Urodivoi

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Greetings! Urodivoi is the English spelling of the Russian word for "Fools for Christ" Any idea how I might pronounce this? Thank you!

Peace be with you,
Sister
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Something like you-ROW-de-vii
If you need plural, it is you-ROW-de-vi-ye
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

chulsky wrote: March 28th, 2023, 11:01 am Something like you-ROW-de-vii
If you need plural, it is you-ROW-de-vi-ye
Thank you! I'll give it a try.

Peace be with you,
Sister
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

I can't help with this, but did you know that Google Translate has a pronunciation feature for many languages? It's the little loudspeaker icon at the bottom of the tet entry box.
I wouldn't trust it 100%, but it's a start.
There, I entered this word - Google also has a feature where it will transcribe Latin-characters words into Cyrillic, as long as you use the proper Latin spelling.
This is what I got:
https://translate.google.de/?sl=ru&tl=en&text=%D1%83%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B9%20&op=translate
It even suggested a translation, but that one's is quite different from the one you found - "ugly". To my knowledge, even in Russian, "Christ" sounds similar to how it doesin other languages: Иисус Христос, "Iisus Khristos". So, "fools for Christ" must be a rather liberal translation - maybe the Russian name for that group is "the ugly ones"?
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen:
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

SowasVon wrote: March 28th, 2023, 12:32 pm I can't help with this, but did you know that Google Translate has a pronunciation feature for many languages?
Good suggestion, copy/paste "юродивый" for that , I am not sure this Latin spelling would work.

It even suggested a translation, but that one's is quite different from the one you found - "ugly"...
... "fools for Christ" must be a rather liberal translation - maybe the Russian name for that group is "the ugly ones"?
"ugly" is "уродливый", a different word, even if sounds somewhat similar. "Fools for Christ" is correct, here is the Wikipedia article in Eng.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foolishness_for_Christ
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

chulsky wrote: March 28th, 2023, 2:10 pm "ugly" is "уродливый", a different word, even if sounds somewhat similar. "Fools for Christ" is correct, here is the Wikipedia article in Eng.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foolishness_for_Christ
Alright, guess it's good that you do know the language! I just pasted "urodivoi" and "urodivoy" (transliterated Russian words seem to often end in -oy) into the text box and Google made "уродливый" out of both.
"юродивый" gets transcribed as "yurodivyy". Maybe OP's text uses different rules of transcription than Google.
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen: