[SOLO] In the Heart of the Rockies: A Story of Adventure in Colorado by G.A. Henty - rap

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
acamerer

Post by acamerer »

In the Heart of the Rockies, by G. A. Henty (1832 - 1902)
PREFACE
MY DEAR LADS,
Until comparatively lately that portion of the United States in which I have laid this story was wholly unexplored. The marvellous canyons of the Colorado River extend through a country absolutely bare and waterless, and save the tales told by a few hunters or gold-seekers who, pressed by Indians, made the descent of some of them, but little was known regarding this region. It was not until 1869 that a thorough exploration of the canyons was made by a government expedition under the command of Major Powell. This expedition passed through the whole of the canyons, from those high up on the Green River to the point where the Colorado issues out on to the plains. Four years were occupied by the party in making a detailed survey of the course of the main river and its tributaries. These explorations took place some eight or nine years after the date of my story. The country in which the Big Wind River has its source, and the mountain chains contained in it, were almost unknown until, after the completion of the railway to California, the United States government was forced to send an expedition into it to punish the Indians for their raids upon settlers in the plains. For details of the geography and scenery I have relied upon the narrative of Mr. Baillie-Grohman, who paid several visits to the country in 1878 and the following years in quest of sport, and was the first white man to penetrate the recesses of the higher mountains. At that time the Indians had almost entirely deserted the country. For the details of the dangers and difficulties of the passage through the canyons I am indebted to the official report of Major Powell, published by the United States government.

Yours sincerely,

G. A. HENTY. (Summary by G. A. HENTY)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8670

Target completion date: 2023-09-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure
Keywords that describe the book: exploration, adventure, Colorado, rockies
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter # of In the Heart of the Rockies. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "In the Heart of the Rockies, by G. A. Henty. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of In the Heart of the Rockies, by G. A. Henty. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of In the Heart of the Rockies, by G. A. Henty."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: intheheartoftherockies_##_henty_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. intheheartoftherockies_01_henty_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by acamerer on April 3rd, 2023, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

It seems that the template generator is a little fragile recently. There are a few common reasons for seeing this at the moment, though it should eventually be more robust:

1. Some of the fields allow numbers, but NOT any punctuation we normally use for, say, dates. Use numbers only, and no dashes, dots, or slashes.

2. Accented or international characters, such as the " 'n' with an added squiggle" used in Spanish, or letters with dots above them, trip up the generator too. Probably not the issue this time, but worth checking.

3. The author information has to match an author in the database. Since Henty is already in the database, typing "Henty" in the field for "Last Name" of author should bring him up. Click the entry for "G. A. Henty", and be sure you don't change any other fields in the author information section. Henty wrote in English, so you can 'x' out the box for translator information.

This is all from discussion in threads similar to this:
viewtopic.php?t=97319
If my suggestions don't help, feel free to follow up there with any additional information.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
acamerer

Post by acamerer »

Redrun, thanks for the clues! The tilde n's were the likely culprit as you suggested!
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

I can DPL for you :)
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
acamerer

Post by acamerer »

Great, thank you!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Alan, let me MC this project. I'll go set you up with a Magic Window, and post again in a bit.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Magic Window is in place!

To gain access to it, you'll need to set up a password, which you can then also use for the Uploader too (forumname + Magic Window password)

Here's all you need to know about Magic Windows: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Start with "Accessing the System – First Time Login" to set up your password.

In the Magic Window, basically, you fill in the section titles, and each time you upload a recording, you fill in the file duration, add the link from the uploader, and mark the section "Ready for PL". Also post in the thread when you upload files, so that any project activity is recorded. Thanks!

It's a lot of info, please ask if anything is unclear!

Elsie has been added as your proof listener. Have fun with your project! :clap:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Just moved to Going Solo and pmed Alan with the link!
acamerer

Post by acamerer »

Rapunzelina,
Thanks so much for the setup! I'm starting reading today and will keep you updated. I've been on vacation so just getting back to the book.
Looking forward to the project!
Alan
acamerer

Post by acamerer »

Will read about the Magic window, thanks.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Great! Any questions, just ask :D
acamerer

Post by acamerer »

Hello Elsie and Rapunzelina!
I recorded and posted the Preface of the book! Here's the link from the upload screen:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/intheheartoftherockies_preface_henty_128kb.mp3
2m20s length. Hope I completed the Magic Window steps correctly.

This will be a good test of the recording setup I've chosen, I think.
It passed the Checker software validation.
Thanks again for your assistance.
Looking forward to continuing on...
Alan
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

acamerer wrote: April 8th, 2023, 5:41 pm Hello Elsie and Rapunzelina!
I recorded and posted the Preface of the book! Here's the link from the upload screen:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/intheheartoftherockies_preface_henty_128kb.mp3
2m20s length. Hope I completed the Magic Window steps correctly.

This will be a good test of the recording setup I've chosen, I think.
It passed the Checker software validation.
Thanks again for your assistance.
Looking forward to continuing on...
Alan
Good job! You filled out the MW correctly, and the Preface is PL OK :thumbs:
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
acamerer

Post by acamerer »

Great news! Thanks.
acamerer

Post by acamerer »

Hello! After some delay, I've finished Chapter 1: Tom's Choice. Here's the upload link:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/intheheartoftherockies_01_henty_128kb.mp3
30m 52s
Uploaded to the magic window and ready for PL.
Thank you for proofing!
Alan