Editing question

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
MissJennyVoices

Post by MissJennyVoices »

Quick question.....so I just finished my first recording after my test recording and it went great. My question is about after recording. Obviously, I would take out all of my mistakes but then I feel like I should save a copy of the audio before it gets equalized and compressed so that I have it in case I need to make edits. Thoughts??
8-) Jenny 8-)
MissJennyVoices

"You’re never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book & read to a child." --Dr. Seuss
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

That's what I do - I cut out any re-takes, then save the Audacity file before going on to use Noise Reduction, etc.
After processing, I export the MP3 but don't save those changes in Audacity. Since my processing steps are usually the same, it's easy enough to re-apply them to the whole recording if I re-record any parts.
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

I keep backups, too:
One of the complete raw and unedited recording,
one of the processed (noise reduction, compressor, amplified to 89 db) but unedited recording.
So far, I've mostly needed the processed recording to reinsert audio that was cut out but, on second thought, the better version of a line.
The raw recording ... rarely. But you never know when it may turn out that processing made something worse. One thing at least that I noticed: Compression makes the very beginning of the recording less loud than the rest. But nowadays, I circumvent that problem by other means (i.e. talking unrelated stuff at the start, only then starting the text).
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Hi and welcome to LibriVox!

I keep copies of most everything.
When I complete a recording, I save it using all caps to avoid confusion. These go in my LV Read folder, but may spend time in my LV To Edit folder.
Then, I save a copy of what I submit, edited with any processing that I do, usually limited to noise reduction and amplification. This goes in my Recordings folder. I do not save an interim copy, edited but not processed. There is a rationale for that, I suppose, but I've not found it necessary in my 1600+ LV recordings.

I do a lot of PL work, and I save a copy of all of those files as well.

I do remember one time when there was a catastrophic failure on the server, and those of us who had backup files were able to help restore them.

~ Larry

Today, May 26, is my 11 year anniversary with LibriVox. What a journery!
Some stats: 2,300 projects, 335 as BC, 500 as DPL, 1850 as reader.
More to come :D