Dutch professional audiobook editor wanting to utilize his bilinguality!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
LaurensDG

Post by LaurensDG »

Hi!

My name is Laurens. I am a Dutch conservatory graduate and manage my own company by editing, postprocessing and labeling audiobooks.
I would like to expand my horizon and diversify my portfolio by processing audiobooks in languages I consider myself a (at the least reasonably well) speaker of.
It feels like a waste not to utilize the fact that I speak fluently Dutch, English and Frisian (second language of the Netherlands) and am capable of understanding and conversing in German, French, Spanish and Swedish. However, English, German or Frisian audiobookproducers have no way of knowing about my capabilities! So in order to create a win/win situation for both the people of Librivox and myself, I would like to start editing books in English!

I would be more than happy to sound-design, clean up, or master monologue as well (I have a degree in audioproduction), but my main focus is on the editing part of the audiobook production process. If anyone would like some help with their books, I would be more than honored to help you out!

Thank you for taking the time to read this. All the best and hopefully I will be hearing from some of you!
Cheers!

Laurens
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Hi, Laurens!

You probably find most of your work on the Proof Listeners or Editors Wanted forum, although I honestly haven’t seen much of a request for editing there.

Other possible options include searching the forum to see who might be posting about it in their individual threads.

You might also consider participating in the current one-act play collection viewtopic.php?t=96958. As a coordinator for a one-act play, you stitch all the parts from the actors together.

Welcome!
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi there and welcome to LV!

Just in case you're up for reading too, we've been trying for years to get the last two (male) roles filled in this Dutch play:
viewtopic.php?t=56088

;-)

Have fun on here!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

LaurensDG wrote: March 29th, 2023, 2:48 pm I would be more than happy to sound-design, clean up, or master monologue as well (I have a degree in audioproduction), but my main focus is on the editing part of the audiobook production process. If anyone would like some help with their books, I would be more than honored to help you out!
Hi Laurens!
It's not common on Librivox that editors polish the readers' recordings, but that doesn't mean at all that it's unwelcome!
The problem would be in finding readers who would benefit of your offer.
I bet a lot of people would be happy to have this cumbersome task off their hands though. Maybe you could pick a few open projects that are just starting out and offer your help early in the thread?
Mayyyybe the project coordinator could even write your offer into the first post in the thread so that everyone sees it. I haven't seen that anywhere yet, but that's what seems the best to me so as to have readers actually become aware of this option.
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen: