Pitch Problem

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

This is a shot in the dark, but I don't like my current pitch and can't seem to fix it. Before you write me off as a "doesn't like his own voice" whiner, let me clarify that my discontent started recently when I accidentally broke my USB mic adapter (which is apparently no longer made) and my four (count 'em, four) attempts to replace it ALL result in recordings MUDDIER than I like. I'll admit to being a bit of a 'treblemaker' when it comes to my dislike of too much 'bass-ness" in my ears, but I'd like at least to reflect my preference in my OWN recordings.

Is there any adjustments that can be made in Audacity (or Windows 10) that will act like one of those 27-band equalizers that you can put on your stereo to attenuate the bass and amplify the treble? (Or vice versa if you are so inclined). Or even just a 'bass' and 'treble' knob adjustment so I could cut down on the 'bass-iness' as I record. (I've tried to use the 'adjust pitch' effect after recording, but it just gradually makes you sound like a muddy chipmunk.)

If you know of something, just point me in the right direction, the menu title or something, I don't think I need detailed instructions. It seems to me that Audacity, with it's myriad functions and capabilities must have SOMETHING along these lines. (Though I know probably everyone thinks that about their own specific problems)
Thanks for any guidance, or at least for listening.
Brize
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Well, I've never used it, so I don't know whether it's what you want, but Graphic EQ might be what you want. The way I have Audacity set up on my PC, you would enable it from Effects/Plug In Manager/Graphic EQ.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

There's also an effect "Bass and Treble" https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/bass_and_treble.html
Either that or Equalization (Filter Curve EQ or Graphic EQ) would do for what you're describing.
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Good replies, both. I tried just the 'treble-bass' one, and it made a world of difference already! Looks like I can modify to my heart's content, depending on how much time I want to spend. I probably should have figured this out myself, but sometimes the process of writing out your complaint, narrowing it down from "this sounds awful" to something somebody else can understand and respond to, makes YOU understand it better....the equalizer thought was key. Thanks for helping me coagulate my mind!
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

And that 'Graphic EQ' is a blast! My recordings are going to be BETTER than I think I sound! Now where's that 'Pavrotti' preset...? :lol: