Mic Comparison--Is One Better?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

I recorded a side by side comparison of two microphones trying to decide between them for audiobooks. Does one sound any better than the other here?

I'll call them Mic K and Mic L. I tried level matching them, with gain of K set to 68% and L set to 60%, then further normalized in software; Identical processing of both tracks with mild eq and compression.

I read list 1 of the Harvard sentences http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/audio/harvard.html recorded simultaneously and edited to play K then L of each sentence.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2r7n0l3ypt8k7ir/mictest_k_l.mp3

Here is a snapshot of the setup:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vndmx8v8jbf6zs/IMG_2497-900.jpg?raw=1

I had done this before and decided there wasn't difference enough (and my reading is more the weak link) to not go with the smaller/lighter mic on a boom arm ... but once in awhile the sound quality bothers me a little when listening back on my consumer headphones with a V shaped frequency response. Does anyone here with their audiobook listening experience (and/or better ears than mine) have an opinion?

Thank you!
Scotty
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I want to write this before I listen.

"Better" to me is also practical. I used to use a Rode NT1. But it irritated me; the shockmount got in the way and made it hard to position the Mic. I am finding the Rode Pod Mic, even though its specs aren't as good, to be easier to position where I want. It's also a directional [dynamic] microphone so I don't get the background noise or computer noise. Interestingly this breaks a rule "never do voiceover with a dynamic Mic" that I have come across.

Note: I am meaning the XLR Rode POd Mic. Needs my Scarlett interface and the amp has to be turned up because dyn amic Mics work that way. :)
I'm a geek. I wreck my computer. Then I fix it.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I hear very little if any difference through headphones. L I think is maybe slightly more sibilant than K, but barely.

I'm going to second Light on practicality. I've used side-address cardioid condenser mics for years. Last year I tried a shotgun mic, and I'm sold. Not because it necessarily sounds better -- I can't detect any difference between it and my previous mic, but because I don't have this big fat mic in my face when recording. The shotgun basically becomes invisible to me. It's completely out of my way and out of my face, and I like that.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

lightcrystal wrote: June 1st, 2023, 5:11 pm .... Interestingly this breaks a rule "never do voiceover with a dynamic Mic" that I have come across.

Note: I am meaning the XLR Rode POd Mic. Needs my Scarlett interface and the amp has to be turned up because dyn amic Mics work that way. :)
I think many podcasters swear by the Shure sm7b dynamic mic. I am also tempted to use the Sterling Audio p30 I got on a Guitar Center Daily Deal for $40 last year. Unlike most dynamics, it requires phantom power but needs less gain and has less noise (than my other dynamics) as a result. It sounds so close to mic L (Lewitt condenser) especially after rolling off the bass frequency that I think I could interchange them.
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

sjmarky wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 8:40 am I hear very little if any difference through headphones. L I think is maybe slightly more sibilant than K, but barely.

I'm going to second Light on practicality. I've used side-address cardioid condenser mics for years. Last year I tried a shotgun mic, and I'm sold. Not because it necessarily sounds better -- I can't detect any difference between it and my previous mic, but because I don't have this big fat mic in my face when recording. The shotgun basically becomes invisible to me. It's completely out of my way and out of my face, and I like that.
Thank you, Mark! That is just what I hear too. I am always surprised how close these sound. Sibilance is my biggest issue which is why I come back to mic K (Rode tube mic) sometimes. I think it is warmer and smoother on the top and takes more aggressive eq better if need be but after my usual bass roll-off it sounds so close to L (a Lewitt condenser).

I have a couple of shotgun mics as well that do sound really close, just a little less full, but after that bass roll-off again they sound so close too.

I understand feeling freer with the less cumbersome mic. Maybe it helps with performance and stamina too which is likely a much bigger factor than slight sound differences.

scotty