[COMPLETE] Ladies Whose Bright Eyes, by Ford Madox Ford - loa

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Section 13, part 2, Chapter 4, attached, in 42:12:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/ladieswhosebrighteyes_13_ford_128kb.mp3

NOW I remember my thoughts on this writer: in a word....he might be a little 'wordy'. I know that's a vague and subjective term, and if I had read the whole book up to this point the importance of each word might be more apparent. But I know I drifted several times into that 'yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever' attitude, perhaps revealing more about my impatient nature than the quality of the work. Anyway, good to get this lo-o-o-ong chapter down. I may double back later, but I noticed one of my childhood heroes in the queue, so I'd better check that out!

Thanks you,
Brize
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

garyday wrote: December 6th, 2023, 7:17 am Hi

The updates are now done
https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/ladieswhosebrighteyes_11_ford_128kb.mp3
duration 39:18
PL OK! Thank you!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you for section 13, Brize! I hope to have it PL'd by the end of tomorrow.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

BrizeCrize wrote: December 6th, 2023, 8:03 am Section 13, part 2, Chapter 4, attached, in 42:12:

NOW I remember my thoughts on this writer: in a word....he might be a little 'wordy'. I know that's a vague and subjective term, and if I had read the whole book up to this point the importance of each word might be more apparent. But I know I drifted several times into that 'yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever' attitude, perhaps revealing more about my impatient nature than the quality of the work. Anyway, good to get this lo-o-o-ong chapter down. I may double back later, but I noticed one of my childhood heroes in the queue, so I'd better check that out!

Thanks you,
Brize
Thanks again for section 13! Nicely done, as always. I have just a few notes:

- At 23:41, "so that its legs and the feet upon which it stands may be chafed," I hear "so that its legs and the feet upon which it stands may be shafed"
- At 28:47, "Is it you that are set in command over the morals and orders of this district?" I hear "Is it you that are set in command over the morals and order of this district?"
- At 29:48, "it was answered to him that since the Bishop of Ely and the Bishop of Norwich," I hear "it was answered to him that since the Bishop of Ely and the Bishop of Norwick" (Optional note: "Norwich" is actually pronounced "Norrich"!)
- At 33:16, "as if she were turned to a stone in an attitude of horror," I hear "as if she were turning to a stone in an attitude of horror"
- At 36:02, "and came first to the grave where the stone was rolled away?" you say "and came first to the grave when the stone was rolled away?"
- At 38:59, "he is hung over by immoral damsels and kissed and stroked," I hear "he is hung over by immortal damsels and kissed and stroked"

Ford published a revised version of this book in 1935, and from what I can tell, it's a little shorter, so maybe he trimmed a bit of the excess that was in this edition! I do seem to remember the later version being not quite so wordy as this one.

Sarah
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Scarbo wrote: December 7th, 2023, 6:32 pm Thanks again for section 13! Nicely done, as always. I have just a few notes:

- At 23:41, "so that its legs and the feet upon which it stands may be chafed," I hear "so that its legs and the feet upon which it stands may be shafed"
- At 28:47, "Is it you that are set in command over the morals and orders of this district?" I hear "Is it you that are set in command over the morals and order of this district?"
- At 29:48, "it was answered to him that since the Bishop of Ely and the Bishop of Norwich," I hear "it was answered to him that since the Bishop of Ely and the Bishop of Norwick" (Optional note: "Norwich" is actually pronounced "Norrich"!)
- At 33:16, "as if she were turned to a stone in an attitude of horror," I hear "as if she were turning to a stone in an attitude of horror"
- At 36:02, "and came first to the grave where the stone was rolled away?" you say "and came first to the grave when the stone was rolled away?"
- At 38:59, "he is hung over by immoral damsels and kissed and stroked," I hear "he is hung over by immortal damsels and kissed and stroked"

Ford published a revised version of this book in 1935, and from what I can tell, it's a little shorter, so maybe he trimmed a bit of the excess that was in this edition! I do seem to remember the later version being not quite so wordy as this one.
Thanks, Scarbo, that's EXACTLY why I swing by your PL projects - your discipline and patience to follow the words just as written (whether or not 'wordy') to get as close as possible to the author's intention. Little embarrassing about 'chafed', as it wasn't a month ago that I was 'shafing' a 'chafe' or 'shaffing' a 'chaff' somewhere, so should've known better (old habits die hard). And you think there's a difference in meaning between 'immoral' and 'immortal' huh? Well, what do you know? :roll:

Thank you,
Brize
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

BrizeCrize wrote: December 8th, 2023, 8:23 am Thanks, Scarbo, that's EXACTLY why I swing by your PL projects - your discipline and patience to follow the words just as written (whether or not 'wordy') to get as close as possible to the author's intention. Little embarrassing about 'chafed', as it wasn't a month ago that I was 'shafing' a 'chafe' or 'shaffing' a 'chaff' somewhere, so should've known better (old habits die hard). And you think there's a difference in meaning between 'immoral' and 'immortal' huh? Well, what do you know? :roll:

Thank you,
Brize
PL OK! Thank you! And thanks once again for your patience with my PLing approach. :lol:

Sarah
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

May I have section 4 please?
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Cbteddy wrote: December 21st, 2023, 10:18 am May I have section 4 please?
Certainly! Thank you for claiming!

