[solo] Proust, Sodom and Gomorrah translated by Scott-Moncrieff - rap

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I did a PL check on your section 1 and it sounds great. I've marked it PL OK.
MOKelly

Post by MOKelly »

Thank you for the PL.

I have just uploaded for PL the second half of Part One, the section introducing the "men-women". Having just finished The Guermantes Way for Librivox, this first Part of Cities of the Plain is very refreshing in that it feels a lot more unguarded than the previous book. The narrator never suggests that he himself is gay, but the detailed account of the ins and outs of the lives of the men-women almost force the reader to assume it, and the narrator allows himself a passionate portrait of the secret emotions and sufferings of the men-women. The long sentences, while often as wilful as ever in knitting in innumerable nuances, also facilitate the narrator, in some paragraphs, for at least a few lines, in mounting a kind of wail in painful tribute to Sodom and Gomorrah. It is great stuff.

Best wishes,
Michael O'K
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 2 is PL OK!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you so much Kevin! I've marked it so.
MOKelly

Post by MOKelly »

Many thanks to you both.

I have just uploaded Section 3, the first of Part Two. The twenty pages cover the narrator's arrival at the Princesse de Guermantes' party and his efforts to introduce himself to the Prince. More varieties of men-women are introduced.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 3 PL OK!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you so much, Kevin! I've just marked it so.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi, I would like to DPL this project.
Christine
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you Christine! I've signed you up as DPL
MOKelly

Post by MOKelly »

Thanks to all for your support.
I apologise for my delay in posting Section 4 - I had a family duty all last week and am just now editing that Section. I hope to upload it on Tuesday 03Sep or earlier.
-Michael O'K
MOKelly

Post by MOKelly »

Section 4 just posted.
The narrator at the Princesse de Guermantes' party. A Wildean touch at "Parties of this sort are as a rule premature...". The passage on remembering names catches nicely something that we all experience. The snipes at the Turkish Ambassadress seem to be poking at some real person and leave a bad taste (although the narrator does make a fine allowance for the Ambassadress's having to learn the rubric of a new set of people). As, it seems, always, the prose springs out when the Baron de Charlus features.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

MOKelly wrote: October 8th, 2023, 3:52 am Section 4 just posted.
The narrator at the Princesse de Guermantes' party. A Wildean touch at "Parties of this sort are as a rule premature...". The passage on remembering names catches nicely something that we all experience. The snipes at the Turkish Ambassadress seem to be poking at some real person and leave a bad taste (although the narrator does make a fine allowance for the Ambassadress's having to learn the rubric of a new set of people). As, it seems, always, the prose springs out when the Baron de Charlus features.
Hi! I am looking forward to noticing these features! Thanks for posting them. I presently have a small line for PL but I will probably get to this today.
Best,
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 4 is PL ok. I was intrigued by the philosophy of the benefits of insomnia and lack of remembrance of names. Also, the narrator seems very judgemental but judges everyone in in a very detailed manner.
MOKelly

Post by MOKelly »

Thank you for the PL of Section 4.

Agreed, lots of detail in the judgments, and sometimes three or more possibilities suggested as motivation, "he may have done this because...or perhaps because...or perhaps..." :-).

I have just uploaded Section 5 - more dissection of society hierarchies; and more broad mockery of the Guermantes' requirements when accepting someone like Swann into their company.
-Michael
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 5 is PL ok. Oh, the gyrations of party invitations!