**STORY TIME: What do you currently do for a living??**

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
MissJennyVoices

Post by MissJennyVoices »

Hey, All! I'm bored at work so I thought I'd start a fun thread to learn more about you.

I'll go first. I am an Optician currently and I do not enjoy it very much. That's just one of the reasons that I'm looking to get into Voiceover.

There are many reasons that I don't like my job and I'm happy to share them but I don't want to spend the entire post complaining about my job and you don't want to read that, so I'm moving on.

My dream job would be to be the voice of an animated character. I think that would be so much fun. Since I'm a little too old & broke to pay for voice acting lessons (being honest), I'm looking at narrating books to feed my craving and potentially make some side income at it. I had no idea, until recently, that it was an option to do without expensive training or acting experience.

So what do you currently do for a living?? Are you working your dream job?? Give me all the tea - I've got 2.5 more hours and nothing to do.
8-) Jenny 8-)
MissJennyVoices

"You’re never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book & read to a child." --Dr. Seuss
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I suspect many of us are retired.

But I will say that as a young man I worked summers as a stable hand. I shoveled a lot. A lot.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I live off my husband. :lol:

That's partly true. I am a very-part-time church secretary and very-VERY-part-time assistant to a lady who owns a few commercial rental properties. Now that she's moved to where her kids are and has Alzheimer's, the kids are doing most of the work. I deposit the rent checks, scan and email any important documents that come in the mail, and keep Quickbooks up to date. They do pretty much everything else nowadays.

For no pay, we're the church treasurers, HR, audio/visual team, and a few other hats. For fun I'm in an a cappella singing group.

In nice weather, I bicycle (drop handlebars, 25-30 km on a regular ride, aiming to do the 50 k route at a charity event this August). Hubby takes his out for at least 100 km, up to 250 km when he's feeling REALLY ambitious. Yes, all in one day, on one ride.

We also geocache on occasion.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: April 18th, 2023, 1:47 pm

In nice weather, I bicycle (drop handlebars, 25-30 km on a regular ride, aiming to do the 50 k route at a charity event this August). Hubby takes his out for at least 100 km, up to 250 km when he's feeling REALLY ambitious. Yes, all in one day, on one ride.
Yes, those electric bicycles are great! (Wink.)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ha! Nope - all human power. :lol:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
txphred

Post by txphred »

I am one of retired.

Taking care of Daddy (he's getting up towards a hundred years old) and working on our old house is a full time job. I still work on my art at least a few hours every day. Several hours a week are devoted to research on the US Federal Executive & Bureaucracy. I go to Mass when I can.

And of course I spend some time volunteering for LibriVox.

After years and years of working long hours nearly every day; it's great to have freedom. It's an honor to care for my father.

txphred
Fred
MissJennyVoices

txphred wrote: April 18th, 2023, 2:57 pm I am one of retired.

Taking care of Daddy (he's getting up towards a hundred years old) and working on our old house is a full time job. I still work on my art at least a few hours every day. Several hours a week are devoted to research on the US Federal Executive & Bureaucracy. I go to Mass when I can.

And of course I spend some time volunteering for LibriVox.

After years and years of working long hours nearly every day; it's great to have freedom. It's an honor to care for my father.

txphred
Fred
Are you sure you are retired?? You sound busier than me! Its great that you get to take care of your father - my parents are in their 70s now and just bought a one-level house that will suit them better as they age. I know they sure do enjoy their freedom.
8-) Jenny 8-)
MissJennyVoices

"You’re never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book & read to a child." --Dr. Seuss
MissJennyVoices

Sounds like I should have asked what you used to do before you retired LOL
8-) Jenny 8-)
MissJennyVoices

Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

Not retired yet, but discussing it with my wife, who will probably retire, or at least cut back in a year or two.

I have worked in IT at a medical facility for over 40 years. I still enjoy my job, and the people I get to interact with. I would like more time to spend on my outside interests, so will probably step down or cut back in a few years.
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
My current Solo project A Spoiler of Men by Richard Marsh
One role needed to complete the Dramatic Reading of The Leader by Murray Leinster, help us finish this project!
zachh

Post by zachh »

I'm currently self-employed building banjos, fiddles, guitars, and other stringed instruments. I've only been full time at this for less than a year, but I've been working up to it gradually since 2004. From age 15 to 36 I was a full time live-in volunteer at a charitable organization/farm, and built instruments and did other odd jobs like building twig furniture, parting out dead 1940s farm tractors, etc in my free time to make money for the things I needed. The farm provided room and board and some use of a car. Last year I repaired a house that had been abandoned for 6 years that I bought from a tax auction, and then moved up here at the end of August. Now I have a couple of volunteer activities in Tupper Lake, at a thrift store and at a natural history museum, but no income earning work other than building instruments.

It's been a fun life, and will likely be even more fun now that I'm up here in the mountains where I can take time more often during the nice weather to hike, bicycle and paddle. I used to bike up to the Adirondacks for a week each August from 2009 to 2019. The last 6 of those trips I hauled a wood strip canoe on a trailer behind my bike, which opened up lots of other exploration possibilities. My longest day on the bike was 129 miles with the canoe and my camping gear. It took me from 6 AM to 7 PM, and that was with a tailwind on the way up in 2019. If the weather hadn't been so cooperative I wouldn't have made it that far in one day. I would usually divide the trip back and try to have the last day be no more than 80 miles since I would have no control over the weather for that leg of the trip. If I'm doing my math right 250 km is 150 miles, and I can't imagine doing that all in one day.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I work at a vocational program for adults with special needs. It's a wonderful place. Our 80 or so Citizens work 4 days a week, making pottery, jewelry, handmade cards, baking pies, and more. They earn a paycheck every two weeks. We also have a small but growing residential program. We have a cafe and gift shop where the Citizens work in shifts and where we sell the things they make. It absolutely is my dream job, although it has its downsides, as any job will. I've been working there for about 3 and a half years, and volunteered for a few years before that.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Call center agent. Strangely enough, working from home since the moment COVID hit. The pandemic may be over but we still work remotely.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
MissJennyVoices

Piotrek81 wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 3:11 am Call center agent. Strangely enough, working from home since the moment COVID hit. The pandemic may be over but we still work remotely.
Wow! I worked in a call center at the start of the pandemic but we were considered essential so we only worked from home for two weeks at a time if there was an exposure. I liked working from home but probably only because it was a novelty. My best friend works from home and loves it though. She loves the "commute" from bed to desk - lol
8-) Jenny 8-)
MissJennyVoices

pumpkibee

Post by pumpkibee »

I do commission based artwork for people, however, I have a partner who works at Amazon who is the main breadwinner of the household! :lol:
I'm just a stay at home cat-mom who draws for people who pay me lol

We both met over our shared interest (and desire to potentially pursue it as a job) in voice acting and general voice over work, which is the main reason why I'm here, because I really love voice acting and whatnot and figured a good way to share my love for it would be through reading stories, since I love reading stories to people, too!
~pumpkibee~
:9: Wow, I'm excited to be here! Idk what to put in a signature yet, but maybe one day I'll figure it out. :9: