[COMPLETE] Multilingual Short Works Collection 035 - Poetry & Prose - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

I fixed the silences in the files; thank you! New times:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw035_deabbate_odo_lkg_128kb.mp3 2:05
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw035_deciconia_odo_lkg_128kb.mp3 1:50
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw035_declaustrali_odo_lkg_128kb.mp3 1:30

I left out the material that comes before and after the fables, which are Odo's footnotes (as opposed to the modern editor's notes at the bottom of the page); I did the fables only. Odo uses what are called promythia (before-stories) and/or epimythia (after-stories) where he puts Biblical references, quotes from Church Fathers, very much like footnotes. I just did the fables themselves. So, I started where each fable began and I stopped where each fable ended. (That's also why I left out the "ad idem" in the title of the last story; that "ad idem" is like a footnote reference).

I am so excited about being able to contribute bits of Latin like this. I have heaps of stuff I used to use with my students which is meant to be easy reading... so now they can be easy listening! :-)
Kitty wrote: December 21st, 2023, 4:15 am I am puzzled why you left out the intro sentence and the final remarks, aren't they part of the text ? Our usual rule is: read as the author wrote and we need to include the entire chapter. Footnotes are optional, but these don't strike me as footnotes, so why did you choose to leave out the rest in each section ? :hmm:
I would also suggest shortening the silence after the intro disclaimer and before the end disclaimer, over 2 seconds feels a bit long for the text to start.
Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok thank you, they are PL ok then :)
I left out the material that comes before and after the fables, which are Odo's footnotes (as opposed to the modern editor's notes at the bottom of the page); I did the fables only. Odo uses what are called promythia (before-stories) and/or epimythia (after-stories) where he puts Biblical references, quotes from Church Fathers, very much like footnotes. I just did the fables themselves. So, I started where each fable began and I stopped where each fable ended.

hm, ok so they are footnotes, I see. Ok, then I think we can leave them out. Of course that is the only bit that is really by Odo himself, as he took the other fables from older sources and only gave additional explanations, or have I misunderstood this ? It might have been more accurate to say they're from Aesop then, as the Odo-parts are left out. Or did he re-write them in easier Latin ?

Be that as it may...I'll consolidate the filenames now into alphanumerical order and then this project is handed over to our MC to catalogue. We made it on the 2023 list still :clap:

Thank you all !!! We had 8 different languages this time. Quite a good collection.

Sonia
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Kitty wrote: December 21st, 2023, 11:43 am Of course that is the only bit that is really by Odo himself, as he took the other fables from older sources and only gave additional explanations, or have I misunderstood this ? It might have been more accurate to say they're from Aesop then, as the Odo-parts are left out. Or did he re-write them in easier Latin ?
Oh no, the fables are also by Odo! That's what so great about his collection; he has some fables that come to him from the Latin Aesopic tradition as he knew it, but many of the fables are either fables he heard and wrote down, along with fables he came up with himself, very "Aesopic" in terms of the conventions of the genre, but his own creation. It's impossible to know the difference, as often he is our only source.
As for these 3 fables: he groups the succession-of-abbots story with the classical Aesopic fable of the frogs and their kings, and the story of the cat and the stork is riffing on the classical fable of the fox and the crow, but the stork is smarter than the crow and does not open her mouth, and then the abbot-and-novice is a human variation on the cat and the stork.
Years ago I actually persuaded my editor at Oxford to let me include fables by Odo in the Oxford World's Classic Aesop (she let me round up the number of fables to 600 by including Odo, so that's how many Odo fables I was allowed to include, ha ha; I would have included more if it had been up to me; Odo is awesome).
https://global.oup.com/academic/product/aesops-fables-9780199540754
There actually is no "Aesop" per se. The collections are all put together by different authors and editors over the ages. And I am one of them ha ha.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

laurakgibbs wrote: December 21st, 2023, 11:57 amOh no, the fables are also by Odo! That's what so great about his collection; he has some fables that come to him from the Latin Aesopic tradition as he knew it, but many of the fables are either fables he heard and wrote down, along with fables he came up with himself, very "Aesopic" in terms of the conventions of the genre, but his own creation.
ok that's reassuring, so we are all set. Something new learnt, that's what I so love about LV :9: Thanks

Todd: the file names are ok now and you can launch cataloguing, whenever you're ready.

see you all in the next one !!

Sonia
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Volume 36 is open for contributions!

viewtopic.php?t=100916
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Starting to make the catalog page and then catalog this. Sorry - I did not realize it was ready.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

At Archive, cranking away....

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

This project is complete. Audio files may be found on our Librivox catalog page at https://librivox.org/multilingual-short-works-collection-035-poetry-prose-by-various/

Thanks, Todd