[Historical Fiction] Held Fast For England, by G. A. Henty - thw

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Cbteddy wrote: December 10th, 2023, 6:58 pm Hello! Here is section 10 (30:23).

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/heldfastforengland_10_henty_128kb.mp3
Section 10 is PL OK! :thumbs:
That certainly seems like crazy risk that paid off. I was thinking the whole time, "right, the enemy ship is easy to find, but how will you find your way back?" :shock:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

LG2023 wrote: December 11th, 2023, 10:24 am Hi,
This time it gave the full address.

Chapter 6, The Rock Fortress

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/heldfastforengland_06_henty_128kb.mp3
(37:50)

Let me know if there are questions.
Larry
I was able to get to this sooner than expected, and chapter 6 is PL OK! :thumbs:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

redrun wrote: December 11th, 2023, 11:19 am
Cbteddy wrote: December 10th, 2023, 6:58 pm Hello! Here is section 10 (30:23).

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/heldfastforengland_10_henty_128kb.mp3
Section 10 is PL OK! :thumbs:
That certainly seems like crazy risk that paid off. I was thinking the whole time, "right, the enemy ship is easy to find, but how will you find your way back?" :shock:
Right?! I was wondering how he would easily find the ship. That would have been horrible if he had missed it. And look at the Spanish being so sneaky with their guns!
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

May I please have section 11?
Cheers,
Claire

~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Cbteddy wrote: December 25th, 2023, 7:51 pm May I please have section 11?
Yes, thank you. Section 11 is assigned. :thumbs:
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Here is section 11 (32:02). Bob is one smart cookie!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/heldfastforengland_11_henty_128kb.mp3
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Cbteddy wrote: January 1st, 2024, 3:37 pm Hello! Here is section 11 (32:02). Bob is one smart cookie!

Queued for PL! I'll look forward to hearing what he comes up with. :D
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Cbteddy wrote: January 1st, 2024, 3:37 pm Hello! Here is section 11 (32:02). Bob is one smart cookie!

Smart like a whip! Not an outstanding virtue, but an outstanding talent for sneaky dealings, I'd say.

Section 11, PL OK! :thumbs:
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

Hello! I would like to claim chapters 12&13 if I may! This is my first time recording, so I may have some questions along the way.😊
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

gracesilvey wrote: January 25th, 2024, 11:12 am Hello! I would like to claim chapters 12&13 if I may! This is my first time recording, so I may have some questions along the way.😊
Well, welcome to LibriVox, I'm glad you could join us! :mrgreen:

I've added you to our catalog, and signed you up for those two chapters. You can find your new reader page here:
https://librivox.org/reader/19233
It will keep up to date with any projects you join here on LibriVox. If you'd like the name on that page to show up differently, e.g. as "Grace Silvey", just let me know, and I can adjust it for you.

Nobody makes it through a whole chapter without making some mistakes. There are tips and tricks all around, but if you want to watch how some folks edit, several volunteers have made instructional videos. There are videos about basic editing, noise reduction, and even an easy way to adjust a recording to the right volume, if it's consistently a little high or low.

You'll find most of the instructions are in the first post, but I'm here if you have questions - those instructions do take some getting used to.
If you feel you might not finish by the 2-month mark, do just let me know! I can open it up for assignment to someone else, or can give you some extra time as needed.
Thanks again for joining us, and I look forward to hearing from you! :wink:
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

Thank you so much!! I’m a long-time listener of Librivox(particularly G.A. Henty books😉) so I’m really excited to be part of the team now!

Thank you for the information you shared! Yes, I was able to figure out some of those things when I recorded my practice test, and I also have a little experience in editing so hopefully that will help me.😊 I hope to try my first recording soon!!
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

gracesilvey wrote: January 30th, 2024, 1:36 pm Here is a link to Chapter 12!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/heldfastforengland12.mp3
Thank you, and I'm glad you've come to join us on the reading side! I was also a listener for a long time before I joined, and am so glad that I did. :9:

I've added your link in the Magic Window, and I'll post back once I'm done Proof-Listening and checking the technicals (probably this evening). The file name doesn't match the convention we set in the first post, but I can fix that from my end if it's the only change needed. I'll let you know. :mrgreen:
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

Yes, I have so much more respect for readers now that I AM one.😅😆

Oh, was I supposed to post it in the Magic Window? And I am sorry about the file name...I wasn’t quite sure what to put and I guess I should have taken the time to figure out, sorry!🙈🙂

As this was my first time recording, I know some things are probably wrong, but I’m willing to try to work anything out!☺️
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

gracesilvey wrote: January 30th, 2024, 4:37 pm Yes, I have so much more respect for readers now that I AM one.😅😆

Oh, was I supposed to post it in the Magic Window? And I am sorry about the file name...I wasn’t quite sure what to put and I guess I should have taken the time to figure out, sorry!🙈🙂

As this was my first time recording, I know some things are probably wrong, but I’m willing to try to work anything out!☺️
You're all good on the Magic Window part! That's part of my job, with my "Book Coordinator" (BC) cap on. I'm also signed up to Proof Listen all of the chapters of this book, though that's often a separate role.
The filename bit is toward the bottom of the first post, just above the link to the uploader. One of those things that's easy to miss, but now you'll know exactly where to look next time.

Now, on to your notes! Just two little edits to make, and no re-takes are necessary:
@ the end of the file, we need a bit more silence - I see a little under 4 seconds, where we'd like to be consistent at right about 5 seconds
@ 17:03, there's about 4 seconds of silence here that might have been missed in editing

You've done very well on both reading editing - the more so since I can't tell where probably most of the edits are. I certainly hope to hear more from you! :wink:

When you're done with those edits, please name your MP3 file "heldfastforengland_12_henty_128kb.mp3", upload again, and post both the link and the duration of the file. Todd will need the file duration when he goes to catalog the book, and it helps me spot file transfer errors in the meantime, so we ask folks to make a habit of sending it too.