[solo] Proust, Sodom and Gomorrah translated by Scott-Moncrieff - rap

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
MOKelly

Post by MOKelly »

Thank you for the PL, and thanks for spotting the Magic Window error. I had put the wrong words in the MW in the quote for the end of this Section - I have put the correct ones in, and they now match the end of the chapter. As you spotted also, there is a blank page in the text I am using, so p. 210 is skipped in listing the sections (link to the text is given at top of the Librivox Intro page - there are several versions of the same text available online).

I have uploaded the next Section, which is short due to this next chapter being an awkward length. It's a good bit, though - Proust is letting himself rip on pure emotion (and his favourite one - suffering). For a writer apparently in the modernist tradition, he gets away with an awful lot of sentiment - perhaps because he interlards it with surgical comments and odd comedy.
-Michael O'K
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

MOKelly wrote: January 30th, 2024, 6:30 am Thank you for the PL, and thanks for spotting the Magic Window error. I had put the wrong words in the MW in the quote for the end of this Section - I have put the correct ones in, and they now match the end of the chapter. As you spotted also, there is a blank page in the text I am using, so p. 210 is skipped in listing the sections (link to the text is given at top of the Librivox Intro page - there are several versions of the same text available online).

I have uploaded the next Section, which is short due to this next chapter being an awkward length. It's a good bit, though - Proust is letting himself rip on pure emotion (and his favourite one - suffering). For a writer apparently in the modernist tradition, he gets away with an awful lot of sentiment - perhaps because he interlards it with surgical comments and odd comedy.
-Michael O'K
Great! So interesting! You are a crit lit expert!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Sections 9 and 10 are PL ok.
MOKelly

Post by MOKelly »

Thank you.

I have just uploaded Section 11 for PL, the second half of "The heart's intermissions".

-Michael
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 11 is PL ok. Our hero is depressed.
MOKelly

Post by MOKelly »

Thank you for the PL.

I have just uploaded Section 12. Our narrator is winningly honest about how horrible he was to his grandmother; and we get the start of the narrator's learning of the many jealousies he can have with Albertine.

I am sorry for my delay in uploading this Section. I was travelling, and then sick. I plan to upload the next Section in two weeks' time.

Best wishes,
Michael
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

MOKelly wrote: March 10th, 2024, 1:13 pm Thank you for the PL.

I have just uploaded Section 12. Our narrator is winningly honest about how horrible he was to his grandmother; and we get the start of the narrator's learning of the many jealousies he can have with Albertine.

I am sorry for my delay in uploading this Section. I was travelling, and then sick. I plan to upload the next Section in two weeks' time.

Best wishes,
Michael
Please feel you have all the time in the world for this! Section 12 is in line for PL.
Best,
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 12 is PL ok. Great job!
MOKelly

Post by MOKelly »

Thank you for the PL.

I have uploaded Section 13. The portrait of the Cambremer in-law seems mean-minded. Maybe it is bearable because it seems to be a bit of a self portrait, just as his mean depiction of Bloch in The Guermantes Way feels like another self portrait. Meanwhile, the narrator is petted, praised and invited to lunch by the Marquise. How does Proust manage to avoid the snobbery charge? I guess because even this self-pleasing narrator has many moments of ruthless observation of himself.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

MOKelly wrote: March 30th, 2024, 6:09 am Thank you for the PL.

I have uploaded Section 13. The portrait of the Cambremer in-law seems mean-minded. Maybe it is bearable because it seems to be a bit of a self portrait, just as his mean depiction of Bloch in The Guermantes Way feels like another self portrait. Meanwhile, the narrator is petted, praised and invited to lunch by the Marquise. How does Proust manage to avoid the snobbery charge? I guess because even this self-pleasing narrator has many moments of ruthless observation of himself.
Interesting... I am looking forward to this section.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 13 is PL ok. Scathing descriptions! Good thing this is the narrator's private journal.
MOKelly

Post by MOKelly »

Thank you.

Section 14 just uploaded. More meanspiritedness, and then a great description of the tos and fros of love and of the plight of the high-analysis, low-self-esteem lover.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 14:
At the end you say "End of Section 13" and it should be "End of Section 14"
This section should be named "A detailed presentation of committment issues" :lol:
MOKelly

Post by MOKelly »

Thank you for the PL of Section 14 - yes, we might more readers with that Section heading :) .

I will correct that Section number at the next recording session and re-upload then.

I have just uploaded Section 15, the last of volume 1.
-Michael
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 15 is PL ok. Great job!