abandoned solo projects

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Ginger47

Post by Ginger47 »

What is the policy regarding abandoned solo projects? It doesn't look like solo projects are actually marked as abandoned, but I see one on there that interests me, and hasn't been added to since 2020. If I was to pick that up, could I start the book over again, rather than just adding to it? Specifically I'm looking at Exit Betty, by Grace Livingston Hill.

I also have another questions regarding this. I might have some time to record this summer, because my work schedule is changing. If I recorded a book, could I record the entire book before making a post on it in Librivox, then once it gets approved start going back to edit the book and upload it that way? Or is it better to start the new project thread before beginning to read the book? My main issue is I'm not sure how long my work schedule will be this way with shortened hours, and I'm afraid I'll get called back in in a few weeks, and won't have as much time to record. I would hate to start a project, then not have time to finish it.

Thanks,
Emily
Emily Grace
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Emily.

Taking your questions one at at time -

Here is the policy for abandoned solos -
IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
It is up to the MC of a project to decide when to mark a project as abandoned. We may be in touch with the soloist by PM or have agreed for various reasons to keep a solo which may look abandoned active for longer than that 3 month time period. Once a solo is considered abandoned, then it will be added to the list in this post - viewtopic.php?t=22757

You are certainly welcome to read a second, third, etc. version of a book that is already in progress or even already in the catalog. It give listenders a "Choice of Voice" as we like to call it.

Best policy is to post the project in the LaunchPad and have a MC pick it up before you start recording. At that point you can then record, edit and upload the files, however it fits your schedule. This would especially be true if we are talking about a first solo.
Jo
Ginger47

Post by Ginger47 »

Thank you, Jo, for the information. I think I'll go ahead and post the book in the Launch Pad.

Emily
Emily Grace