SOLO Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage - tg

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
RichardSaunders

Post by RichardSaunders »

SOLO Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage, by James E. Talmage (1862 - 1933)
A scriptural biography of Jesus Christ from the perspective of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Drawing from many other works of scriptual history, the book addresses the prophecies, miracles, parables, teaching, and history of the mortal Jesus. In addition it addresses his premortal position as the agent enacting God's "plan of salvation" for the redemption of Mankind and his role as Creator as position as Jehovah of the Old Testament. It also visits Jesus' post-resurrection ministry among the Nephites of the western hemisphere, and anticipates his Second Coming and role in Judgment. (Summary by Richard Saunders)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22542

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Jesus the Christ. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Jesus the Christ, by James E. Talmage. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Jesus the Christ, by James E. Talmage. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: jesusthechrist_##_talmage_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. jesusthechrist_01_talmage_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
RichardSaunders

Agh. Should have mentioned that the text file is a PDF copy of the book, rather than "none." The text is not available in Project Gutenberg but it is available, and I'll share the PDF file with proofers and anyone else.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

RichardSaunders wrote: May 17th, 2023, 8:13 am Agh. Should have mentioned that the text file is a PDF copy of the book, rather than "none." The text is not available in Project Gutenberg but it is available, and I'll share the PDF file with proofers and anyone else.
Is this a different text? https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22542
RichardSaunders

Nope--that's the one. So much for effective searching. I've read from the PDF but this should be a parallel text of the edition.

The challenge in this text has been the dual note styles. I've read the endnotes as a separate file and read in footnotes into the text.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

It looks like there are a few technical matters that need to be addressed in your One Minute test recording.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL DPL 43 27-28
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

We STRONGLY recommend that before you embark on a solo, you claim, record, and get OK'd at least one section in a group project.

This is to make sure you know what you're getting into. Recording a whole book isn't as easy as it seems. It isn't simply sitting down and recording. There's editing to do - and that often can take up to 5 times as long as recording does. In my experience, a ballpark estimate of 95% of brand new readers who start with a solo end up quitting before finishing. Please test the waters first before jumping in. :) Not only that, you're basically alone in a solo: you are the coordinator, and unless you have a very friendly DPL, you won't get much encouragement while doing your solo.

I'm moving this to the holding area until your test is OK and (I hope) you do a little in a group project. When you're ready to do the solo, post in the thread, and an admin will move it back to the Launch Pad for you. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
RichardSaunders

Sound advice. I should have mentioned that despite being new to Librivox, I have recorded audio books as accommodations for deaf students in college (albeit, that was awhile ago). More recently, my reading experience includes recording audio versions of a couple of my own books, which are university-press scholarship in history, for commercial distribution.
RichardSaunders

I meant blind college students--not deaf students (I just completed a biography of a deaf historian and that's on my mind).
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Okay - I see your test is OK, and since you have some experience with recording and editing, I think you'll be fine doing this off the bat.

Moving it back to the Launch Pad, where an MC will come along and set it up for you. :)
RichardSaunders

Thank you. The recording is done and I'm abt half through the chapters in the rough audio editing. Still need to re-record and cut in a few missed words, bad pronunciation, etc.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've set this up.

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked here: Instructions for Soloists

I've entered the first three sections for you as an example. You can fill in the rest.

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

I can DPL if you would like.

Thanks

M
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks, I'll put you in. :)
RichardSaunders

Thanks to both of you. I'm focusing my time on editing right now, hoping to get the rough edit done before sending chapters for proof listening. I'm still getting used to LibriVox abbreviations and processes and system. If I seem slow and clueless, it's because I am.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ha! No problem. Just ask if you have questions. :)

Moving this thread from the Launch Pad to Going Solo.