~ OPEN [DR] Maezli: A Story of the Swiss Valleys, by Johanna Spyri - rap

Plays and other dramatic works
ElizaZ

Post by ElizaZ »

thecountess wrote: August 22nd, 2023, 5:07 am Here is my first recording!
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/maezli_leonore_06.mp3

~ The Countess
Hi Countess! Great recording. I would say PL okay, but one question which I will let Henrietta or Rapunzelina weigh in on. The volume of this recording is a little quiet. It is 85 dB while the Librivox range is 86-92. I think for DRs we typically accept quiet recordings and fix the volume in editing but wanted to note in case anyone thinks it needs to be fixed as it's not my call.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

ElizaZ wrote: August 22nd, 2023, 8:06 pm I defer to Henrietta on how she wants to handle missing lines. For DRs, I have often seen BCs ask the reader to upload a separate file containing just the missing line (labeled "chapter1supp" or something similar). Alternatively if Henrietta prefers, you could edit your previously submitted chapter 1 file to add in the missing line.
At this stage of the project, it's best if the correction is made in the current file and re-uploaded; this way the file will be ready for the editor. In cases where editing has begun and the editor discovers a missing line in the process, then it's easier to ask for the missing line in a separate file to then directly add it in the file that is being edited.
ElizaZ wrote: August 22nd, 2023, 8:18 pm The volume of this recording is a little quiet. It is 85 dB while the Librivox range is 86-92. I think for DRs we typically accept quiet recordings and fix the volume in editing but wanted to note in case anyone thinks it needs to be fixed as it's not my call.
I also think that this kind of difference in volume can be fixed during editing - I would just make a note of the volume in the magic window so the editor is aware.
Also, if you're checking the volume through the Checker, the Checker measures the average volume, so if a recording has longer pauses between lines as it happens in a dramatic work file, it drops the average a bit, so maybe the actual volume is a little higher.
So in any case, this is better left to the editor, who'll be matching the various volume levels between readers anyway. :D
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

I'll offer to read the Baron
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Keratak wrote: August 21st, 2023, 10:23 pm Narrator Ch 1 is ready for PL.
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/maezli_narrator_01.mp3
13:50
I probably won't have the rest up this quickly, but like before, if there's something fundamentally wrong, let's fix it early.
ElizaZ wrote: August 22nd, 2023, 8:06 pm I have only one PL note for chapter 1. The script is missing a narrator line in the middle of page 5 at 2:00 -- "said Mea." I checked and unfortunately that specific line did not appear elsewhere in the chapter so I think we need to record this.
Hi Keith! When you get the chance to work on the file for this missing line, could you also add the phrase "Cast of characters" at the beginning? We can then use it either in chapter one, or in the foreword, for the list of character that would go "Cast of characters: Narrator read by Keith Salis, etc."
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Eliza Z, as the DPL (or parts DPL in this case) you have access to the magic window to leave your notes; are you comfortable with that? or would you rather Henrietta do that?
ElizaZ

Post by ElizaZ »

Rapunzelina wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 2:20 am Eliza Z, as the DPL (or parts DPL in this case) you have access to the magic window to leave your notes; are you comfortable with that? or would you rather Henrietta do that?
Yes, my bad. I didn't see my name at the top of the MW so I assumed I did not have access to it. It is updated now. Am I losing it or did the DPL's name used to be listed at the top of those windows?

Thanks for all your help and clarifications! I will keep those in mind going forward.
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

ElizaZ wrote: August 22nd, 2023, 8:18 pm
thecountess wrote: August 22nd, 2023, 5:07 am Here is my first recording!

~ The Countess
Hi Countess! Great recording. I would say PL okay, but one question which I will let Henrietta or Rapunzelina weigh in on. The volume of this recording is a little quiet. It is 85 dB while the Librivox range is 86-92. I think for DRs we typically accept quiet recordings and fix the volume in editing but wanted to note in case anyone thinks it needs to be fixed as it's not my call.
I went back an made it louder. Should be 88 now. Less work for the editors! :D

~ The Countess
HenriettaStrauss

Post by HenriettaStrauss »

iamkatiecalderon wrote: August 22nd, 2023, 5:41 pm what an exciting project this is! I love Switzerland haha and think I'll enjoy reading this tale...

I'd love to take on the role of Mrs. Maxa if she's not yet assigned :)

thank you very much and please keep me posted!
~iamkatiecalderon
I will reserve her for you.
Before I can assign her to you, you need a catalog page. What would you like it to be? It can be a pseudonym, real name, or anything you like.

