COMPLETE[PLAY] Hansel and Gretel, by Adelheid Wette - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

HÄNSEL AND GRETEL, A FAIRY OPERA IN THREE ACTS, by Adelheid Wette (1858 - 1916) and Engelbert Humperdinck (1854 - 1921)
Adelheid Wette asked that her older brother, Engelbert Humperdinck, compose music for some children's song lyrics she had written. That simple request led to a sibling collaboration for a much loved Grand Opera enjoyed by audiences the world over. This audio book is a recitation of the libretto written by Adelheid Wette for HÄNSEL AND GRETEL, A FAIRY OPERA IN THREE ACTS. (Summary by Brian Fullen)
This project is complete. Audio files can be found on our Librivox catalog page at https://librivox.org/haensel-and-gretel-a-fairy-opera-in-three-acts-by-adelheid-wette/

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43289

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: PKMqEoDB
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelheid_Wette (Adelheid Wette)
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engelbert_Humperdinck (Engelbert Humperdinck)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 10
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known):
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Plays

Keywords that describe the book: märchenoper, fairy-tale opera

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

If reading stage directions say:
"Act # of HÄNSEL AND GRETEL, A FAIRY OPERA IN THREE ACTS. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. HÄNSEL AND GRETEL, A FAIRY OPERA IN THREE ACTS, by Adelheid Wette and Engelbert Humperdinck. Act #."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Act #."
For the last act, add at the end:
"End of HÄNSEL AND GRETEL, A FAIRY OPERA IN THREE ACTS, by Adelheid Wette and Engelbert Humperdinck."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

If reading a character role, ensure you include a voice credit for your character as described in the MW. You do not need to read the above intros or outros.

Filename for character and stage direction files: hanselandgretel_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. hanselandgretel_hansel_1.mp3)

Filename for final files once assembled: hanselandgretel_#_wette_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. hanselandgretel_01_wette_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: toddhw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by BrianFullen on June 10th, 2023, 9:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

I do believe this project could work as a recital of Adelheid Wette's libretto, but, ideally, I would like to approach it as an Opéra Comique. Mainly because I think it would be a shame not to hear Brother, Come and Dance with Me, Evening Benediction (Abendsegen), etc. performed as songs.

I suppose that the actual number of sections and many other aspects of the MW and, really, the first post will change once a decision has been made on how best to proceed. I have not done BC for a collaborative play as yet - I am looking forward to that challenge - and I don't imagine that a project that could include musical performances will be a simple affair; I am very much open to suggestions and I will certainly welcome those.

The libretto has both the German and its English translation. I had hoped to launch both projects but frankly I don't think I am a good choice to launch a German language project for this book. I do hope that someone else might consider doing that.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Brian
This looks like an interesting project although quite a brave one for someone who hasn't BCed a play before. I have BCed a few plays including an opera libretto (spoken text only) so if I can help in any way let me know.

I would also be interested in the role of Peter, the Father. I have done some amateur opera in the past and have a baritone voice which might suit the role.

Good Luck :wink:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

alanmapstone wrote: May 4th, 2023, 11:03 pm Hi Brian
This looks like an interesting project although quite a brave one for someone who hasn't BCed a play before. I have BCed a few plays including an opera libretto (spoken text only) so if I can help in any way let me know.

I would also be interested in the role of Peter, the Father. I have done some amateur opera in the past and have a baritone voice which might suit the role.

Good Luck :wink:
Thanks for calling me brave not foolish. For some reason the song Fools Rush In is playing in my head and I can't get it out of there unless maybe I start singing it. The part of Peter will be yours! You do realize that in this one he's not a stout wood cutter but a broom maker, right? :) Pardon me, a stout broom maker! A fine occupation as well, no doubt!
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi
When you talk of doing it as an Opera Comique do you mean a mixture of spoken dialogue interspersed with songs (arias, duets, etc). The Humperdinck opera is thru-composed with quite complex (almost Wagnerian) orchestration so that would not be possible. Where are you thinking off getting music for the arias? Remember any published tunes used on LV recordings have be be provably PD.

I would certainly qualify as Stout :lol:
Alan
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

alanmapstone wrote: May 5th, 2023, 12:09 am Hi
When you talk of doing it as an Opera Comique do you mean a mixture of spoken dialogue interspersed with songs (arias, duets, etc). The Humperdinck opera is thru-composed with quite complex (almost Wagnerian) orchestration so that would not be possible. Where are you thinking off getting music for the arias? Remember any published tunes used on LV recordings have be be provably PD.

I would certainly qualify as Stout :lol:
Hi Alan,

If you prefer we could use the term singspiel, as Humperdinck did, instead of opera comique. His younger sister, Adelheid Wette asked that he compose music for some lyrics that she wrote. Hansel and Gretel began as a Singspiell of songs with piano accompaniment and connecting dialog. Later, he developed complete orchestration for a 'Grand Opera'. It doesn't seem at all surprising that Humperdinck's orchestration sould be compared to Wagner's given that Humperdiinck had assisted Wagner.

The libretto, or book if you prefer, by Adelheide Wette, is loosely based on the Brothers Grimm telling of a traditional folk tale. At least some of the songs are also certainly based on traditional German folk songs that were then arranged by Engelbert Humperdinck with lyrics written or adapted by his sister.

At the moment I am certainly not looking for sheet music for a full orchestral score. As I posted earlier in this topic, I do believe that a recitation of the book is viable as a Librivox project. A singspiel? Possibly. Why not?

Thank you,
Brian
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

The Singspiel format sounds like a good idea particularly if you can find traditional folk tunes for the songs as these tend to be PD.
Go for it :thumbs:
Alan
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

alanmapstone wrote: May 5th, 2023, 12:41 pm The Singspiel format sounds like a good idea particularly if you can find traditional folk tunes for the songs as these tend to be PD.
Thanks, my friend, I really do appreciate your insights! I'm not sure if this one counts as PD, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother%2C_Come_and_Dance_with_Me, but maybe it does. I could really use some help with the music since I'm not a musician. I'm more of a music appreciator! :lol: Say, do you know your around sites such as IMSLP? I've been trying to navigate that beast in around doing work other projects that I have in motion. So far, I've only happened on https://imslp.org/wiki/H%C3%A4nsel_und_Gretel_(Humperdinck,_Engelbert). In my own, learning on the job kind of way, I suppose what I'm looking for are transcriptions for piano that might be PD, if such things do exist.
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

BrianFullen wrote: May 5th, 2023, 2:02 pm
alanmapstone wrote: May 5th, 2023, 12:41 pm The Singspiel format sounds like a good idea particularly if you can find traditional folk tunes for the songs as these tend to be PD.
Thanks, my friend, I really do appreciate your insights! I'm not sure if this one counts as PD, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother%2C_Come_and_Dance_with_Me, but maybe it does. I could really use some help with the music since I'm not a musician. I'm more of a music appreciator! :lol: Say, do you know your around sites such as IMSLP? I've been trying to navigate that beast in around doing work other projects that I have in motion. So far, I've only happened on https://imslp.org/wiki/H%C3%A4nsel_und_Gretel_(Humperdinck,_Engelbert). In my own, learning on the job kind of way, I suppose what I'm looking for are transcriptions for piano that might be PD, if such things do exist.
I use IMSLP a fair amount. For the Humperdinck H&G, from the link you've given above, chose the "Arrangements and Transcriptions" tab. As I write this there are 69 scores in there. The first item is a piano four hands recension of the complete opera, which is PD. Scrolling down, I see a PD pf score for the Act 3 Knusperwalzer.
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Beeswaxcandle wrote: May 5th, 2023, 3:00 pm
BrianFullen wrote: May 5th, 2023, 2:02 pm
I use IMSLP a fair amount. For the Humperdinck H&G, from the link you've given above, chose the "Arrangements and Transcriptions" tab. As I write this there are 69 scores in there. The first item is a piano four hands recension of the complete opera, which is PD. Scrolling down, I see a PD pf score for the Act 3 Knusperwalzer.
Thank you! Now all I need is two more hands (or a friend), a piano and some piano lessons! Just kidding, of course, I can't help myself, but I'll try. :) I do appreciate your help. Seriously, how does one solicit musicians for LV projects? I've no idea how to do that. I do suppose it would be wise to line up a musician before getting underway with a project that [could possibly also] have music. And I suppose that broaches the topic of editing. I'm not daunted by the sort of editing that I have done to this point, but I'd be lying if I said that I was fully confident that I could properly mix voice and piano tracks down to a mono recording. Someone has to have experience in that and I am hoping that that someone might be willing to help a neophyte such as myself. I did read that it's good to have resources in place up front for a project of the type that I hope this will become. But I'm also hoping that now could be as good a time as any to seek a little :help:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hate to be a wet blanket but
The text you give is the libretto in 2 languages and is PD.
And LV policy clearly states that you can only read that text - it would be OK to just do the English Version, or the German version, or both.
But not to add music - you would need to find an online PD score for that

