How to view Gutenberg source images?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

Does anyone know how I can see the original scans from which Gutenberg texts are OCR'd and transcribed? My current solo book has so many *actual/obvious* errors that I want to see where the error lies. Maybe the author did a poor job of proof-reading himself, maybe the editor overlooked things, maybe the scanned images were so mangled that it was difficult to discern, maybe the PGDP proof-readers missed something. In any case, I want to know before I go submitting all these "errors" to PGDP, since (i think) if they're in the original then they're technically not considered errors and won't be corrected.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Gutenberg doesn't store the source images. If the transcription shows the publisher and publication year, you might be able to search for it on the usual sites (Archive, Hathi, Google Books).

Or I think you can search for the publisher, etc. of the edition used here: https://inprogress.pglaf.org/
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

TriciaG wrote: April 7th, 2023, 6:14 pm Gutenberg doesn't store the source images. If the transcription shows the publisher and publication year, you might be able to search for it on the usual sites (Archive, Hathi, Google Books).

Or I think you can search for the publisher, etc. of the edition used here: https://inprogress.pglaf.org/
Well I guess it's a fail for this title. Hathitrust doesn't have the title, and both Google Books and Archive are from the Gutenberg source.
My previous searches yielded similar results so I think the original is lost (or maybe in someone's private collection)
Oh well.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If you google amazing stories magazine october 1948 there are a number of copies for sale price range seems to $25 to about $150. I know some members have brought things and scanned them.
Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

TriciaG wrote: April 8th, 2023, 8:02 am Amazing Stories, October 1948?
https://archive.org/details/Amazing_Stories_v22n10_1948-10_cape1736/mode/2up
HA wow! Thanks for that. I should have though to search that way also! Next time, perhaps.

Anyway, on a cursory comparison of the scanned Amazing Stories version and the Gutenberg version, it looks like the errors are all source errors. Someone didn't do their job properly back in 1948. I think I can stop fretting over every syllable now. If I "word-perfect"ed this recording, I would sound like a nincompoop. (eg: "he had addressed his father with the authority of of a commander")
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Well you could also have said (eg: "he had addressed his father with the authority of (slight pause to think of a good thing to say) of a commander") where the italics are not read :D.
I thought when you said you'd searched Archive you'd have realised that you were looking for a magazine :D :oops:

Anne
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

At the top of GP pages there are credits give such as: Credits: Produced by Laura Natal Rodrigues at Free Literature (Images
generously made available by Hathi Trust.) Often Archive.org is mentioned, or a particular library. That can give you a clue to where to look if it is an online source.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

And, despite "word-perfect", I think you can still correct obvious errors; you could mention doing this in your summary, if you like.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Yes, obvious typographical or OCR errors can be corrected. I do like to confirm with the scan if possible.
Jo