SOLO Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage - tg

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
RichardSaunders

Post by RichardSaunders »

Better ask about this potential complication: Talmage's book uses two scholarly note apparatuses, both footnotes (mostly for scriptural references) and lengthy chapter-ending notes for historical context. When I began recording I fiddled with different ways of trying to get the narrative and notes aligned. Finally settled on reading the footnotes into the text, including the author's references to endnotes. Due to the length of chapters, the endnotes have been read as separate files from the chapter text. That means there are more than 90 files for the book. A few of the chapters are nearly 120 minutes and will need to be divided. Add a couple of prefatory reader notes for context and the file count will come closer to nearly 100 files.

Some listeners would like just the stripped-down, text-only version, so a thought crossed my mind. Would it be possible to put up the text files read with footnotes AND a separate file of the text read without the footnotes (actually, I'd just edit them out)? If the endnotes went into yet a third file, listeners could download four different options of the book, based on whether or not they were interested in the notes.

The recording is done. I've edited and cleaned up through ch.29 and should begin posting chapter files within the next week or two.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Add a couple of prefatory reader notes for context and the file count will come closer to nearly 100 files.
What do you mean by "prefatory reader notes"? We don't allow additions to the text, aside from things like describing diagrams or noting that some text is illegible, etc.

By "text files", do you mean separate projects, or additional versions in this same project?

As a general rule, we don't allow recordings to be reused in separate projects. We could have one definitive version, then you could upload any additional versions to Archive. If you mean combining them in this same project, I'd have to talk to the other admins about it, because I'm not sure on that one.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
RichardSaunders

Yes, all the work is done (or almost) for a single complete reading of each chapter text and footnotes in one file, and endnotes in an accompanying file. As noted, most of the chapters are so long that getting all of it into one file will make the thing too long.

As a long-time scholarly editor, I wrote an explanatory introduction to the audio text laying out the reading conventions adopted to make the audio files make sense (and because I'm a historian too, I'll admit there is some historical context in there, which sounds like that will be a problem). Part of the challenge is that he uses fragments of scriptural quotes so frequently that "quote/end quote" becomes really disruptive. Another challenge is with Talmage's notes. He wrote this in the format of nineteenth century scholarship, where references are somewhat inconsistent in the way sources get referred to, so I standardized the note format and put together a note at least giving one full citation for his major sources. He also drops in a occasional Roman historical abbreviations (like "A.U.C.") that make no sense to modern folks without some sort of context (thank goodness he did not use "op. cit." and "loc. cit.").

Unfortunately, I know too much useful background about Talmage and his work and probably need to be told "no." However, hoping for "yes," could easily send along either the reader note text or audio files for review. They are separate from the book text/note files.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Footnotes and end notes in separate files is OK.

Unfortunately, the explanatory intro would be considered adding to the text.

You could put the information into the written book description, but it sounds like it will be really long.
He also drops in a occasional Roman historical abbreviations (like "A.U.C.") that make no sense to modern folks without some sort of context (thank goodness he did not use "op. cit." and "loc. cit.").
I don't know what these specific abbreviations mean, but you should be able to record them as their English equivalent. For example, "i.e." we don't require to be read either "Eye Eee" or "id est" - a reader can use "that is" instead. Or "vid." can be read "that is", "to wit", or "namely" rather than "vidalicet" or "vizz".
RichardSaunders

Got it. I'll pick out the essentials and trim things to a size to fit into the written description.
RichardSaunders

RichardSaunders wrote: June 14th, 2023, 8:57 am Thanks to both of you. I'm focusing my time on editing right now, hoping to get the rough edit done before sending chapters for proof listening. I'm still getting used to LibriVox abbreviations and processes and system. If I seem slow and clueless, it's because I am.
Still alive, though dealing with class prep. Still trying to figure out my interaction with MW. mleigh, would be helpful to visit with you directly on the file structure. Here or elsewhere?
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

RichardSaunders wrote: July 28th, 2023, 4:41 pm
RichardSaunders wrote: June 14th, 2023, 8:57 am Thanks to both of you. I'm focusing my time on editing right now, hoping to get the rough edit done before sending chapters for proof listening. I'm still getting used to LibriVox abbreviations and processes and system. If I seem slow and clueless, it's because I am.
Still alive, though dealing with class prep. Still trying to figure out my interaction with MW. mleigh, would be helpful to visit with you directly on the file structure. Here or elsewhere?
You've got some tough questions here. I can see the advantages/disadvantages of reading the file in different ways as the footnotes can be distracting to the listener but they can also provide valuable information. Are you planning on doing three files per chapter - text, footnotes, endnotes or putting the footnotes and endnotes into one file. I would suggest separating the notes by chapter so the listener can easily get to the ones they want to hear.

