[HISTORY] The Story of Coventry, by Mary Dormer Harris - availle

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

And we're open for business!

Thanks for JorWat for keeping this one going as BC and DPL. :clap:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Owler

Post by Owler »

Hello, please I would like to record sections 11, 12 and 13 :)
Many thanks
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Owler wrote: September 28th, 2023, 5:36 am Hello, please I would like to record sections 11, 12 and 13 :)
Many thanks
They're all yours. I'll point out (as I only just added this to the MW), Section 12 ends at "for the singular pleasure and good grace of our sovereign lord, king Edward." in Paul's original plan.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
Owler

Post by Owler »

JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Owler wrote: October 3rd, 2023, 4:28 am Here is section 11 (length 42:47)

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/storyofcoventry_11_harris_128kb.mp3
Just one note.

9:05: Failed take to be removed
Jordan

Owler

Post by Owler »

Oops sorry about that, I have fixed it (now 42:39 in length)

JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Owler wrote: October 9th, 2023, 7:49 am Oops sorry about that, I have fixed it (now 42:39 in length)

PL OK
Jordan

Owler

Post by Owler »

JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Owler wrote: November 14th, 2023, 7:59 am Here is section 12 (length 33:38) https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/storyofcoventry_12_harris_128kb.mp3
PL OK
Jordan

Owler

Post by Owler »

JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Owler wrote: December 4th, 2023, 8:03 am Hello, here is section 13 (length 32:31)

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/storyofcoventry_13_harris_128kb.mp3
PL OK
Jordan

Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hi! May I please have section 16?
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Cbteddy wrote: December 20th, 2023, 3:00 pm Hi! May I please have section 16?
Yep, it's all yours.
Jordan

Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Here is section 16 (31:29). I did my best with the pronunciations of the Old English (?) but am happy to make any changes as needed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/storyofcoventry_16_harris_128kb.mp3
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Cbteddy wrote: December 21st, 2023, 12:04 pm Hello! Here is section 16 (31:29). I did my best with the pronunciations of the Old English (?) but am happy to make any changes as needed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/storyofcoventry_16_harris_128kb.mp3
Here are your notes:

1:17: 'Hard by people stood the Searching-house' should be 'Hard by stood the Searching-house'
1:59: You're missing "An order of leet passed in 1518 gives very precise directions for the searching process." here
2:00 (not required): I think 'foloeth' in "Hit is to be had in mynde that for a trueth of Clothmakyng to be had in this cite as foloeth" is to be parsed as 'follow-eth' (i.e. an old form of 'follows')
2:16 (not required): 'recouered' in "remedie to be recouered to eny welth or prosperite" is 'recovered'.
2:21: 'ij' in "hit is thought hit were good to have ij wevers & ij walkers" is II, or 2.
2:32: 'vj' in "and also to be chosen vj drapers to be maisters" is VI, or 6
2:44: 'vj' again in "yet some of these vj maisters schall euer be ther"
2:46 (not required): 'besynes' in "And by cause it were to great a besynes for the serchers" is 'business'
2:51 (not required): 'mannes' in "to go to every mannes howse" is 'man's'
2:54: "hit it enacted" should be "hit is enacted"
2:56: 'haue' in "at this lete to haue a howse of the gilde" is 'have'
3:16: Repetition of 'it' in "& to se it ouer a perche"
3:37 (not required): 'suerte' in "ffor of suerte ther is in London" is 'surety'.
4:10: 'fourme' in "And this serche to be made also this fourme" is 'form'
4:12: 'ij' again in "that is to sey ij days in the weke". Also, 'weke' is 'week'
4:16: 'ij' again in "and ij of the serchers"
4:19-4:23: This should be read as "from 8 of the clock to a[n] 11, and from one to 4 of the clock"
4:23 (not required): 'ordeyned' in "and a sealer to be ordeyned" is 'ordained'
4:33: 'ij' again in "and the sealles to be put in a cofre with ij keys"
4:37: No "and" before "the master of the vj drapers to have the on". Also, 'vj' again, and 'on' is 'one'
4:41: 'j d.' in "and for the serche of every cloth to the serchers to have j d." is '1 p' or 'one pence'
5:01: 'Calais' "who traded in wool as members of the Staple of Calais" is pronounced 'CAL-ey'
5:15 (not required): "and take rank among the country gentry" should be "and take rank among the county gentry"
7:05 (not required): "Just as, about a hundred years before that" should be "Just as, about a hundred years before that time"
7:20: I'm hearing 'prensent' instead of 'present' in "and "present" them for any "fault or confederacy" at the court of the mayor" ('pri-ZENT' in this case, as it's a verb)
13:13: 'pepull' in "hit is like myche of the kynges pepull" is 'people'
13:15: "and in the speciall poor chapmen and clothemakers" should be "and in speciall poor chapmen and clothemakers"
13:47: 'eese' in "Never the later for his own eese he will com to his brakemon" is 'ease'.
13:58 (not required): "the metal comes to be sold for making fishing hooks" should be "the metal comes to be sold for making fish hooks"
14:20: 'misgouerned atte herthe' in "Lo, here is a stryng or ij (two) that hathe ben misgouerned atte herthe" is 'misgoverned at hearth'
14:26 (not required): 'dever' in "my brakemon hathe don his dever" is 'devoir' (duh-VWAHR)
14:41: I'm not hearing 'hit' in "but neverthelater he sethe be cause hit is cutte"
15:10: 'lege peapull' in "in fortheryng of the kynges true lege peapull" is 'liege people'
15:13: 'eschueng' in "and in eschueng of all disseytes" is 'eschewing'
15:55: Large gap between "were ones or thies disseyved withe" and "ontrewe wire"
16:02 (not required): I believe 'warre' in "he wolde be warre" is 'ware', as in 'Cognizant, informed, conscious', like 'aware'
16:11 (not required): I believe 'honde' in "amend your honde" is 'hand'
16:22: I believe 'eontrewe' in "and the kinges peapull not disseyved with eontrewe goode" is 'untrue'
16:59: 'ne' in "no colour ne sotell imagynacion" is a form of 'nor'. Also, 'sotell' is 'subtle'.
17:06: 'grevying' in "the whiche may be hynderying or grevying to the kinges lege pepull" is 'greiving'. Also, 'lege pepull' is 'liege people' again.
18:56 (not required): 'inveighing' in "taunting the corporation with injustice and inveighing against the rules" is pronounced 'in-VEY-ing'
21:01: I'm hearing 'then' rather than 'they' in "and they repeated the order after a few years' space"
24:04: I'm hearing 'usually' rather than 'usual' in "It was usual among the artisan crafts"

I appreciate it's a lot, but this was a challenging section, what with all the Middle/Early Modern English.
Jordan