[SOLO] Death by Maurice Maeterlinck - rap

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
jzdanowicz

Post by jzdanowicz »

Death, by Maurice Maeterlinck (1862 - 1949), translated by Alexander Teixeira de Mattos (1865 - 1921)
"The more we dread it, the more dreadful it becomes..." Death by Maurice Maeterlinck explores the cultural and societal fear of death and examines the reasoning behind these fears to spark a conversation to understand death as it is, and not as we fear it to be. Maeterlinck provides a number of hypotheses and fascinating questions rather than ready-made answers in this literary piece. (Summary by Jessica Zdanowicz)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/31354

Target completion date: 2023-08-16

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works; *Non-fiction/Philosophy
Keywords that describe the book: philosophy, religion, death, essay, contemplative
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter # of Death. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Death, by Maurice Maeterlinck, translated by Alexander Teixeira de Mattos. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of Death, by Maurice Maeterlinck. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Death, by Maurice Maeterlinck, translated by Alexander Teixeira de Mattos."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: death_##_maeterlinck_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. death_01_maeterlinck_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Jessica! Let me MC this book about Death! I'll go get you a Magic Window.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Mw is there for your!
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

I can DPL
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Moved to Going Solo! Jessica, please post that you've seen this
jzdanowicz

Post by jzdanowicz »

Hello! Apologizes, life has a habit of getting in the way! I'm still interested in completing this.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

“ Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.”
True for making Librivox plans as well! Then life happens :P
jzdanowicz

Post by jzdanowicz »

Oh John Lennon, a modern philosopher!

Question, these are very short chapters. So I was wondering:
1. Is there any sort of protocol for doing more than one chapter in a single audio file? Or a limit on how many should go into one? These chapters are really only minutes long. For example, I have seven completed and am only at 19 minutes.
2. If more than one chapter is okay, does the magic window change based on how many go into the one recording?
3. And how does the naming convention work for naming the audio file?

Thank you kindly!
Jessica
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

No protocol, really. You can have as many chapters in one section as you see fit. The suggested maximum length for each section is up to 74 minutes to accommodate listeners who burn audio CDs.

You are also free to arrange the magic window as you like. You could include all chapter titles in each section title, or name it just "Chapters 1-7". I can delete any unnecessary sections at the end.

Filenaming doesn't change. The ## number in the filename is still the section number, regardless of how many chapters are in the section.

If you are going for multiple chapters in each section, the intro would be more accurate if it was "Section # of Death, etc." and "End of section #" at the end, instead of "Chapter #". You'll need one intro-disclaimer per section, regardless of how many chapters are included. So joining the chapters will save you lots of intros! :D

Any follow up questions, I'll be around!
jzdanowicz

Post by jzdanowicz »

Good morning,

Sorry for the delay! Here is the first section of the book. Please let me know if the volume needs adjusting, it passed the checker but is just outside the volume range.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/death_01_maeterlinck_128kb.mp3 28:46

Thank you kindly!
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

jzdanowicz wrote: August 1st, 2023, 7:51 am Good morning,

Sorry for the delay! Here is the first section of the book. Please let me know if the volume needs adjusting, it passed the checker but is just outside the volume range.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/death_01_maeterlinck_128kb.mp3 28:46

Thank you kindly!
No worries about the delay - I myself took a little while to PL this!

Your reading was flawless! :clap:

However, before I mark it PL OK, please do lower the volume at least .5 db so it is within the range of 87-92db. I can tell you how if you don't yet how to do so in Audacity :)

I also have a concern about how you mark the transitions between the chapters. It is confusing to the listener to have you use section 1-11 to mark the transitions of chapters throughout what is marked as section 1 in the MW. The way I recommend handling a section that contain multiple chapters combined into one section would be as follows:
  • say in the intro: "Section 1 of Death. This is a LibriVox recording.....translated by Alexander Texeira de Mattos. Chapters 1-11"
  • then say "Chapter 1", "End of chapter 1", "Chapter 2", etc. to mark the transitions between chapters.
  • finally, at the end, say "end of section 1".
This way would make it clear to the listener when they are done listening to section 1 while also understanding when each chapter begins and ends within the larger section. Hopefully that makes sense. Since you did not make any actual errors in reading, changing this is optional - just a suggestion.

If you choose to change how you mark the transitions between chapters in your recording the time stamps would be 1:30, 5:36, 7:13, 8:48, 11:22, 12:49, 14:35, 18:15, 21:41, 24:56, and 28:42.

So in sum:
-required change: decrease the volume by .5 dB
-optional change: how you mark transitions between chapters

Thanks!

Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I can delete sections 4-31 if they are no longer needed :?:
jzdanowicz

Post by jzdanowicz »

Good morning!

Thank you for your PL! I would love assistance in lowering the volume in Audacity. When I try to fiddle with it (still learning slowly) I always seem to make a change that throws the other things off. So any help would be appreciated!

As for the sections, I definitely misunderstood MC's comment on sections, so I will go back in and update those. I just started a new job so things are taking more time than I had previously entered on the forum, my apologies!

We can indeed get rid of sections 4 on though, I will group the chapters together.

Thank you so much for all your help!
Jess Z
jzdanowicz

Post by jzdanowicz »

Hello! I am still wanting to complete this! I would still love some help lowering the dB a bit. Thank you!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Jessica! Sorry this project was ignored. I left it to the DPL to answer your question on the PL notes, and then the project disappeared from my radar :oops:
Anyway, if you are using Audacity, you can use the Amplify effect to adjust volume; negative numbers, for example "-3", would lower the volume. I checked your file, and even though the measurement is indeed a bit high, there are no loud spikes or clipping, and it sounds fine to the ear, so it is quite OK to leave as is. I've marked it PL OK, and removed those extra empty sections, too.

Ready for the next one! :D