[COMPLETE] Ladies Whose Bright Eyes, by Ford Madox Ford - loa

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

garyday wrote: November 14th, 2023, 9:32 am Section 11 has been uploaded
https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/ladieswhosebrighteyes_11_Ford_128kb.mp3
Hi garyday,

please be careful with the file name, only lower case letters are allowed. Nothing to change on your side, I will fix it in the MW and in the file system.
Please also specify the length of the recording.
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 2 Rollen frei
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you for section 11, garyday! I try to have recordings PL'd within a day or so, but just to let you know, I've had a lot of PLing come in lately, so it will probably be the end of Thursday before I can listen to yours.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you for fixing the filename, Bernd!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

garyday wrote: November 14th, 2023, 9:32 am Section 11 has been uploaded
https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/ladieswhosebrighteyes_11_Ford_128kb.mp3
Thanks again for this section, and thank you for your patience! I enjoyed your clear and measured reading style. I noticed that starting at 17:43 to the end, the audio has a sort of distorted sound, maybe because of a problem with the mic. I wanted to ask if you wouldn't mind recording that part of the chapter again once you've pinpointed what's causing the distortion. I'm sorry to ask because I understand how much work goes into recording and editing.

If needed, the Audacity problem thread is a great place to ask about what might be causing the sound issue. The first 17:40 minutes of the recording sound great, so if you can replicate the setup you had while recording that part, that might take care of it.

Another thing I wanted to mention is that I noticed in Checker that the bit rate of the recording is 81 kbps and is variable instead of constant. If you're using Audacity, you can fix the bit rate by configuring your settings in Audacity and then exporting the file again. After that, your settings should be saved and you won't have to worry about this step for future recordings unless you download Audacity again.

I'll be happy to help if you have any questions!

Sarah
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Could I jump in for section 12, please? I forget my opinion of this book/author, so I'll go with something short to re-acquaint myself. I always like getting that 'special' PL review to keep me honest in my narration (rather than 'creative', as sometimes happens :wink: )

Thanks,
Brize
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

BrizeCrize wrote: November 27th, 2023, 12:21 pm Could I jump in for section 12, please? I forget my opinion of this book/author, so I'll go with something short to re-acquaint myself. I always like getting that 'special' PL review to keep me honest in my narration (rather than 'creative', as sometimes happens :wink: )

Thanks,
Brize
By all means! Thank you for claiming!

Sarah
garyday

Post by garyday »

Toby Tyler. Oh Money Money. Deerbrook. The Italian. The Minister's Wooing. The Poetry of South Africa by Alexander Wilmot, The Girls of St. Cyprians. Ladies Whose Bright Eyes.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you, garyday! I wasn't able to give section 11 a listen today, but I should be done by tomorrow, or Thursday at the latest.

Sarah
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Section 12, Part2, Chapter 3, enclosed, in 13:44:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/adieswhosebrighteyes_12_ford_128kb.mp3

Whoa! Still can't remember my opinion of this writer, but no complaints over want of action in this section! When half the terrified 'bad guys' dropped the log on the other half, pinning them, I think I may have howled! (The angry horse tearing the boss culprit to bits may have been a little much, but that's what you get in action movies!) Allow me to continue on to section 13, please, just to see what happens next.

Thank you,
Brize
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

BrizeCrize wrote: November 29th, 2023, 11:23 am Section 12, Part2, Chapter 3, enclosed, in 13:44:

Whoa! Still can't remember my opinion of this writer, but no complaints over want of action in this section! When half the terrified 'bad guys' dropped the log on the other half, pinning them, I think I may have howled! (The angry horse tearing the boss culprit to bits may have been a little much, but that's what you get in action movies!) Allow me to continue on to section 13, please, just to see what happens next.

Thank you,
Brize
Thank you! I've been catching up on PLing this week, so I won't be able to give section 12 a listen today, but with luck, I should be done tomorrow. It's been a while since I read the later edition of this book, so I don't remember much of that scene. Looks like I'm in for some entertainment!

In the meantime, section 13 is all yours. Thank you for claiming!

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

garyday wrote: November 28th, 2023, 1:17 pm Hopefully this version is better!
https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/ladieswhosebrighteyes_11_ford_128kb.mp3
duration 39:16
Thanks for your patience while I've been catching up on PLing, and thank you so much for re-recording that part of the chapter! The audio sounds great. I have just a few PL notes:

- At 1:11, "than the Earl had been fined no less than a sum of £6000," I hear "than the Earl had been fined no less a sum of £6000"
- At 13:37, "that infested the Plain," you say "that they infested the Plain"
- At 15:31, could you edit out the "did anything more good-naturedly" before "did anything more than good-naturedly ignore the Lady Blanche"?
- At 21:18, after "on their side of her," could you shorten the silence before "so that they might have some share"?
- At 29:05, "And whilst the second course was being brought," I hear "And whilst the second course was being bought"
- At the very end, could you add a few more seconds of silence so that there are about five seconds total?

Something that you don't need to edit in this recording, but that I wanted to mention for future recordings, is that I'm hearing popping plosives from time to time. Here are some tips on adjusting your recording setup that might help reduce those sounds.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

BrizeCrize wrote: November 29th, 2023, 11:23 am Section 12, Part2, Chapter 3, enclosed, in 13:44:

Thank you,
Brize
Thanks again for section 12! It's nicely done, as always. I have just two notes:

- At 1:44, "and when they had dragged the tree trunk so that its butt end was within a few feet of the gate," you say "and when they had dragged the tree trunk so that its butt was within a few feet of the gate"
- Could you add an "l" at the beginning of the filename?

That horse scene was indeed rather graphic! :shock:

Sarah
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Scarbo wrote: November 30th, 2023, 6:38 pm
Thanks again for section 12! It's nicely done, as always. I have just two notes:

- At 1:44, "and when they had dragged the tree trunk so that its butt end was within a few feet of the gate," you say "and when they had dragged the tree trunk so that its butt was within a few feet of the gate"
- Could you add an "l" at the beginning of the filename?

That horse scene was indeed rather graphic! :shock:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/ladieswhosebrighteyes_12_ford_128kb.mp3

I guess it takes about a second to say 'end', as 13:45 is where we sit now after I butted a 'butt end' in where 'butt' was. And yes, that's the second time I've truncated a filename in the last few weeks...although 'l' IS a tough one for older eyes. Thanks for the fast turnaround...13 is gonna be a little more time consuming I have determined.

Thanks,
Brize
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

BrizeCrize wrote: December 1st, 2023, 10:54 am https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/ladieswhosebrighteyes_12_ford_128kb.mp3

I guess it takes about a second to say 'end', as 13:45 is where we sit now after I butted a 'butt end' in where 'butt' was. And yes, that's the second time I've truncated a filename in the last few weeks...although 'l' IS a tough one for older eyes. Thanks for the fast turnaround...13 is gonna be a little more time consuming I have determined.

Thanks,
Brize
PL OK! Thank you! Yes, that "l" is easy to miss.

Sarah
garyday

Post by garyday »

Toby Tyler. Oh Money Money. Deerbrook. The Italian. The Minister's Wooing. The Poetry of South Africa by Alexander Wilmot, The Girls of St. Cyprians. Ladies Whose Bright Eyes.