Thanks,
~ Henrietta Strauss
DRs:
[Open] Mazli by Johanna Spryi. 9 roles open!
"To read or not to read, that is the question..."
Priamedes

Post by Priamedes »

Hey i’d love to take the doctor.
Back to recording

Erik
HenriettaStrauss

Priamedes wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 9:20 am Hey i’d love to take the doctor.
Done! Thank you!
~ Henrietta Strauss
DRs:
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Rapunzelina wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 1:54 am
ElizaZ wrote: August 22nd, 2023, 8:06 pm I defer to Henrietta on how she wants to handle missing lines. For DRs, I have often seen BCs ask the reader to upload a separate file containing just the missing line (labeled "chapter1supp" or something similar). Alternatively if Henrietta prefers, you could edit your previously submitted chapter 1 file to add in the missing line.
At this stage of the project, it's best if the correction is made in the current file and re-uploaded; this way the file will be ready for the editor. In cases where editing has begun and the editor discovers a missing line in the process, then it's easier to ask for the missing line in a separate file to then directly add it in the file that is being edited.
ElizaZ wrote: August 22nd, 2023, 8:18 pm The volume of this recording is a little quiet. It is 85 dB while the Librivox range is 86-92. I think for DRs we typically accept quiet recordings and fix the volume in editing but wanted to note in case anyone thinks it needs to be fixed as it's not my call.
I also think that this kind of difference in volume can be fixed during editing - I would just make a note of the volume in the magic window so the editor is aware.
Also, if you're checking the volume through the Checker, the Checker measures the average volume, so if a recording has longer pauses between lines as it happens in a dramatic work file, it drops the average a bit, so maybe the actual volume is a little higher.
So in any case, this is better left to the editor, who'll be matching the various volume levels between readers anyway. :D
Wow! This gets cluttered fast!
To see if I got the right corrections:
Add, "Said Mea."
Add, "List of Characters. Narrator, Read by the lovely Keith Salis."
Add, "Philip, Read by the flippant Keith Salis."
Got it!
Like a story that we wish was never ending, we know sometime we must reach the final page. Still we carry on just pretending that there'll always be one more book to go. - Fading Lights, Genesis
HenriettaStrauss

Beeswaxcandle wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 2:11 am I'll offer to read the Baron
He's yours. Thanks,
~ Henrietta Strauss
DRs:
iamkatiecalderon

Post by iamkatiecalderon »

HenriettaStrauss wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 5:45 am
iamkatiecalderon wrote: August 22nd, 2023, 5:41 pm what an exciting project this is! I love Switzerland haha and think I'll enjoy reading this tale...

~iamkatiecalderon
Before I can assign her to you, you need a catalog page. What would you like it to be? It can be a pseudonym, real name, or anything you like.

Thanks,
Thank you! Please forgive me - I haven't seen directions on Librivox for creating a catalog page from the narrator's perspective; I've seen it referred to for the entire book. Do you mean what shall be my catalog name?

If it's catalog name, for this I will keep my name .... Katie Calderon

Thank you again.
~~ iamkatiecalderon ~~
iamkatiecalderon

Post by iamkatiecalderon »

HenriettaStrauss wrote: August 18th, 2023, 5:54 pm
TriciaG wrote: August 18th, 2023, 5:42 pm
Rapunzelina wrote: August 18th, 2023, 3:59 pm Have you worked out how many sections you'll need for the magic window? Something to accommodate for the characters in each chapter plus all final chapters.
I would think that wouldn't happen until the scripts are done - knowing how many characters are in each chapter. :hmm:
The script just got finished, due to Rapunzelina and victoriaalicebell's work. :D

Hi there @HenriettaStrauss I believe I found a line error in Chapter 1. There's a line assigned to Mrs. Maxa but I am quite sure it should be labeled/belong to LIPPO. Here's the line, about 65% of the way through the chapter - perhaps the easiest way for someone else to find it is to search for the word written :

Mrs. Maxa:"The teacher has read us a paper on which was written—" began the boy.
~~ iamkatiecalderon ~~
HenriettaStrauss

iamkatiecalderon wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 1:33 pm
HenriettaStrauss wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 5:45 am

~iamkatiecalderon

Thanks,
Thank you! Please forgive me - I haven't seen directions on Librivox for creating a catalog page from the narrator's perspective; I've seen it referred to for the entire book. Do you mean what shall be my catalog name?

If it's catalog name, for this I will keep my name .... Katie Calderon

Thank you again.
You are totally fine! :D

I meant the catalog name, guess that wasn't very clear...here is the link to your new page.

Thanks,
~ Henrietta Strauss
DRs: