[POETRY] Anthology of Magazine Verse for 1915, by William Stanley Braithwaite - tg

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

crystalpenny wrote: October 13th, 2023, 4:13 pm Hi Larry -
I've re-uploaded section 104 "Best Poetry... Part 3" because I forgot to mention the author's name in the intro. Fixed now.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/anthologyofmagazineverse1915_104_braithwaite_128kb.mp3
(25:23) 89.1 dB
You haven't PL'd this section yet.

The same omission occurs in section 105, but you've already PL'd that one. I'd like to fix it. Is that OK?

Carolyn

PS And I'll get to work on the last section #106, remembering to include the final section outro!
Well, I guess I missed that, so go ahead and fix 105, and I've downloaded the revised 104.
Our travel has been very full with longer days on our visits, but I should have a little break to catch up on my PL.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
crystalpenny

Post by crystalpenny »

Ok. here is the re-uploaded and fixed section 105

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/anthologyofmagazineverse1915_105_braithwaite_128kb.mp3
(28:04) 89.0 dB

Hopefully both are correct, now. All I did was add the author's name to the intro.
~carolyn
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Both 104 and 105 are PL OK!

I'm amazed at your ability to take what might otherwise be tedious material and make it something engaging to listen to. :clap:
I especially enjoyed the discussion of the Spoon River Anthology.

Thanks again so much for you help with this!
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

rgg28164 wrote: October 9th, 2023, 2:36 pm Here is Section #102...

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/anthologyofmagazineverse1915_102_braithwaite_128kb.mp3
Runtime: 26:48

Thanks!
Very impressive! Again, I found myself enjoying this material with your good reading.
I especially enjoyed his comments about G.K. Chesterton's Poems. I'm sure Chesterton would have some witty, pithy rejoinders.
Then there was the long analysis of Vision of War!

This is PL OK and I'm looking forward to hearing the next section. :)
~ Larry
rgg28164

Post by rgg28164 »

silverquill wrote: October 14th, 2023, 5:45 pm
rgg28164 wrote: October 9th, 2023, 2:36 pm Here is Section #102...

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/anthologyofmagazineverse1915_102_braithwaite_128kb.mp3
Runtime: 26:48

Thanks!
Very impressive! Again, I found myself enjoying this material with your good reading.
I especially enjoyed his comments about G.K. Chesterton's Poems. I'm sure Chesterton would have some witty, pithy rejoinders.
Then there was the long analysis of Vision of War!

This is PL OK and I'm looking forward to hearing the next section. :)
Thank you for the kind words. I very much enjoyed doing those. His reviews are direct and pointed if something annoys him. Then he seems to look for positive aspects to raise and soften the blow.
Thanks again!
Robert
"Wherever your voice is heard or influence felt may there follow greater Kindness, Tolerance and Love"
CuriousEntling

Post by CuriousEntling »

CuriousEntling wrote: October 11th, 2023, 10:31 pm Section 85, The Answer, ready for PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/anthologyofmagazineverse1915_085_braithwaite_128kb.mp3
1:04
Hi Larry! Could I get a PL when you get a chance, please! Thanks!
-- Nicole
Sailing in a general... that way direction.

2023, 2024: Current Reads: Star Trek Voyager Ghost of a Chance, Welcoming Food, QiGong for Treating Common Ailments
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

CuriousEntling wrote: October 21st, 2023, 11:29 am
CuriousEntling wrote: October 11th, 2023, 10:31 pm Section 85, The Answer, ready for PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/anthologyofmagazineverse1915_085_braithwaite_128kb.mp3
1:04
Hi Larry! Could I get a PL when you get a chance, please! Thanks!
Thank you for a nice reading of this poem!

I am, however, asking for a few changes where the gaps/pauses feel too long for the comfort of a listener.

Between the intro and beginning of the narration there are about 4 seconds. :06-:10 1-1 1/2 second would be better.
The same is true for the gap between the end of the poem and the "outro" at over 5 seconds. 0:50-:56 I'd even shorten the pause at 0:44-47 to just one second. These dead spaces are just too long when listening to an audio.

Optional: The volume is near the lower end of our range at just 86.6 So, if you would like to amplify it by about 2 decibels, that would bring it closer to our target of 89 dBs.

Just upload your corrected file under the same name, and post the link and new file length here again so I can give it a quick check.
~ Larry
CuriousEntling

Post by CuriousEntling »

silverquill wrote: October 21st, 2023, 10:17 pm
Between the intro and beginning of the narration there are about 4 seconds. :06-:10 1-1 1/2 second would be better.
The same is true for the gap between the end of the poem and the "outro" at over 5 seconds. 0:50-:56 I'd even shorten the pause at 0:44-47 to just one second. These dead spaces are just too long when listening to an audio.

Optional: The volume is near the lower end of our range at just 86.6 So, if you would like to amplify it by about 2 decibels, that would bring it closer to our target of 89 dBs.

Just upload your corrected file under the same name, and post the link and new file length here again so I can give it a quick check.
:lol: :lol: Yes, those pauses were WAY too long, thank you so much for catching that!!

Have shortened the pauses and upped the gain.

0:56
-- Nicole
Sailing in a general... that way direction.

2023, 2024: Current Reads: Star Trek Voyager Ghost of a Chance, Welcoming Food, QiGong for Treating Common Ailments
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll attempt the final open section, 75.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

And here it is, butchered French and all:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/anthologyofmagazineverse1915_075_braithwaite_128kb.mp3
8:49

I notice the introduction section has a Listen URL but is still marked as Assigned and has no run time. I don't know if that was intentional on your part. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

CuriousEntling wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 11:52 am [
:lol: :lol: Yes, those pauses were WAY too long, thank you so much for catching that!!

Have shortened the pauses and upped the gain.

0:56
Perfect!
Now PL OK

Thanks for working on this, and for the wonderful reading of this little poem. :)
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

TriciaG wrote: October 25th, 2023, 6:49 am And here it is, butchered French and all:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/anthologyofmagazineverse1915_075_braithwaite_128kb.mp3
8:49

I notice the introduction section has a Listen URL but is still marked as Assigned and has no run time. I don't know if that was intentional on your part. :)
Well, thank you, Tricia!
French is fine by me, so glad to mark this PL OK
And, I've fixed the errant listen URL. Thanks for seeing that.

Now that we have finally arrived in California again and getting settled in, I'll get busy formatting those poems we're going to do as collaborative readings
~ Larry
crystalpenny

Post by crystalpenny »

Hi Larry -

Here is section 106
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/anthologyofmagazineverse1915_106_braithwaite_128kb.mp3
(29:06) 89.1 dB

I just want to point out that while I read this section as written per LV protocol, I notice two (possibly three) peculiarities that were probably manuscript errors.

In both cases, a work is listed twice; once as just a line item and again with a supporting paragraph.

They are located at:
9:27 Browning Studies. By Vernon C. Harrington (Richard G. Badger) <--- this one includes a descriptive paragraph
11:11 Browning Studies. By Vernon C. Harrington (Richard G. Badger) <--- this one is just a line item

19:38 Rabindranath Tagore: A Biographical Study. By Ernest Rhys (The Macmillan Company) <--- this one is just a line item
27:58 Rabindranath Tagore: A Biographical Study. By Ernest Rhys (Macmillan Company) <-- this one includes a descriptive paragraph

A third pair of entries is also odd, but not identical so could represent two different books, I guess.
19:47 Rabindranath Tagore: The Man and His Poetry, By Basanta Koomar Roy. With an introduction by Hamilton W. Mabie (Dodd, Mead & Co) <--- just a line item
27:02 Rabindranath Tagore: The Man and His Poetry. By Basanta Koomar Roy. (Dodd, Mead & Co.: $1.25) <-- this one includes a descriptive paragraph.

Just FYI, in case it sounds like I'm repeating myself. Which I am.  :lol:
~carolyn
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

crystalpenny wrote: October 26th, 2023, 8:58 pm Hi Larry -

Here is section 106
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/anthologyofmagazineverse1915_106_braithwaite_128kb.mp3
(29:06) 89.1 dB

I just want to point out that while I read this section as written per LV protocol, I notice two (possibly three) peculiarities that were probably manuscript errors.

In both cases, a work is listed twice; once as just a line item and again with a supporting paragraph.

They are located at:
9:27 Browning Studies. By Vernon C. Harrington (Richard G. Badger) <--- this one includes a descriptive paragraph
11:11 Browning Studies. By Vernon C. Harrington (Richard G. Badger) <--- this one is just a line item

19:38 Rabindranath Tagore: A Biographical Study. By Ernest Rhys (The Macmillan Company) <--- this one is just a line item
27:58 Rabindranath Tagore: A Biographical Study. By Ernest Rhys (Macmillan Company) <-- this one includes a descriptive paragraph

A third pair of entries is also odd, but not identical so could represent two different books, I guess.
19:47 Rabindranath Tagore: The Man and His Poetry, By Basanta Koomar Roy. With an introduction by Hamilton W. Mabie (Dodd, Mead & Co) <--- just a line item
27:02 Rabindranath Tagore: The Man and His Poetry. By Basanta Koomar Roy. (Dodd, Mead & Co.: $1.25) <-- this one includes a descriptive paragraph.

Just FYI, in case it sounds like I'm repeating myself. Which I am.  :lol:
Interesting. I'll take a look. It may just be a peculiarity of how the author is listing these. But, it's good to read them "as is."
I'll have a PL for this soon!

Thank you so much!
~ Larry
oogiesragdoll

Post by oogiesragdoll »

Question for section 74:
The sonnets are numbered, do you just want me to read the number or say "sonnet #" for each one?