COMPLETE[Play] Parlor Matches by Hare - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Parlor Matches, by Walter Ben Hare (1880 - 1950)
This little comedy of society life has to do with the match-making proclivities of Mrs. Seltoon. Having arranged satisfactory matches for her two daughters, Mrs. Seltoon turns her attention to her niece, Gail Laurence, a girl just graduated from college. Mrs. Seltoon decides that the cousin of one of her daughters' fiances would make the perfect match for Gail. This cousin turns out to be a moving picture idol, who isn’t terribly fond of women, and who mistakes the new maid for Gail. In a series of mistaken identities, Gail announces she is engaged to Adrian Lee, the moving picture idol, to avoid the attentions of her intended match. She is clueless that he is actually the man Mrs. Seltoon is trying to set her up with. The love tilts between the daughters and their fiances, the dignity of Jorkes the butler, and the tendencies of Abigail Mullen, the maid with a college education, afford a well developed series of subsidiary plots. (Summary by The Author and Jenn Broda)
This project is complete. Audio files can be found on our Librivox catalog page at https://librivox.org/parlor-matches-by-walter-ben-hare/

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/parlormatcheseng00hare

All roles are gender neutral.

Editor: jennlea
Parts DPL: jennlea
Final DPL: Kitty

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: dmAeZShs
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://phoenixtheaterhistory.com/actors/walter-ben-hare/ (Walter Ben Hare)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 22
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known):
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Plays/Comedy

Keywords that describe the book: comedy, matchmaking, mistaken identities

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of Parlor Matches, by Walter Ben Hare. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Parlor Matches, by Walter Ben Hare."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: parlormatches_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. parlormatches_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: parlormatches_#_hare_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. parlormatches_1_hare_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: toddhw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by jennlea on December 4th, 2023, 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
**Catching up on recording week of Jul 22. Please feel free to message me if I miss something.**
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

I will be editing and PLing the parts. I'll find someone to PL the completed acts close to completion.

Early claims are accepted and will be noted here:
Gail- jennlea
Jorkes- JHedrick
Ferdinand Poppleton-WiltedScribe
Abagail- Kitty
Mrs. Seltoon- DrSpoke
Last edited by jennlea on June 28th, 2023, 3:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
**Catching up on recording week of Jul 22. Please feel free to message me if I miss something.**
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

May I claim Jorkes?
Jim in Ohio

Why are more astronauts from Ohio than any other state? Because it’s so bad that they want to leave earth entirely!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

JHedrick wrote: June 27th, 2023, 8:43 pm May I claim Jorkes?
Why of course! Thank you!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

May I play Ferdinand Poppleton? :)
Tomas Peter
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

WiltedScribe wrote: June 27th, 2023, 10:01 pm May I play Ferdinand Poppleton? :)
Absolutely! Thanks, Tomas!!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

this sounds like fun. Can I be Abigail please ?

And I gladly volunteer to PL the completed acts for you, Jenn.

Sonia
I'll be on summer vacation from Wednesday 24 July till after mid-August.
No PLing during that time, thank you for your patience.
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

I'd love to play Mrs. Seltoon. I can't offer a native English in my readings; if you feel that's unfortunate for this particular character, I totally understand.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Kitty wrote: June 28th, 2023, 1:55 am this sounds like fun. Can I be Abigail please ?

And I gladly volunteer to PL the completed acts for you, Jenn.

Sonia
That would be wonderful! And thanks for volunteering to PL the completed acts :9:
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

DrSpoke wrote: June 28th, 2023, 2:17 am I'd love to play Mrs. Seltoon. I can't offer a native English in my readings; if you feel that's unfortunate for this particular character, I totally understand.
I would love for you to read Mrs. Seltoon! Thank you!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I will MC and set up the MW.

EDIT: MW ready.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I play Professional Hero Trelford?

Thanks, Todd
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

jennlea wrote: June 28th, 2023, 3:18 am
DrSpoke wrote: June 28th, 2023, 2:17 am I'd love to play Mrs. Seltoon. I can't offer a native English in my readings; if you feel that's unfortunate for this particular character, I totally understand.
I would love for you to read Mrs. Seltoon! Thank you!
Glad to hear that. Thank you Gail, I'll make sure I get an awesome match for you.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

ToddHW wrote: June 28th, 2023, 5:34 am I will MC and set up the MW.

EDIT: MW ready.
ToddHW wrote: June 28th, 2023, 5:40 am May I play Professional Hero Trelford?
Thanks so much, Todd! I'll get the MW sorted out in just a little bit and would be thrilled for you to read our Professional Hero!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: June 28th, 2023, 5:40 amMay I play Professional Hero Trelford?
and you're telling me now that I will be star-struck and drooling over you in the second act :shock: Admit it, you wanted to bathe in the "king among men" moment once again. :lol:

Enjoy it while it lasts...

Sonia
I'll be on summer vacation from Wednesday 24 July till after mid-August.
No PLing during that time, thank you for your patience.