[Historical Fiction] Held Fast For England, by G. A. Henty - thw

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

Whoops, I must have edited that out on accident. I'm not able to record that part until next Tuesday, so I will be back then!

And on chapter 15...I was wondering where it would be best to say 'part 1'? Would it be correct and fine to add 'part 1' to everywhere I say chapter 15(i.e. Chapter 15, Part 1 of Held Fast for England...etc)?

Oh, thanks!😊 I don't feel like I've done a good job navigating the sentences...the commas are alot of times grammatically misplaced and sometimes it can get to sounding pretty jumpy!😂
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

gracesilvey wrote: February 9th, 2024, 4:26 pm Whoops, I must have edited that out on accident. I'm not able to record that part until next Tuesday, so I will be back then!

And on chapter 15...I was wondering where it would be best to say 'part 1'? Would it be correct and fine to add 'part 1' to everywhere I say chapter 15(i.e. Chapter 15, Part 1 of Held Fast for England...etc)?

Oh, thanks!😊 I don't feel like I've done a good job navigating the sentences...the commas are alot of times grammatically misplaced and sometimes it can get to sounding pretty jumpy!😂
That timing will be perfectly alright. And the jumpiness is relative! Anyone will sound odd to themselves, when they "take on" some of Henty's writing style as a narrator. :lol:

You've got the right idea with the substitutions, but I'll have you read the in/out speech as though the chapter number was "15a", rather than "15, part 1".
For the file name, name it using the Section number in the MW, which is just plain "15".
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

Here is Chapter 14 corrected:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/heldfastforengland_14_henty_128kb.mp3
Duration - 38:50

Alrighty! I'll get to work on Chapter 15!🙂
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

gracesilvey wrote: February 13th, 2024, 12:45 pm Here is Chapter 14 corrected:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/heldfastforengland_14_henty_128kb.mp3
Duration - 38:50

Alrighty! I'll get to work on Chapter 15!🙂
I've done a spot-check, and Chapter 14 is now: PL OK! :thumbs:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Thank you, it's queued for PL! Most likely, tomorrow. :D
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

gracesilvey wrote: February 14th, 2024, 11:26 am Chapter 15a ready!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/heldfastforengland_15_henty_128kb.mp3
Duration - 23:16
Chapter 15a is PL OK! :thumbs:
This was rather a sudden introduction to the character, but Amy seems to have what they call "pluck". Hope they make it back alright! 8-)
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

Can I claim chapters 15b and 16?😊
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

gracesilvey wrote: February 19th, 2024, 12:30 pm Can I claim chapters 15b and 16?😊
Both are yours! :D

For 15b, you'll read the intro as "Chapter 15b" and "Bob's Mission, continued".
The number in the file name will need to match the "Section" column in the Magic Window, so you'll put a 16 there:
heldfastforengland_16_henty_128kb

The last few chapters will be "off by one", in their file names, but it could be worse. :wink:
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

Thank you!
Gotcha, will do!
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Thank you, on my list for tomorrow. :D
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

gracesilvey wrote: February 21st, 2024, 2:50 pm Chapter 15b ready for PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/heldfastforengland_16_henty_128kb.mp3
Duration - 27:48
Wow, a lot happens in this section, and it's only half the chapter! I feel bad for Amy, going from uncertainty in one city to bombardment in another. :shock:

Just a couple of edits for you this time:
@23:30, I hear a repeat of "without a murmur"
@6:15, repeat of "and his plans entirely spoilt"

Also, I don't find it distracting myself, but our Checker tool says the background noise is a little high in this one. So, as a completely optional edit, you could try out the Noise Reduction tool in Audacity (here's a video by volunteer philchenevert, if you'd like to see it done).
I have to use it all the time because of a loud and annoying fan in my recording space, but again, it's optional for you. :wink:
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

I fixed those two edits and here is the new recording.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/heldfastforengland_16_henty_128kb.mp3
Duration - 27:42

I did apply a noise reduction of 12db, so if the background noise is not distracting I think I'll leave it as it is.😊
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

gracesilvey wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 3:24 pm I fixed those two edits and here is the new recording.
Then: I've checked these two spots, and section 16 is PL OK! :thumbs: