Moravians in Jamaica - rap

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

The Moravians in Jamaica, by J.H Buchner
The United Brethren's Church (also known as the Moravians) , were invited to the Island of Jamaica by the Foster-Barhams in 1754.
Spanning a hundred years of pre- and post- 'emancipation' history, read about the encounters between African people who were enslaved and the missionaries from Europe. (Summary by Faith Abiola-Ellison )
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/moraviansinjamai00buch/page/42/mode/2up [full text]
https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Moravians_in_Jamaica.html?id=x60qAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y [preface page iii missing]

Deadline: [BC PLEASE NOTE- Due to our ancestor links to the plantations mentioned, volunteers Faith Abiola-Ellison-FaithAE and Harriet Barham will read all the chapters of this book together. No further volunteers are required. [we have removed remaining text]

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: WPQ5EolN
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 8
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known):
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book: slavery, christian, Jamaica, spirituality, african, missionaries

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Moravians in Jamaica. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Moravians in Jamaica, by J.H Buchner. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Moravians in Jamaica, by J.H Buchner."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: moraviansinjamaica_##_buchner_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. moraviansinjamaica_01_buchner_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.
Last edited by FaithAE on May 7th, 2023, 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Faith, I'd love to set up this project for you, unless you've already arranged with another admin :?:

What I would like you to do before you and Harriet start recording is a test recording to check that both your recording setups work well, as described here:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
and also send me a picture of the copyright information of the book (you can upload it to my folder, the same way you upload a recording). The book needs to be published in or before 1927 to be in the public domain. If your book is a more recent edition, you could use this online text: https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Moravians_in_Jamaica.html?id=x60qAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

If she hasn't done already, Harriet will also need to register in the forum to be credited as a reader. Thanks!
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Hello Rapunzela
No we have no admin linked to project, so thankyou for your kind offer and Yes pls support us.
I will be the Coordinator for chapters. We were going to use our amazon printed version so thanks for the link to the correct version that we will use. Noted.
Harriet has a user login .
We just need to get our tests done, as you suggest.

KR
Faith
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Sorry Rapunzelina not Rapunzela
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

No worries, you're not wrong, Rapunzelina comes from Rapunzela :)

I have found a few more online sources, please check and choose the one that is easier to read from for you:

https://archive.org/details/moraviansinjama00buchgoog

or

https://archive.org/details/moraviansinjamai00buch

or

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/005792618

In the meantime, I have added the Magic Window (MW) in the first post. When you are ready to start, you'll need to set up your own password to gain access to the Magic Window, which you can then use for the uploader, too (forum name + MW password).

Here's all you need to know about the Magic Window:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Start with "Accessing the System – First Time Login" to create your password.

It's a lot of information, so please ask if anything is unclear. Basically, you fill in the Section titles, and whenever you upload a recording, you put the duration in the Notes field, enter the file url, and mark it Ready for PL in the last column. Then also post in the thread that you've added new files in the Magic Window, so that all project activity is recorded in the forum.

But first, concentrate on the test recording to check your setup. :thumbs:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

You will also need someone to proof listen your recordings, and I am glad to do that. If you are agreeable Rapunzelina will put me in as DPL,
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Dear Rapunzelina and Silverquill
OMG I am so grateful for your responsiveness!
Impressed and grateful.
#Rapunzelina- noted, will digest. I am a process map kinda gal and may just create something and share with the community ( in time)
#Silverquill- DPL, yes please ! And Thnk you!!!
I keep HAB updated with our communications.
KR
Faith
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Hi Rapunzelina
We will record from the google version https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Moravians_in_Jamaica.html?id=x60qAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y - thanks for the link.

The format will be
File 1-Harriet Dedication and Preface (1/2 pages is missing- should we skip altogether?)-
File 2-Faith Introduction -(there are errata corrected on last page of book- do I read errors here or insert the corrections?)
File 3-Harriet Chapter 1-
File 4-Faith Chapter 2-
File 5-Harriet Chapter 3-
File 6-Faith Chapter 4-
File 7-Harriet Chapter 5- (there is a table on page 153, do we read it out in entirety)?
File 8-Faith Chapter 6 and Contents- (the contents is the equivalent to our index today, seems important to read but relates to page numbers which the listener won't have unless they refer to the google book- I presume I read this in its entirety)

Hope that all makes sense.

Please let me know what approach is best to take, where I have queries.
Much thanks, Faith
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

FaithAE wrote: May 7th, 2023, 8:01 am File 1-Harriet Dedication and Preface (1/2 pages is missing- should we skip altogether?)-
You may, if you want, use the alternative source just for this page: https://archive.org/details/moraviansinjamai00buch/page/n9/mode/2up
I think it will be better to have the text complete.
FaithAE wrote: May 7th, 2023, 8:01 am File 2-Faith Introduction -(there are errata corrected on last page of book- do I read errors here or insert the corrections?)
I think it's best to directly read the corrections; less confusing for the listener.
FaithAE wrote: May 7th, 2023, 8:01 am File 7-Harriet Chapter 5- (there is a table on page 153, do we read it out in entirety)?
You may skip the table if you want, or include it if you feel the information is interesting and/or crucial. Since it is an "annexed" table, it can be skipped, but you may say instead, something like "Table on page 153 titled 'Statistical Table of the United Brethren's (Moravian) Missions, Jamaica, Dec. 31, 1853." so that if a listener wanted to see the table, they'd know where to look for it in the book. Optional!
Footnotes are also optional, you may skip or include as you see fit - if they are interesting, if they add something to the text, etc.
FaithAE wrote: May 7th, 2023, 8:01 am File 8-Faith Chapter 6 and Contents- (the contents is the equivalent to our index today, seems important to read but relates to page numbers which the listener won't have unless they refer to the google book- I presume I read this in its entirety)
I would skip the contents completely, but of course you're welcome to read them if you prefer. If you choose to read them, please read them in their entirety.
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Much thanks.

Trying to follow the instructions for the BC and MC separate login to the Management Tool but
getting the error message that I don't have permission. Are you able to advise?

Thank you
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I have just filled in the Magic window based on your file break down, but feel free to make changes once you have access to the Magic Window.

I have also moved us to the Readers Found forum and added Larry (silverquill) as DPL! :clap:

The url of the project thread is the same, but please post that you've seen the change and can still find it!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

FaithAE wrote: May 7th, 2023, 8:34 am Much thanks.

Trying to follow the instructions for the BC and MC separate login to the Management Tool but
getting the error message that I don't have permission. Are you able to advise?

Thank you
ah, had you maybe logged in with the general Librivox password before that? If there is an option to log out, choose Log out and try again.
Let me know how it goes.
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

PS Rapunzelina, I see we are working with a LV Veteran of over 12 years! Wow!
I couldn't see which part of the world you are clicking from...I am London,Uk
based.
KR
Faith
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Librivox is so addictive! In a good way! I wish I had done a lot more within those 12 years, I feel I don't record as much as I'd like to! 24 hours a day are not enough! :lol:

I think your trouble with the magic window was my fault. I'm sorry! I hope it works the next time you try!
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Hello again.
I suspect those 12 years have flown...and life has a habit of "getting in the way" (as it were)...

Here is my test recording https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/230508-faithae-test.mp3
I will also post into the Test Forum area (when I find it?).

Parameters
00:32 (mm:ss) audacity 3.2.5, windows,USB headphones
When exporting to mp3 I chose "force export to mono" (versus stereo

KR
Faith