ChatGPT, and GPT-4, and AI in our futures.

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

msfry wrote: April 18th, 2023, 3:06 pm My voice is mine. Are there no legal protections about copying voices? And attributing fake speeches to someone who didn't say it? That's one place where AI will get into big trouble, and keep lawyers fat and happy.
Legal (Though, not a lawyer!)

For most folks in the US, there're only a few instances where copying your voice would get someone in trouble. Laws against fraud, libel and slander can apply to intentional deception by fake audio and video, just as they can apply to a forged signature or false statements with malicious intent. But that intent is usually a key part. If it's just a voice that happens to sound like you, then there's no problem. If it's supposed to be you, that's where these laws come in.

You may have more luck in future using privacy law to argue against processing of your specific voice by any company within that law's jurisdiction. A few US states have laws against storing and processing biometric data of individuals resident in that state, as also the EU has. Enforcement of those is still very much up in the air, though, and companies again argue that they're learning from your voice, but not (usually) directly copying it, nor using it to track or identify you.

Philosophical (Anybody met a "real philosopher" lately? It's not my universe, I only live here!)

I think that the mission may shrink over time, but is unlikely to disappear. Even if these "AI" tools rivaled the best human performances, and had access to every work, the mission only disappears once everyone has such a tool.

The hobby will certainly continue as an art, so long as humans have both verbal and written communication. I'd love to see "AI" that can read a messy scan of any book, and render it into a fully acted scene of human drama, but to mirror your comment: my metaphorical, personal voice is mine. It belongs to me, and I'm thrilled to share it - and that's the hobby to me. Using one voice in service of the other.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
msfry

Post by msfry »

I've listened to a lot of voices over the years, in many genres, and never heard two voices that sounded alike -- not even close. All were completely recognizable -- except two on LV who were kind of close, and I won't mention those names.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Is it true that Zoom has changed their TOS recently to allow them to use your voice for future AI?
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

lightcrystal wrote: April 19th, 2023, 1:35 am Is it true that Zoom has changed their TOS recently to allow them to use your voice for future AI?
Yes.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Really! Does MS Teams have the same thing? :hmm:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
msfry

Post by msfry »

lightcrystal wrote: April 19th, 2023, 1:35 am Is it true that Zoom has changed their TOS recently to allow them to use your voice for future AI?
Does this mean they listen in on our zoom sessions? Or just when you join in one of their recorded sessions? If the former, it's a game changer for me.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

msfry wrote: April 19th, 2023, 8:04 am
Does this mean they listen in on our zoom sessions? Or just when you join in one of their recorded sessions? If the former, it's a game changer for me.
From Zoom's Privacy Policy:
Intelligent Features: Zoom provides intelligent features and products, such as Zoom IQ or other tools to recommend chat, email or other content, that may use artificial intelligence, machine learning, or other technology to analyze and process your content and personal data to develop, provide and improve intelligent features and products. (Emphasis added)
Yep. If they're using it to make changes to ("develop" and "improve") the tools described, that means they're feeding it the contents of meetings, and reserve the right to use yours. It's unclear whether this is on for everyone by default, nor whether you can opt out of it.

If you'd like to discuss alternatives for the First Mondays Zoom meetings, I believe someone mentioned Jitsi Meet as one option, though it doesn't include all the bells and whistles of Zoom. I should note that if the videos are publicly available, anyone can use them for AI learning. But knowing that is different from giving permission, particularly since those sessions are not released to the public domain, as our books and plays are.

TriciaG wrote: April 19th, 2023, 5:46 am Really! Does MS Teams have the same thing? :hmm:
For Microsoft Teams, I don't see an answer on their Privacy page... and the Online Services Terms page they link to seems to have moved. They have older marketing touting "AI-powered" features, but it's possible they don't feed it new data to learn from. The newer stuff seems to be part of a paid subscription - either in Teams Premium, or branded as "Copilot". Whether it feeds our data into those tools is again not clear to me.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
msfry

