COMPLETE Policeman Bluejay by L. Frank Baum - pc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ovoe

Post by ovoe »

Hi!

Section 14 recorded here: https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/policemanbluejay_14_baum_128kb.mp3

Duration: 09:46

Thanks!
:9:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

ovoe wrote: October 12th, 2023, 10:19 pm Hi!

Section 14 recorded here: https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/policemanbluejay_14_baum_128kb.mp3

Thanks!
Petunia, our LibriVox Pickle, will put this into the magic window for proof listening Image
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
loon

Post by loon »

ovoe wrote: October 12th, 2023, 10:19 pm

Hi Tessa -

Section 14 - A Real Fairlyland - is PL OK. Thank you so much.

Note:
I am hearing plosives on your 'P', 'B' and 'T' sounds - a puff of air from your mouth blows directly from your mouth into the microphone and makes a sort of thump. You can reduce this in future recordings in a couple ways.

One thing you can do is use a DIY or commercial pop filter between your mouth and the microphone. The do-it-yourself version can be a layer or two of nylon stocking material pulled over a loop of bent clothes hanger wire or clamped in an embroidery hoop. A commercial pop filter would include some sort of adjustable arm to help you easily position the filter.

Another method - the thing I do - is to move the microphone so it is still pointing toward my mouth but from something like 45 degrees off to the side. As a bonus, it's easier to see the Gutenberg text without a bunch of stuff in my line of sight.

You can also try using a filter effect in your editing process. I tried running a high-pass filter on your chapter (settings: 6 dB/octave, 150 Hz cutoff) and that reduced, but didn't totally eliminate, the plosive sounds. 6 dB/octave is the most subtle/gentle setting for the filter - 150 Hz is a lower frequency than any of the sounds in your voice, so this filter doesn't affect the way your voice sounds.

You can try any or all of these techniques in your future recordings - there will be a lot of those, correct?
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
littlemissclumsy

Post by littlemissclumsy »

hello,
can I read chapters 15 and 18 please
Muriel
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

littlemissclumsy wrote: October 13th, 2023, 1:25 pm hello,
can I read chapters 15 and 18 please
Muriel
Certainly. Both are yours. :thumbs:
littlemissclumsy

Post by littlemissclumsy »

loon

Post by loon »

littlemissclumsy wrote: October 16th, 2023, 1:12 am hey,
here are chapters 15 and 18
Little Miss Clumsy / Muriel -

Both chapters 15 and 18 are PL OK. Thank you for the nice readings.
ovoe

Post by ovoe »

loon wrote: October 13th, 2023, 3:26 am
ovoe wrote: October 12th, 2023, 10:19 pm

Hi Tessa -

Section 14 - A Real Fairlyland - is PL OK. Thank you so much.

Note:
I am hearing plosives on your 'P', 'B' and 'T' sounds - a puff of air from your mouth blows directly from your mouth into the microphone and makes a sort of thump. You can reduce this in future recordings in a couple ways.

One thing you can do is use a DIY or commercial pop filter between your mouth and the microphone. The do-it-yourself version can be a layer or two of nylon stocking material pulled over a loop of bent clothes hanger wire or clamped in an embroidery hoop. A commercial pop filter would include some sort of adjustable arm to help you easily position the filter.

Another method - the thing I do - is to move the microphone so it is still pointing toward my mouth but from something like 45 degrees off to the side. As a bonus, it's easier to see the Gutenberg text without a bunch of stuff in my line of sight.

You can also try using a filter effect in your editing process. I tried running a high-pass filter on your chapter (settings: 6 dB/octave, 150 Hz cutoff) and that reduced, but didn't totally eliminate, the plosive sounds. 6 dB/octave is the most subtle/gentle setting for the filter - 150 Hz is a lower frequency than any of the sounds in your voice, so this filter doesn't affect the way your voice sounds.

You can try any or all of these techniques in your future recordings - there will be a lot of those, correct?
Hi loon,

Thanks a lot for your tips! Very helpful for my future recordings (and yes, working up the numbers!) :)

Tessa
:9:
drandall

Post by drandall »

I would like to claim Chap 7, The Bluejay’s Story
Thanks,
drandall
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

drandall wrote: October 21st, 2023, 2:26 pm I would like to claim Chap 7, The Bluejay’s Story
Excellent. That chapter is all yours. :thumbs:
limalily

Post by limalily »

Hello, may I try chapter 16, The Beauty Dance?

(And, if so, what is the recommended pronunciation for the name "Ephel"?)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

limalily wrote: October 25th, 2023, 12:16 pm Hello, may I try chapter 16, The Beauty Dance?

You certainly may have 16. Hmmm. I would say F L just like the letters sound with the accent on the F. But you may use your own judgment about that. use what seems best to you.
loon

Post by loon »

philchenevert wrote: October 25th, 2023, 5:17 pm Hmmm. I would say F L just like the letters sound with the accent on the F.
That's pretty much how the readers of other chapters have been pronouncing Ephel.
limalily

Post by limalily »

loon wrote: October 25th, 2023, 6:15 pm
philchenevert wrote: October 25th, 2023, 5:17 pm Hmmm. I would say F L just like the letters sound with the accent on the F.
That's pretty much how the readers of other chapters have been pronouncing Ephel.
Great, thanks!
limalily

Post by limalily »

philchenevert wrote: October 25th, 2023, 5:17 pm
limalily wrote: October 25th, 2023, 12:16 pm Hello, may I try chapter 16, The Beauty Dance?

You certainly may have 16. Hmmm. I would say F L just like the letters sound with the accent on the F. But you may use your own judgment about that. use what seems best to you.
Oh! Phil, another forum person just referred me to one of your youtube videos. I watched several of them a few minutes ago and am just now making the connection to you :) Thanks for sharing your expertise!