Sarah
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Cheers,
Claire

~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Cbteddy wrote: December 21st, 2023, 6:11 pm Hello! Here is section 4 (11:20).

https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/ladieswhosebrighteyes_04_ford_128kb.mp3
Wow, that was fast! Thank you for section 4. It's very nicely done. I have just a few notes:

- At 2:25, "giving them a speed when they were on the road of an average of about thirty-three and a half miles an hour," you say "giving them a speed which they were on the road of an average of about thirty-three and a half miles an hour"
- At 5:55, "he remembered distinctly having read somewhere that Chaucer or Caxton, taking a voyage from the coast of Kent to Suffolk," I hear "he remembered distinctly having read somewhere that the Chaucer or Caxton, taking a voyage from the coast of Kent to Suffolk"
- At 6:18, "and because the word so nearly resembled the modern German Eier," I hear "and because the world so nearly resembled the modern German Eier"
- At 7:31, "It was impossible that there should not be a line in all that expanse of country," I hear "It was impossible that there should not be a line in all that expanse of a country"
- At 7:35, "He had never seen a really great view of England that had not at least one, two, or sometimes as many as three plumes of smoke," I hear "He had never seen a really great view of England that had not at least one, two, or sometimes as many three plumes of smoke"
- At 7:47, "He could not make out even a road running along the valley at his feet," you say "He could not make out that even a road running along the valley at his feet"

Sarah
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Scarbo wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 11:25 am
Cbteddy wrote: December 21st, 2023, 6:11 pm Hello! Here is section 4 (11:20).

Wow, that was fast! Thank you for section 4. It's very nicely done. I have just a few notes:

- At 2:25, "giving them a speed when they were on the road of an average of about thirty-three and a half miles an hour," you say "giving them a speed which they were on the road of an average of about thirty-three and a half miles an hour"
- At 5:55, "he remembered distinctly having read somewhere that Chaucer or Caxton, taking a voyage from the coast of Kent to Suffolk," I hear "he remembered distinctly having read somewhere that the Chaucer or Caxton, taking a voyage from the coast of Kent to Suffolk"
- At 6:18, "and because the word so nearly resembled the modern German Eier," I hear "and because the world so nearly resembled the modern German Eier"
- At 7:31, "It was impossible that there should not be a line in all that expanse of country," I hear "It was impossible that there should not be a line in all that expanse of a country"
- At 7:35, "He had never seen a really great view of England that had not at least one, two, or sometimes as many as three plumes of smoke," I hear "He had never seen a really great view of England that had not at least one, two, or sometimes as many three plumes of smoke"
- At 7:47, "He could not make out even a road running along the valley at his feet," you say "He could not make out that even a road running along the valley at his feet"
Hello! Thanks for the feedback. I believe I've addressed all the edits and have re-uploaded the file. Run time increased by one second to 11:21.

Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Cbteddy wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 8:03 pm Hello! Thanks for the feedback. I believe I've addressed all the edits and have re-uploaded the file. Run time increased by one second to 11:21.

Thank you! There's just one quick thing to take care of and then you'll be all set: at 7:37, "He had never seen a really great view of England that had not at least one, two, or sometimes as many as three plumes of smoke," I hear "He has never seen a really great view of England that had not at least one, two, or sometimes as many as three plumes of smoke."

Sarah
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Scarbo wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 10:16 am
Cbteddy wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 8:03 pm Hello! Thanks for the feedback. I believe I've addressed all the edits and have re-uploaded the file. Run time increased by one second to 11:21.

Thank you! There's just one quick thing to take care of and then you'll be all set: at 7:37, "He had never seen a really great view of England that had not at least one, two, or sometimes as many as three plumes of smoke," I hear "He has never seen a really great view of England that had not at least one, two, or sometimes as many as three plumes of smoke."
Hi! Correction has been applied to right around 7:37 and file has been re-uploaded.

Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Cbteddy wrote: December 26th, 2023, 6:10 am Hi! Correction has been applied to right around 7:37 and file has been re-uploaded.

PL OK! Thank you!

Sarah
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Hmmn...I see section 3 seems to be an outcast of sorts...perhaps being avoided? Or perhaps just a coincidence. But allow me to dive in, head first, to see if I run into any trouble... say section 14 (part 3, chapter1) please.

Thank you,
Brize