Post by msfry »

redrun wrote: April 19th, 2023, 8:45 am
Reading through this tomb, it says there is a way for a user to turn off access but doesn't say how. I sent them an email asking how, saying how I consider our privacy a right and a necessity.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: April 19th, 2023, 9:51 am
redrun wrote: April 19th, 2023, 8:45 am
Reading through this tomb, it says there is a way for a user to turn off access but doesn't say how. I sent them an email asking how, saying how I consider our privacy a right and a necessity.
Did you contact them through this page? https://privacyportal.onetrust.com/webform/65962359-ef0d-4399-9db4-572d06de08aa/f277f9f7-bfee-4233-815e-80e290139bc2
msfry

Post by msfry »

No, I couldn't figure how to answer the first asterisked question, *I am a . . . . .
So I just sent them an email to privacy@ and got a form letter back promising to review my concerns.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Here is Zoom's reply (red is my emphasis):

Apr 19, 2023, 14:27 CDT
Hello,

Thank you for contacting the Zoom Privacy Team.

Zoom employees do not access meeting, webinar, messaging or email content (specifically, audio, video, files, in-meeting whiteboards, messaging or email contents), or any content generated or shared as part of other collaborative features (such as out-of-meeting whiteboards), unless authorized by an account owner, or as required for legal, safety, or security. For more information on how Zoom uses personal data and the personal data we collect please see section "How Do We Use Personal Data" and "What Personal Data Do We Receive " in Zoom's Privacy Statement.

Kind Regards,
The Zoom Privacy Team

And if I'm not satisfied, please feel free to contact them again. blah blah
This sounds computer generated to me, certainly canned, impersonal. It does not answer what I asked: how to turn off Zoom's access to our sessions, and raises questions and red flags. So, employees don't access stuff, but I presume machines can. And the "unless required for" clause leaves a big gaping hole in their ability to access whatever they want.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

One trap for the unwary with TOS is that to hide stuff the TOS will have obscure links to another TOS to another...

I left Facebook for good in 2010 because their TOS allowed any of your photos to be used for marketing without telling you; you could end up on a physical or virtual billboard.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

annise wrote: April 5th, 2023, 4:12 pm How about discovering an alien race or an alien race discovering us? History shows that we either attack them or they attack us.
you mean to say when humans meet each other. Haven't had a war of the worlds as yet, that was some amazing movie. the people were way scary.

AI will kill most people, that is what people do with the weapons they create. There are no three laws except in the books and movies, in real life, drones slaughter civilians according to the governments which operate said drones, no reason that is going to change.

People will be unemployable. rich people, according to a 10 second internet search for scientific studies, have impoverished morals, so AI will continue to replace everyone and everyone will starve, except the 1%, hey isn't that exactly what is happening now with fabulous food inflation ?

Our only hope is that the next big 'war on.....' like 'war on drugs' or 'war on terror' is actually a 'war on aliens' because if past results of 'wars on....' are anything to go by, we shall be swamped by alien races and beings everywhere. way cool.

I think my point i was trying to make, but go outrageously distracted, was that we have actually met real aliens, lots of them, they are the animals and life all around us. We do not have much biology in common with elephants and squid, but they are very intelligent. They have no interest in us. There is life everywhere in the universe and it's all going about it's day to day life with a healthy dis-interest in our existence.

So far AI has helped rich get richer, liars lie more, killers kill more, exploiters exploit more, scammers scam, it's done nothing for me or you. Expect more of the same.
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

msfry wrote: April 19th, 2023, 12:43 pm unless authorized by an account owner, or as required for legal, safety, or security.
I am certian here that the act of registration is actually that authorization. your continued use is authorising them., you agree to the terms of service, which includes authorizing them. afaik. would it not be so, ask them perhaps ?
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

msfry wrote: April 18th, 2023, 3:06 pm My voice is mine. Are there no legal protections about copying voices? [...] That's one place where AI will get into big trouble, and keep lawyers fat and happy.
the rules will be made up to benefit the rich and everyone poor will be told and conditioned to think that it's the right way. (a.k.a. it's not alright for you to be a pirate, but it's OK for youtube to be the worlds largest pirate site)

As for your voice, I was looking at installing AI on my laptop to read out loud what I type, but installing software is sometimes a pain in the petunias, so I haven't yet. I was thinking that the AI could just be trained with a librivox recording of someone with a nice voice. You only need about 30 seconds of reading total, and public domain is public domain, it's pretty clear.