Librivox Addicts

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

Perusing this forum, I found an ancient thread from 2006 re admins and reader retention (one of my interests), and was particularly struck with Hugh's depiction of Librivoxers as "addicts".
viewtopic.php?t=1619&hilit=%22admin+requirements%22

Librivoxing certainly is addictive, but why do we devote so much time and effort to it? Not sure of our average age (guessing millennials and older), but we're not unlike the younger generation's addiction to their smartPhone apps, whom I am told increasingly live their lives virtually . . . on Snapchat, TicToc, Messenger, Twitter, Facetime, chat rooms, etc. It's obvious, they cannot spend 5 minutes away from their phones, even while at school or work. We are experiencing a cultural phenomenon, to be sure!

I've listed some reasons Librivoxers might devote so much time to this project. I invite you to add to this list, elaborating with personal stories if you wish, hoping to hear from young and old, newbies and old-timers alike. For starters:

A virtual personal social life
Feelings of connectivity to a wider world
Education
Entertainment
Love to read out loud.
Preserve public domain literature for future generations
Popularize a favorite author
Bring audiobooks to the blind
Participate in "something meaningful"

Your turn . . .
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Only 1 year and 1000 members in, and "addicts" was already the word of choice! :lol:

Your list looks pretty inclusive, and I'd say my own reasons flow between them over time. Whatever the current motivation is, I can always find an LV project to meet it! Here are two personal bits that each tangle a few together. :)

I suppose I'm on the tail end of "millennial"; I've settled professionally and the time now seems to be slipping away from me. I've always been a reader, but in the past few years I only "had time" to listen to audio books while doing other tasks. Having someone to share it with, and a set schedule (hello, weekly poetry!) gives me the nudge to make time to sit down and do something I really enjoy.

Since starting with LibriVox, I've found I love to perform writings as much as to read or listen to them: whether it's a poem with a jumbled cadence or baffling allegory, the melodramatic musings of a romantic hero, or the oddly-written reports of an under-prepared bureaucrat, I take satisfaction in overcoming the challenge - in finding that real human connection to share with the listener.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Although LibriVox is often called a crowdsourcing site, I'm not here for the socialization aspects of the site. I'm here, and addicted, for two main sources of enjoyment.

1. Recording books here is an extension of a time when I would read aloud to my school-age and teen nieces and nephews. As they grew older, I felt that if they enjoyed listening to me, others might, and this was the best outlet to achieve that goal. It's also why I concentrate on solos mostly, as opposed to group projects or dramatic works. And especially to those works which I have also provided to Project Gutenberg. :D

2. I've always loved to read or listen to books, which is why I enjoy the proof-listening aspect of this site. I've listened to many books which I otherwise would never have chosen to read, and which I found more enjoyable than I thought they'd be.
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

I'm only an occasional contributor, so maybe not the target of this thread, but I mainly just like having a reason to read out loud because, as most of us here know, it is a fun, added dimension to reading and trying to connect with the writer, bringing their words to life. Although I enjoy books, I have never actually been an avid reader and maybe that is why I usually just drop in for a bit then move on to another hobby for a bit, then another and another until eventually circling back here.

Seeing that old thread reminds me that I had a different Librivox account a long time before this one (forgot username) but was mostly a lurker and didn't contribute much if anything, though I used to make my own audiobook read-along cds for my young nieces to whom I wasn't able to read in person some 20 years ago, when cds actually still existed 🤣

Btw, my 15 year-old son doesn't have or want a phone (he has other addictions, haha) and it is starting to be a problem as schools now assume everyone has one. He'll succumb to the pressure very soon.
david wales

Post by david wales »

I retired in 2009 from a career/vocation in which I did a lot of public speaking. I have a strong (loud?!) voice and I thought audibly reading books (I had not yet added the word "audiobooks" to my vocabulary) might be an interesting retirement hobby. I first tried contacting places that read books for the blind but got no response to my emails. I now don't remember how I found librivox; probably a google search; it took me a couple of years. I had not read books out loud before and it took awhile to get the hang of it. I've forgotten the name of the admin who very patiently !! taught me the process but I am forever grateful to her for leading me on to persevere. I've added some files to some multi-reader projects but mostly I like to do solo projects. I lurk on gutenberg every morning with my first cup of tea (I love coffee but it doesn't love me so for decades my anglophilia has been bolstered by gallons of tea.) and sometimes find interesting books that I never would have run across otherwise. Reading for librivox, besides being a pleasure, has added a meaningful activity to this old geezer. And I think our admins are absolutely marvelous!!!!

Edit: I should add that I've been an avid reader all my life and librivox just adds on to that.
Peace, David
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

Getting to hear myself talk. In conversations, I often don't know what to talk about, so it's an interesting experience here to get to fill long stretches of time with my voice.

Joy of creation. If something does come out well, it's a pleasant experience.
Sidenote, this makes me think of book/game/movie piracy where some people say the creators are greedy for wanting to be remunerated for their work and they should create for joy of creation only. I certainly don't share that attitude. On here, I'm voluntarily, knowingly creating something I won't be paid for - my choice. And I think I'll always enjoy creating. But if I were to get into commercial audiobooks, I would want to get paid, too. It's a weird thought that because you do something you like, you're supposedly obliged to always do it free for anyone under all circumstances.

Dreams of recording one specific book if I can get good enough.
Maaaan, that beginning but so much more, that ending! And people in my country don't know this book (at least not widely).

Maybe, hopefully, training this skill for commercial use.

Helping listeners spend some enjoyable time with the stories, maybe on their way to work or when relaxing afterward. In the thank-you thread, I quite like reading the stories readers tell about the audiobooks they liked, from how they came to find them to under which circumstances they were listening to them, e.g. one guy was just looking for something to fill time while working on the fields, so he downloaded French books (while not speaking French), enjoying the melodious nature of the language. Another used the books of a particular reader because as he was recovering physically from combat abroad, that reader's voice would always help him calm down. And so on.
It's a fascinating thought that what we put on here may remain for a long time and be heard by many people, giving them joy (hopefully!).
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen: