[OPEN][Bible/Poetry] The Face of the Deep: a Devotional Commentary on the Apocalypse, by Christina Rossetti - kit

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

The Face of the Deep: a Devotional Commentary on the Apocalypse, by Christina Rossetti (1830 - 1894)
For some time past, as the admirers... of Miss Christina Rossetti know, that lady has devoted her singular poetic genius and her deep religious feeling to the composition of works of devotion in mingled verse and prose.<br><br>

The skilfullest divine without a touch of poetry must blunder over the Apocalypse; and the usual poet without some tincture of divinity, though he can hardly miss its beauties, must be naturally désorienté in it. Miss Rossetti holds both keys. And it is perhaps almost more noteworthy in her that, possessing them, she does not stray, as the possessor of both might be thought likely to do, into by-paths of will-worship.<br><br>

The Face of the Deep is a commentary, devotional not exegetic, on the Apocalypse. It takes the text of that astonishing book (which some cool-headed judges have ranked with the books of Job, Ecclesiastes, and Isaiah as capable of challenging from the merely literary point of view anything in the literature of the world), and goes through it chapter by chapter, and verse by verse, with meditations in prose or in poetry. The key of the book is now one so little familiar that to an ordinary reader (it will, of course, be more plain song to any one versed in devotional literature) it may take some little time to find.<br><br>

Miss Rossetti’s fervent, somewhat mystical, thoroughly Orthodox, but thoroughly unsectarian, and — if we may say so — unschool-like religiosity, finding vent in literature that would not disgrace the great names of the seventeenth century, might seem out of our time’s way. (Summary by The Saturday Review)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/thefaceofthedeep00rossuoft/page/n7/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of The Face of the Deep.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"The Face of the Deep: a Devotional Commentary on the Apocalypse, by Christina Rossetti.
Section Title."

Special Notes
  • Please use triple digits for the filename (faceofthedeep_007_rossetti_128kb, not faceofthedeep_07_rossetti_128kb).
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Face of the Deep: a Devotional Commentary on the Apocalypse, by Christina Rossetti."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: faceofthedeep_###_rossetti_128kb.mp3 where ### is the section number. (e.g. faceofthedeep_001_rossetti_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on June 23rd, 2023, 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL 43 27-28
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Since some Christina Rossetti just appeared on the launch pad and I have some BC space, I thought I should get this one started.

The project summary is adapted from here.

I will DPL.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hello, this looks like an interesting topic. I will MC and your MW will be up soon. Stay tuned

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

InTheDesert wrote: June 20th, 2023, 1:19 amSince some Christina Rossetti just appeared on the launch pad and I have some BC space, I thought I should get this one started.
The project summary is adapted from here.

I will DPL.
MW ready to be filled out. I guess you need to break up the long chapters. :?

Thank you for the link to the book review.

Once the MW is filled out, we can move to Readers Wanted.

Sonia
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Kitty wrote: June 21st, 2023, 1:58 am MW ready to be filled out. I guess you need to break up the long chapters. :?

Thank you for the link to the book review.

Once the MW is filled out, we can move to Readers Wanted.

Sonia
Thankyou Sonia! I'm in the process of breaking it up and intending to make it follow the short units she chose... but I underestimated the number by far. Do you have a way to easily add maybe 100 sections to the MW? That would be quicker than me adding them one by one.

Then I'll make the text links and word counts.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

InTheDesert wrote: June 21st, 2023, 3:45 amI'm in the process of breaking it up and intending to make it follow the short units she chose... but I underestimated the number by far. Do you have a way to easily add maybe 100 sections to the MW? That would be quicker than me adding them one by one.
:shock: no I'm afraid we cannot "bulk-add" sections, they have to be added one by one. Usually the estimated initial guess of the sections doesn't deviate that much from the actual number. :? Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I see you are already at over 200 sections...please be aware that the maximum sections allowed is 255. If there are more, we need to split the book into two projects. :? Or you might consider having some chapters wrapped into one.

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I'm sure I'll want to read some in this interesting book, but could I just start with the Prefatory Note?
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Kitty wrote: June 21st, 2023, 4:37 am :shock: no I'm afraid we cannot "bulk-add" sections, they have to be added one by one. Usually the estimated initial guess of the sections doesn't deviate that much from the actual number. :? Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Sonia
Are you able to... bulk delete? :wink: Apologies - I did it over twice. The first time I had sections that were too small. Then I added all 255 section which I now don't need. Sorry for creating more work for you. The blank sections are not needed.

I'm now working on the word counts and text links.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

InTheDesert wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 12:57 amAre you able to... bulk delete?
I'm afraid I'm not...need to delete them one by one. I'll start on it now.
I'm now working on the word counts and text links.
I don't think word counts and text links are necessary, with archive scans I always write the page numbers in the MW, then every reader can find them pretty quickly.
For example: p. 35-41. You see at one glance it's gonna be less than 10 pages and you can quickly jump to page 35 to start.

Just let me know when all is ready than we can move to readers wanted.

Sonia
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Kitty wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 1:51 am Just let me know when all is ready than we can move to readers wanted.

Sonia
Much appreciated. We are ready!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

InTheDesert wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 3:17 amMuch appreciated. We are ready!
excellent, MW looks good. Let's start the journey

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Oh, good!
Let me go ahead and also take Sections 2 and 3, if I may.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Here is Section 001

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/faceofthedeep_001_rossetti_128kb.mp3 2:00

You might want to show the file template to indicate a triple digit format.
~ Larry
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

silverquill wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 11:52 am Here is Section 001

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/faceofthedeep_001_rossetti_128kb.mp3 2:00

You might want to show the file template to indicate a triple digit format.
Spectacular catch that will save headaches in the future. Thankyou!!