Unrecorded Pulp Sci-Fi: Short Stories

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

dsuden wrote: June 18th, 2023, 1:32 pm
flavo5000 wrote: June 1st, 2023, 2:35 pm I just did a major update with a lot of new stories (as well as removing a few that have been recorded in the last week)!
Ah, so this is a living list...it's being curated...that's fabulous. I'm going to dive in on at least one of these. So glad you're doing this.
Correct. I intend to keep this updated as frequently as possible, much like the Unrecorded Horror/Weird threads I've created.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Another big update! I was able to trim some unnecessary text and squeeze in more stories into the first three posts! I believe this should include most, if not all, unrecorded stories in Gutenberg plus some other early pulp sci-fi from other sources.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Another minor update. Removed some that have been recorded and added a few more as well as correctly attributing some names that were previously only listed as house pseudonyms.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Another minor update to the first post. Removed some, added some.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Just put two from this list on the launch pad: Mr. Zytztz Goes to Mars and Slaves of the Metal Horde.

This list is just awesome. To have the titles, word counts and sorted by author saves untold time in searching. You deserve a medal or something.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

sjmarky wrote: September 13th, 2023, 8:36 am Just put two from this list on the launch pad: Mr. Zytztz Goes to Mars and Slaves of the Metal Horde.

This list is just awesome. To have the titles, word counts and sorted by author saves untold time in searching. You deserve a medal or something.
Yup, I removed them. :thumbs:
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

I think all of the Toffee stories by Charles F. Myers have posted to Project Gutenberg now. The isfdb has corrected the two that don't have Toffee in the title, but are Toffee stories. PG has them cataloged under Henry Farrell the pseudonym he used most often, but not what he used for his SF.

https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?18081
https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/53188

Greg

It looks like there's one missing. The Spirit of Toffee is missing.
LindsayAnnCameron

Post by LindsayAnnCameron »

This is a wonderful list! :clap:
Thank you for all your time & energy spent cultivating it.
I've spent a few hours now reading some of these as bedtime stories (to myself).
I'm going to (volunteer to) read "the Amateurs".
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

I've been making my own recordings with the aim of making unrecorded sci-fi stories, the 'Ed Makes Short Sci-fi' volumes.

Somebody pointed out this thread, of which I was unaware until now. Volume IV of mine should be out soon, and it contains some unrecorded stories. These are:
'Conspiracy on Callisto' by Frederik Pohl
'The Barbarians' by Tom Godwin
'Hunting License' by James V McConnell
'An Incident on Route 12' by James H Schmitz
'Pick a Crime' by Richard R Smith

I make these volumes as a weekly podcast, and I interchange these volumes. Currently, I am recording volumes VI-IX. (IX will be the 12 Sci-fi Stories of Christmas and VII is almost finished. It makes sense in terms of my 'show' ('Columbo' was originally shown in a show with rotating characters. It's like that). Me releasing them onto Librivox is like 'going into syndication', which I guess is a bit of an anachronism these days.

Anyway, this means there are a lot of stories I have recorded that won't be up on Librivox for a little while, but could be struck off this list. There's a handful now, but there would be a weekly update.

I have made my own lists of unrecorded stories, but if I follow your list more closely, then I can avoid crossover effort, and that leaves things open for others that I will happily close off for me if and when it happens.

Shall I tell you what I've done, and post a weekly update? Or is there some other way I can better coordinate?
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Also, do you update your list based on what is being submitted into the Short Sci-fi collections, ie. stuff that has been recorded, but is in an unfinished volume?

All in all, either way, this is a lot of work. My lists took my days to make, and they aren't even a living document, like this. Good effort.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Ligeti_Grieg wrote: November 7th, 2023, 5:22 am I've been making my own recordings with the aim of making unrecorded sci-fi stories, the 'Ed Makes Short Sci-fi' volumes.

Somebody pointed out this thread, of which I was unaware until now. Volume IV of mine should be out soon, and it contains some unrecorded stories. These are:
'Conspiracy on Callisto' by Frederik Pohl
'The Barbarians' by Tom Godwin
'Hunting License' by James V McConnell
'An Incident on Route 12' by James H Schmitz
'Pick a Crime' by Richard R Smith

I make these volumes as a weekly podcast, and I interchange these volumes. Currently, I am recording volumes VI-IX. (IX will be the 12 Sci-fi Stories of Christmas and VII is almost finished. It makes sense in terms of my 'show' ('Columbo' was originally shown in a show with rotating characters. It's like that). Me releasing them onto Librivox is like 'going into syndication', which I guess is a bit of an anachronism these days.

Anyway, this means there are a lot of stories I have recorded that won't be up on Librivox for a little while, but could be struck off this list. There's a handful now, but there would be a weekly update.

I have made my own lists of unrecorded stories, but if I follow your list more closely, then I can avoid crossover effort, and that leaves things open for others that I will happily close off for me if and when it happens.

Shall I tell you what I've done, and post a weekly update? Or is there some other way I can better coordinate?
I'm pretty good about monitoring new projects, so you don't have to worry about notifying me or anything. I'll see them when you create the project. I've actually already removed most of the ones listed above since you had listed them in your latest project. Although the last two aren't currently in there. Were you going to add them?
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Ligeti_Grieg wrote: November 7th, 2023, 5:25 am Also, do you update your list based on what is being submitted into the Short Sci-fi collections, ie. stuff that has been recorded, but is in an unfinished volume?

All in all, either way, this is a lot of work. My lists took my days to make, and they aren't even a living document, like this. Good effort.
Yes, I usually remove them as they are added to the Sci-fi collections or elsewhere (some are book-length and launched as solo/group projects).
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

I didn't explain myself properly. Volumes VII-IX have been started. I thus have a bunch recorded which won't appear on Librivox for a while, but definitely will eventually, so they can be taken from your list. Good effort on keeping up, but you won't see them on the system.

'The Cyberene' by Rog Phillips
'Amateur in Chancery by George O Smith
'The Facts of Life' by P. Schuyler Miller
'$1000 a Plate' by Jack Macenty
'Guaranted - Forever!' by Frank M Robinson
'Mr. Meek Plays Polo' by Clifford D. Simak
'Wanderlust' by Alan E Nourse
'The Sense of Wonder' by Milton Lesser

All by Keith Laumer
'Retief of the Red-Tape Mountain'
'The Desert and the Stars'
'Cultural Exchange'