M
RichardSaunders

I've read the text and the footnotes (mostly limited to short scripture references) into one file, and the longer endnotes into another file. Most chapters are long enough that the division is required to stay within length limits anyway. A couple of the longer chapters will have to be broken up as well, but I'd like input on those first. Editing isn't a problem on this end.

About 30 of the 42 chapters (and notes) have been through the rough edit and ready to be reviewed. I'll get those uploaded as soon as I can navigate the upload system.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

My comments are primarily dealing with LibriVox specifications. Your reading is really good and you are easy to listen to even though the book is not always easy to follow (too much back and forth with the footnotes).

PL Notes

Section 0:
please delete about 1 second of silence at start want between 0.5 and 1 second of silence at start
add "End of preface" at the end before the ending silence.
add about 2.5 seconds of silence at end.
drop volume so that it is under 92 dB. at least 0.2 dB but ideally around 3.2 dB so that it gets near to 89 dB

Section 1:
please delete about 1 second of silence at start want between 0.5 and 1 second of silence at start

Section 2:

Section 3:
drop volume so that it is under 92 dB. at least 0.2 dB but ideally around 3.2 dB so that it gets near to 89 dB
6:45 you have "Nephi" instead of "Moroni" in " was subsequently abridged by Moroni, " if Nephi is actually correct here, just let me know that
8:17 You've got "BCE" instead of "BC", since BCE is newer in use than the book, do you want to use it?
Then follows "The author, Articles of Faith, xiv:10-12"; here you have "pages 260-262". Can you explain the difference to me or change it?
The MW lists this section as "Chapter 3", should be changed to "Chapter 2, Notes"

Then just repost the files with the same filenames and they should be PL OK.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Again, good job with the recording.

Thanks,

M
RichardSaunders

Thank you. As a longtime editor I remain convinced that everyone needs an editor, and your kind comments reinforce that. I completely agree that the notes break things up for listening. I've dabbled with the thought of producing one set of files with the references in place and another with them removed and just the narrative text. Don't know if admin would go for that but I'm sure listeners would.

I'll work on the files this weekend and try to get replacements uploaded with the next batch of new ones.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hi, Richard! Are you still working on this?
RichardSaunders

I am. The recording is done. Just finished cleaning up the WAV audio files. Currently exporting the full set of 128kb MP3 files for upload. The downside is that it ate up time, but the plus side is that it should go through PL very quickly. Wedding this weekend but likely upload the entire group of files next week.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Wonderful!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I just noticed that you have files in the MW that aren't listed as being Ready for PL. I didn't notice before! :shock:

Are all those files ready for PL? If they're marked that way (in the last column inside the MW), then the DPL will get those sections put on their "to do" list on their reader page. Otherwise, unless you post about them, she won't know about them. :)
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

So far I have gotten through chapter 5.

Chapter 3

section 3: chapter 2, endnotes has been overwritten by chapter 3 as both have the same filename; a correction needs to be made

delete 1 sec at start
drop volume at least 0.7 db, although getting it to around 89 dB would be ideal
1:12 text reads "Articles of Faith," iii:1-10,"but you have "p52-57"
5:42 text reads "Articles of Faith," iii:21-32,"but you have "p63-70"
missing "end of chapter 3" before the 5 ending seconds of silence

3n filename?? - this is nonstandard, is it acceptable to use?
drop volume at least 1.1 db, although getting it to around 89 dB would be ideal
4:10 text reads "Articles of Faith," iii:1, 2," but you have "p52, 53"
8:17 "From an
address by the author at the Eighty-fourth Semiannual Conference of the Church, Oct. 6,
1913; published in the Proceedings of the Conference, pp. 118, 119" should specify the name of the conference