[solo] Proust, Sodom and Gomorrah translated by Scott-Moncrieff - rap

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
MOKelly

Post by MOKelly »

Thank you for the PL.

Section 6 just uploaded. The narrator sees the dying socialite Swann at the far end of the card room. At one time the narrator was in awe of Swann, but does he want to meet him now?

I apologise for my delay - I got the 'flu and everything slowed up. The next section will probably be ready in three week's time - again somewhat delayed.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

MOKelly wrote: November 11th, 2023, 10:37 am Thank you for the PL.

Section 6 just uploaded. The narrator sees the dying socialite Swann at the far end of the card room. At one time the narrator was in awe of Swann, but does he want to meet him now?

I apologise for my delay - I got the 'flu and everything slowed up. The next section will probably be ready in three week's time - again somewhat delayed.
There's never any rush!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 6. I thought Swann had gotten ejected from this party!? Oh, he was just ejected from the Duc's study and not the party as a whole, I guess
26:55 should be "rather than of a dilettante Valois"; I heard "rather than of a debutante Valois"
Excellently read!
MOKelly

Post by MOKelly »

Thank you for the PL - I will re-record the dilletante/debutante.

I have just uploaded the next section, which includes an account from the mouth of Swann himself of the effects of the prolonged jealousy described in Swann's Way. Swann's short piece on this is like a summary of the whole novel; and some of his philosophy (which he self-deprecatingly calls "idealistic jargon") sounds close to that of the narrator - Swann describes lovingly inspecting his treasury of memories (including the memories associated with his jealousy) in a manner that recalls the narrator's careful evocations of memories of the girls, the madeleine, the hawthorns, of his own sufferings with Albertine.

With regard to Swann's being ejected from the party, no spoilers, but this section includes a surprise in the account of Swann's alleged dressing down by the Prince de Guermantes.
MOKelly

Post by MOKelly »

Section 6 "debutante" corrected to "dilettante", and re-uploaded just now - thank you for spotting this.
-Michael
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 6 is PL okay.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 7: Did your recording settings get changed somehow? The checker said that the bit rate was incorrect and that it was set to variable rather than constant.
MOKelly

Post by MOKelly »

Thank you for this. I got a new version of Audacity and the MP3 options were not remembered.

I have re-uploaded both Section 7 and Section 6. I think the bit rate options on the corrected Section 6 may have been incorrect also.

I have marked Section 6 as "Ready for spot PL" just in case. Hopefully now Section 7 is actually ready for PL.

-Michael
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Sections 6 and 7 are PL ok.
MOKelly

Post by MOKelly »

Thank you. Just uploaded Section 8.

I have had a cough for the whole of this month. I hope to resume recording etc. within the next week or so, and to submit the next Section mid-January.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

MOKelly wrote: December 30th, 2023, 7:12 am Thank you. Just uploaded Section 8.

I have had a cough for the whole of this month. I hope to resume recording etc. within the next week or so, and to submit the next Section mid-January.
Great! This is in line for PL. I have a bit of a list.
Happy New Year!
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 8 is PL ok.
Happy New Year!
MOKelly

Post by MOKelly »

Thank you.

Section 9 just posted.

The narrator is good and hard on himself in his portrayal of his relations with Albertine.

The narrator's accounts of (and fascination with) climbing the ladder of high society convey his mixed feelings about this climbing - at one point he claims that what he gets from a posh drawing room is not a snob's thrill but rather a poetic image, and soon after he is almost admitting to being a snob via his suggestion that snobs are misunderstood, their delight in the blooms of social flowers given short shrift.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

MOKelly wrote: January 20th, 2024, 8:49 am Thank you.

Section 9 just posted.

The narrator is good and hard on himself in his portrayal of his relations with Albertine.

The narrator's accounts of (and fascination with) climbing the ladder of high society convey his mixed feelings about this climbing - at one point he claims that what he gets from a posh drawing room is not a snob's thrill but rather a poetic image, and soon after he is almost admitting to being a snob via his suggestion that snobs are misunderstood, their delight in the blooms of social flowers given short shrift.
You are so perceptive. It will be fun to look for these themes as I listen.
This is in line for PL.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 9: Interesting way to get your girlfriend to come visit you.
I'm a little confused and I think it is just an issue in the Notes section of the MW. Section 9 ends at the end of a "chapter" but not with the words you have there. Also, p 210 is missing? Intentionally omitted?