COMPLETE: The Haunted Ship by Kate Marion Tucker -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

carriebgorman wrote: October 7th, 2023, 1:14 pm I'm back!

Posted section 4, 25:10 https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hauntedship_04_tucker_128kb.mp3
Welcome back!

Your submission is okay from a reading standpoint. However, there is a small technical issue that needs a little attention.

At the beginning of the file there should be a silence of between 0.5 and 1.0 seconds and at the end there should be 5 seconds of silence. I heard 1.5 at the beginning although the end is fine.

Please trim about one second from the beginning of the file and re-export to MP3. Then upload using the same file name. Do not forget to post a note here in the thread when you are done.

One other thing you may wish to consider. I heard several rumbles throughout the recording. They were not so bad as to be distracting so they do not need to be addressed. If you were to use the High Pass effect set to 150 hz and 12 db you can essentially eliminate this sort of rumble.
Jim in Ohio

I will be away from the studio from April 21st through April 28th.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
carriebgorman

Post by carriebgorman »

Hi Jim from Ohio! Thank you so much. I fixed the lead, sorry about that, that's the second time I've made that mistake - I keep thinking it is 1.5-2. :)

As for the rumble, did you happen to note when it is heard? I'm not going to fix it, as you suggested it was ok, and I also had already recorded and edited the next section before reading your notes. But I am really very interested in the editing part of all this, and would love to know what you mean so I can see how the high pass effect changes it. Or if you know of a good youtube video or wiki page to explain it, I would love to know.

Also, where in NE Ohio are you? I was born in Berea, my dad graduated from Strongsville HS, and we have family all over out there.
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

carriebgorman wrote: October 12th, 2023, 7:20 pm Hi Jim from Ohio! Thank you so much. I fixed the lead, sorry about that, that's the second time I've made that mistake - I keep thinking it is 1.5-2. :)

As for the rumble, did you happen to note when it is heard? I'm not going to fix it, as you suggested it was ok, and I also had already recorded and edited the next section before reading your notes. But I am really very interested in the editing part of all this, and would love to know what you mean so I can see how the high pass effect changes it. Or if you know of a good youtube video or wiki page to explain it, I would love to know.

Also, where in NE Ohio are you? I was born in Berea, my dad graduated from Strongsville HS, and we have family all over out there.
Hey Carrie,

Rumble heard around 11:22,11:41,13:41, etc. I have to watch for the same thing: I have a good recording space but heavy trucks will still come through.

I graduated from Medina and am in Valley City, so I am very close to Strongsville and Berea. Actually, my band plays in Berea regularly at a couple different venues and I subbed at Berea HS before covid.
Jim in Ohio

JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Section 5 is PL Okay :thumbs:
Jim in Ohio

carriebgorman

Post by carriebgorman »

My dad, my sister and I were all born in Berea. Very very small world!!!

I get it now about the rumble, it all makes sense. We live smack dab in the middle of giant potato fields (I live in Idaho, go figure, lol), and it was harvest when I recorded this. 24/7 machinery going in bascially our side yard. I can even recognize the rumble.

Thanks again!
carriebgorman

Post by carriebgorman »

JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

carriebgorman wrote: October 30th, 2023, 1:52 pm Section 6 ready for PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hauntedship_06_tucker_128kb.mp3

23:22
Lahb-stah fishin', eh? :lol:

PL Okay :thumbs:
Jim in Ohio

carriebgorman

Post by carriebgorman »

JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

carriebgorman wrote: November 1st, 2023, 1:48 pm Section 7 Ready for PL.
Very nice job, as always. I like the way the author works in various details about the different tasks in each chapter.

There is just a little technical issue I would like you to have a look at. At the beginning of the file there should be a silence of between 0.5 and 1.0 seconds and at the end there should be 5 seconds of silence. I heard 2 and 3.5 seconds respectively. Please make these small changes and re-export to MP3. Then upload using the same file name. Do not forget to post a note here in the thread when you are done.

I am looking forward to the next chapter: it looks to be exciting!
Jim in Ohio

carriebgorman

Post by carriebgorman »

Re-uploaded. I was perplexed because I specifically checked those before uploading, and the time even reflected that they were there. But I think I figured it out - If the checker shows it out of decibel range, I have been adjusting that without making sure the space at the beginning and end was still the same. I'll do this next time, and if it still happens I'll just shrug and fix it. :)
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

carriebgorman wrote: November 14th, 2023, 1:01 pm Re-uploaded. I was perplexed because I specifically checked those before uploading, and the time even reflected that they were there. But I think I figured it out - If the checker shows it out of decibel range, I have been adjusting that without making sure the space at the beginning and end was still the same. I'll do this next time, and if it still happens I'll just shrug and fix it. :)
No worries. It happens to all, and I do mean all, of us. :D

I will check it when I’m back at the computer.
Jim in Ohio

JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

carriebgorman wrote: November 14th, 2023, 1:01 pm Re-uploaded. I was perplexed because I specifically checked those before uploading, and the time even reflected that they were there. But I think I figured it out - If the checker shows it out of decibel range, I have been adjusting that without making sure the space at the beginning and end was still the same. I'll do this next time, and if it still happens I'll just shrug and fix it. :)
Spot PL Okay!
Jim in Ohio

carriebgorman

Post by carriebgorman »

JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

carriebgorman wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 10:00 am Section 8 ready for PL. https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hauntedship_08_tucker_128kb.mp3
17:30
Another grand job! PL Okay
Jim in Ohio

carriebgorman

Post by carriebgorman »

Section 9 FINALLY ready for PL. Happy New Year!
17:42

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hauntedship_09_tucker_128kb.mp3