[GROUP] Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837 - dl

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

redrun wrote: July 12th, 2023, 12:50 am I'll take section 11, if I may. I find the writer's attitude comes through in his intentional usage of italics. :mrgreen:

I can also take section 32 (the next of the tables) off your hands. If you're ok with what I did for section 2 of the previous report, I can do something similar here.
As an example, I could read line items 23 and 24 as:
Tribe: Chickasaws, treaty of October 20, 1832. Land ceded to United States: six million, four hundred twenty-two thousand, four hundred. Amount paid: three million. Footnote: Estimated net proceeds, the whole amount of which they will receive.

Tribe: Same (Chickasaws), treaty of May 24, 1834. Amount paid: 46,000. Footnote: Annuity
And here's how I'd arrive at that, in addition to instructions you've posted:
  • Skip the line/item numbers. There isn't heading for them, and this would match the format of the next table.
  • After the first reading of the column headings, abbreviate as "tribe", "treaty of", "land ceded to United States", "land assigned to Indians", and "amount paid". For the "total" line at the end, don't abbreviate.
  • When "Same" is used either as the tribe name or a footnote, read "Same", then repeat the previous name or note that it refers to.
  • Read the footnotes at the end of the corresponding entry, as though it were a "Footnotes" column at the end. This matches the usage of a "Remarks" column in the next table.
  • Read only numbers, rather than adding units. It's probably safe to say it's dollars and acres, again as in the next table, but I'd err on the side of caution unless you prefer I read them in.
This all sounds quite reasonable. Thank you! I've added you to the MW.
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Sections 4, 5, and 29 are all PL OK.
ksleeper

Post by ksleeper »

stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Thank you so much! I appreciate how much of your voice you've given to the project.
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Sections 6-9 are PL OK!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Here is section 11, ready for PL at your convenience.
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/annualreportdec1837_11_commissionerofindianaffairs_128kb.mp3 (6:04)

I'll be back with that land-table. You've heard of a water-table; perhaps a land-table is more commonly called a "mesa". :hmm:
:wink:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

redrun wrote: July 21st, 2023, 6:47 am Here is section 11, ready for PL at your convenience.
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/annualreportdec1837_11_commissionerofindianaffairs_128kb.mp3 (6:04)

I'll be back with that land-table. You've heard of a water-table; perhaps a land-table is more commonly called a "mesa". :hmm:
:wink:
Ha! That was good for a chuckle.

Kristin, if you want to put this in the MW and PL, go ahead. My internet would make updating that interesting at the moment.
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I'm glad! Now, don't mind me, I'm just piling on the work while folks are busy elsewhere. I'll be around for fixes whenever they're needed.
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/annualreportdec1837_32_commissionerofindianaffairs_128kb.mp3 (17:01)

In case it helps in PLing this section, I've left about 1 second of silence after each entry in the table. When I went to review, I used Audacity's "Analyze" -> "Sound Finder..." tool to show me a label for each sound between those 1-second pauses. The label numbers don't match those in the table, but this made it easier for me to keep track and to jump around to different items.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
ksleeper

Post by ksleeper »

stepheather wrote: July 15th, 2023, 9:25 pm
Thank you so much! I appreciate how much of your voice you've given to the project.
It's a fascinating read, trying to see that world through primary sources. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Hopefully, I'll be able to sign up for more soon!
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

redrun wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 1:05 pm I'm glad! Now, don't mind me, I'm just piling on the work while folks are busy elsewhere. I'll be around for fixes whenever they're needed.
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/annualreportdec1837_32_commissionerofindianaffairs_128kb.mp3 (17:01)

In case it helps in PLing this section, I've left about 1 second of silence after each entry in the table. When I went to review, I used Audacity's "Analyze" -> "Sound Finder..." tool to show me a label for each sound between those 1-second pauses. The label numbers don't match those in the table, but this made it easier for me to keep track and to jump around to different items.
I've got both your sections in the MW on a trip to civilization for laundry. :)
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

JonathanPruett

Post by JonathanPruett »

JonathanPruett wrote: July 1st, 2023, 10:09 am
MrsHand wrote: May 29th, 2023, 7:39 am My apologies for a lack of timeliness on PLing section 1.

I have one small PL Note....

at 5:24 a stumble "could become la...a law"

Well read!
Corrected file uploaded to https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/annualreportdec1837_01_commissionerofindianaffairs_128kb.mp3

Thanks!
Just giving a bump since the Magic Table hasn't been updated yet - thanks!

Jonathan
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

JonathanPruett wrote: July 25th, 2023, 10:02 am
JonathanPruett wrote: July 1st, 2023, 10:09 am
MrsHand wrote: May 29th, 2023, 7:39 am My apologies for a lack of timeliness on PLing section 1.

I have one small PL Note....

at 5:24 a stumble "could become la...a law"

Well read!
Corrected file uploaded to https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/annualreportdec1837_01_commissionerofindianaffairs_128kb.mp3

Thanks!
Just giving a bump since the Magic Table hasn't been updated yet - thanks!

Jonathan
Thanks for bumping it and sorry I overlooked it. I’ve put it in as ready for spot PL. 🙂
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Section 1 now PL OK!
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Sections 11 & 32 are PL OK as well.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Since that one went well, I may as well continue! Here's requesting 33 and 34.