Moravians in Jamaica - rap

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

FaithAE wrote: July 16th, 2023, 9:20 am Hi Rapunzelina and SilverQuill
Please find my mp3 for review
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/chapter_2_.mp3 (58:35)
Thanks. Await revisions/comments.
KR
Faith
I've marked this PL OK, with a note that the file name needs to be correct, which our DPL will take care of.
Overall, very good reading.

I forgot I need to spot check the introduction, but will do so shortly.

I think you're on the right track!
Will your partner be sending us something soon?
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Hello Silverquil
Thank you for your feedback. My sister is the other reader.
I will chivvy her along to send her test- we have talked it through:she is a bit
technophobe, I believe!

Is there discussion on the forum about where AI may upturn all this wonderful volunteer
voice work, or do we think there will be room for humans and AI in this space? Just thinking....
KR
Faith
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

There has been mention of AI yes, but Librivox has always been about people who enjoy reading aloud, so this will always remain a platform for people who enjoy reading, and people who enjoy listening to them. There is room for AI voice work, just not in here :D
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

AI is already making inroads in some VO settings, but they cannot do what we do. Nothing artificial about our intelligence. :mrgreen:
~ Larry
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Thankyou both for thoughtful replies.
Certainly, the incursion of AI in an endeavour like librivox (I.e audio book) would totally negate the sense of a worldwide connected community , democratisation of knowledge, and special 'opensource' ethos that comes with the time and effort everyone contributes.
As societies we do need to debate from now how much of our lives we want to submit to AI technological solutions.
KR
Faith
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Hi Rapunzelina and Silverquil, Hoping that you are both well.
I am chasing my sister to see when she can upload her test (if she hasn't already).

I do need advice though. I have completed reading chapter 4 of the book.
Mindful that files must be under 60 minutes...I have had to split the chapter in two files!
File 1 55 mins 50 sec
File 2 49 mins 27 sec

I I am unsure how I need to "top and tail" the parts- do I just read everything as normal?
II Also, what file name will the server accept? Does the magic window have to be re-written?
At the moment they are
moraviansinjamaica_04_buchner_128kb [this is file 1]
moraviansinjamaica_04a_buchner_128kb [this is file 2]

Once I have this instruction I should be able to get this third chapter sent over.
I have used the click reduction function in audacity as best I can and the amplify option- but I still hear
a few clicks- its just to know if it is "good enough" for listening experience.

KR
Faith
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

When I say "normal" I mean...
This is a librivox recording...domain.
Chapter 4... End of part 1-chapter 4
Chapter 4 continued... End of part 2 -chapter 4; end of chapter 4.

????
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hello Faith!

Regarding reading the opening and closing words, an example is to begin the recording with "Chapter 4, part 1, of Moravians in Jamaica ..." and end with "End of Chapter 4, part 1". And accordingly for "Chapter 4, part 2". Or anything else that you prefer, that would convey this meaning of chapter continuity, like the example you gave. :thumbs:

Regarding filenames, keep giving unique filenames like you have been doing, and at cataloguing time, they will be renamed to follow the section numbers. But as we don't know if your sister needs to split her chapters too, we can't know the accurate section numbers now. As long as each file has a unique filename and the correct spot in the Magic Window, I can settle the filenames at the end.

Both you and I can add extra sections in the Magic Window so let me know if you'd like help with that. There's an "Add new section" button when you're logged in the Magic Window. You'll be given the option of filing in Section title, etc., but you can also click "Add" without filling them in. The new section will appear at the bottom of the table and you can click on it to drag and drop it where you want it, e.g. between sections 4 and 5. I hope this makes sense, or you can refer to the Magic Window guide for more details: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window#What_if_I_need_to_change_the_number_of_rows_in_the_table?
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Thankyou,as ever,for speed of reply. I will get to altering the start and end of chapters.
I will also make time to get a bit more familiar with the magic window.
KR
Faith
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Hi Both
Chapter 4 parts 1 and 2- as discussed
========================================
Please find the links to next chapters
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/moraviansinjamaica_04_buchner_128kb.mp3 57:19 mins
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/moraviansinjamaica_04a_buchner_128kb.mp3 42:38 mins

Both files cleared on the checker. Just hope note too many annoying click sounds. I am playing with mike being quite away from my mouth.

Thanks
Faith
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

FaithAE wrote: September 1st, 2023, 12:18 pm Hi Both
Chapter 4 parts 1 and 2- as discussed
========================================
Please find the links to next chapters
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/moraviansinjamaica_04_buchner_128kb.mp3 57:19 mins
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/moraviansinjamaica_04a_buchner_128kb.mp3 42:38 mins

Both files cleared on the checker. Just hope note too many annoying click sounds. I am playing with mike being quite away from my mouth.

Thanks
Faith
Hello, Faith
I've taken the liberty of making some adjustments to the Magic Window for you.
I've added another section for Chapter 4 Part 2 and entered these marking them Ready for PL.
I'll listen to these as soon as I can. Extremely busy on this end.
I also checked the intro, and marked it PL OK

There will be a few changes to suggest on these files, but I'll give them to you all together. Really looking forward to listening to these!
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Here are some notes for Chapter 4, Part 1:

The overall volume is too low, at 86.1 decibels. Technically, it is within range which is 86-92 dBs but it would be better to amplify it by 3. The intro, including the chapter summary, is even lower, so I would boost that by an additional 2.

Then, at the end of the recording there is a long gap then some additional recording, so you'll need to trim that.

When you upload the corrected version, use the file name:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/moraviansinjamaica_06_buchner_128kb.mp3

Thanks again for an engaging reading. :D
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Here are some notes for Part 2:

Same comment about the volume being right at the low end of our scale.
Then, if you could trim the silences -- at the beginning, no more than one second, and at the end trim to about 5 seconds.

As before -- quite excellent reading! :D

Upload your corrected file under the name:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/moraviansinjamaica_07_buchner_128kb.mp3
~ Larry
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Faith! I hope my message finds you well. Time for an update! How are things here?
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Helloo Team
Firstly, please accept my humble apologies. I am fully committed to completing this project 100%. Please do not abandon it.

I have no excuses- just overcommitted. I had to clear three ongoing projects off my desk (a dramatised conversation about research into
Marcus Garvey's last years in in London; the write up and printing of family geneological research spanning 1995 to date;
signing off the design of a family crest that is 3 years in the making)- these are all now completed (yeah!).
I was also planning a January 24 trip to Salvador, Brazil (which was amazing)

Re this project- I got a bit discouraged because I wasn't getting the volume levels right on my recorded sections and so combined with
a couple other competing evening demands and plain old tired of sitting at a computer all day ...to battle with computer post work...
I let things slide. Also, my sister has been chivvy'd and she promises action...but...

So, here is my plan in 2024. I will postpone any new personal projects until I have completed this one. This may become a solo project
if my sister really cannot commit (despite desire). It sits on my action board in the kitchen! I will review the comments about sound levels etc and
either re-record or adjust. I will get a firm date from sister (her challenge is being non-technical and not having local support. My husband is tech savvy).
So, we shall see.
Please stick with me. Really want to add to the Librivox canon and hopefully, after this experience, I can go on to do others.

Kind regards
Faith