Anne
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

annise wrote: May 6th, 2023, 12:43 am Hate to be a wet blanket but
And LV policy clearly states that you can only read that text - it would be OK to just do the English Version, or the German version, or both.
Hi Anne
There is a DW in progress "A Mystery Play for the nativity of Our Lord" which is working from a spoken archive.org text with the BC adding his own musical arrangements for the carols.
Could something similar be done here?
Alan
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

annise wrote: May 6th, 2023, 12:43 am Hate to be a wet blanket but

Anne
I don't think that you are being a wet blanket at all. The rules are the rules.

A few months ago I had looked at https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Music_%26_Sound_Effects_Rules

Clearly I either misremembered or misunderstood them.

Thank you,
Brian
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

You may have remembered them perfectly well, because the flat "No" refers to incidental music, like adding ambient music to the background of a regular book. We absolutely can add music and sound effects for musical plays and such, so long as we follow some additional rules:
The only exception to the no-music rule is when music is specified in the text. This most commonly occurs when a character in a play or novel breaks into song. In this case, you may sing the song yourself, using a tune that is clearly in the public domain both in the USA and in your own country. (If you prefer not to sing, check with your BC -- it may be OK to simply read the passage without singing. If it is your own solo, it is your choice whether to sing.) Certain projects such as operas and song collections obviously specify music as part of the text, so special rules apply for the music used in those projects (see below).
The "below" to see:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Music_%26_Sound_Effects_Rules#Music_Rules_for_Special_Projects
I think those rules might be what annise refers to, and sources are given for PD music too.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

redrun wrote: May 6th, 2023, 8:47 am You may have remembered them perfectly well, because the flat "No" refers to incidental music, like adding ambient music to the background of a regular book. We absolutely can add music and sound effects for musical plays and such, so long as we follow some additional rules:
The only exception to the no-music rule is when music is specified in the text. This most commonly occurs when a character in a play or novel breaks into song. In this case, you may sing the song yourself, using a tune that is clearly in the public domain both in the USA and in your own country. (If you prefer not to sing, check with your BC -- it may be OK to simply read the passage without singing. If it is your own solo, it is your choice whether to sing.) Certain projects such as operas and song collections obviously specify music as part of the text, so special rules apply for the music used in those projects (see below).
The "below" to see:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Music_%26_Sound_Effects_Rules#Music_Rules_for_Special_Projects
I think those rules might be what annise refers to, and sources are given for PD music too.
Thank you.

I think it fair for me to say that I do have a solo project (I've been thinking of it as a "closed group" called The White Christmas (viewtopic.php?t=94277). That project has been languishing too long and I really do need to move it along. Suffice to say that the author in that case generally provides the lyrics but seldom provides musical arrangement. Most of the hymns are rather famous but some probably aren't sung by many congregations these days. When I launched that other project I researched all of the hymns and included sources at launch for all writers, composers and arrangers to the best of my ability. The author of The White Christmas (Walter Ben Hare) play did include a note in the book to the effect that all of the hymns could be found in Episcopal hymnals [of the era in which the book was written]. For some of the 'lesser known' hymns it seemed that the lyrics had been revised in reprints of hymnals, so I made sure to find what they would have been when the book was written (again to the best of my ability to do so). For that other project I was sourcing hymnary.org mainly because it seemed to me to be well-researched, authoritative and comprehensive. As I see it, whatever I learn from this project could be applied to that one and vice versa.