Hi newbie here.

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
JOstrus

Post by JOstrus »

Hi everyone. I've been a listener to LibriVox for a little bit and thought I'd try to give back while also seeing if narration might be a hobby/career change for me. I hope working on short chapters or possibly even a book at some point will help me become a better reader and speaker. I've had a YouTube channel where I've posted tutorial style videos sporadically for the last 10 or so years. But I'm unhappy with my vocal performance. I hope working on some projects here will help bring that up.

I hope once I get the OK from my 1-minute test post I can get some feedback once I start recording things. I recently grabbed myself some better quality equipment that isn't just a gaming headset microphone. So I figure now is as good a time as any to start my venture.

For the more technically curious people:

I'm on Windows. Using a Shure SM57 mic with a pop filter, and a GoXLR interface. I've been playing with a few different DAWs to see what I like. I think I've settled on using Cakewalk by Bandlab as one of my co-workers has been using it for years. They offered assistance should I have questions. It also comes with a decent chunk of plugins should I need to do anything fancy. I find it a little easier to do some things than in Audacity, such as punch and roll. Though that's not terribly difficult to sort of do in Audacity. It is admittedly missing a few things that are built into Audacity, like the click removal. So far I don't think I've needed that.