddHW wrote: August 29th, 2023, 4:40 am Thank you.

EDIT: Annie PL OK. Thank you for these extra lines!

Todd
not a problem sorry about the lines I just missed and where so clearly mine :oops:

and it is harder than I would have supposed to say a song and not sing it when you know something with even somewhat close words, my brain is just over here going but we know 3-5 tunes that go with this sentence or that sentence just let us use one please. hopefully I fought that adequately enough.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I will be out of touch until 31 Oct. Carry on, and I'll take care of the MW upon my return.

Thanks, Todd